Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-16-2022, 06:22 PM   #1
Jorge1SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Smile Headers Question

Hello everyone, I’ll keep it simple and straight to the point, I have a 2016 camaro 1SS and I want headers to make my car louder and I have a few brands in mind (Speed Engineering and Texas Speed to name a few) but I DO NOT want to remove my cats or any other stock parts besides the headers (unless I absolutely have to for installation). I have an axle back exhaust already and plan to put my NPP back on once the headers come to be in control of the volume. I know there’s catted/catless, mid pipes, and all that good stuff and to be honest im a rookie when it comes to knowledge about headers so I hope my question isn’t dumb but: How do I go about getting headers when all I want is to just make my car louder without not having to remove my cats or any more parts than I need to? Also, I’m not ordering them for the power in addition to the sound, I just want my car to be louder. Living in California, it limits me too so I don’t want to put even more stuff on my car than I have to. If anyone has any exact answers or tips for me that understands that I simply want headers for the noise without modifying my car too much, please let me know, thanks.

Last edited by Jorge1SS; 02-16-2022 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Typo
Jorge1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:31 PM   #2
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
1. You will have to tune it or it will run crummy. Some people say you don’t have to tune, let those people keep wrecking their own cars. Get it tuned.
2. The amount of work to install headers is not easy if you have never ventured down that path before so take your time and don’t buy the hype.
3. There is absolutely no reason to keep your stock cats if you plan to go headers.
>3A They won’t fit the collectors of the new headers, the primaries will have to get deleted no later what as the LT headers make up that entire dimension.
>3B you are already illegal at that point so the cats mean nothing.
>3C The amount of work you will have to put in just to pretty much fab up your own mid pipe to keep the stock 4 cats on the car is going to cost more than an aftermarket product and take longer than just doing it the right way.

It sounds like you just want loud so you can get pulled over and get state reffed. So make your life easy and just get some cat delete pipes and get it tuned. At least it will cost less and be easier to remove WHEN you get pulled over.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:48 PM   #3
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge1SS View Post
Hello everyone, I’ll keep it simple and straight to the point, I have a 2016 camaro 1SS and I want headers to make my car louder and I have a few brands in mind (Speed Engineering and Texas Speed to name a few) but I DO NOT want to remove my cats or any other stock parts besides the headers (unless I absolutely have to for installation). I have an axle back exhaust already and plan to put my NPP back on once the headers come to be in control of the volume. I know there’s catted/catless, mid pipes, and all that good stuff and to be honest im a rookie when it comes to knowledge about headers so I hope my question isn’t dumb but: How do I go about getting headers when all I want is to just make my car louder without not having to remove my cats or any more parts than I need to? Also, I’m not ordering them for the power in addition to the sound, I just want my car to be louder. Living in California, it limits me too so I don’t want to put even more stuff on my car than I have to. If anyone has any exact answers or tips for me that understands that I simply want headers for the noise without modifying my car too much, please let me know, thanks.
Hate to say it but Bruce is right.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:50 PM   #4
Puddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE View Post
1. You will have to tune it or it will run crummy. Some people say you don’t have to tune, let those people keep wrecking their own cars. Get it tuned.
2. The amount of work to install headers is not easy if you have never ventured down that path before so take your time and don’t buy the hype.
3. There is absolutely no reason to keep your stock cats if you plan to go headers.
>3A They won’t fit the collectors of the new headers, the primaries will have to get deleted no later what as the LT headers make up that entire dimension.
>3C The amount of work you will have to put in just to pretty much fab up your own mid pipe to keep the stock 4 cats on the car is going to cost more than an aftermarket product and take longer than just doing it the right way.

It sounds like you just want loud so you can get pulled over and get state reffed. So make your life easy and just get some cat delete pipes and get it tuned. At least it will cost less and be easier to remove WHEN you get pulled over.
You been pulled over yet? You have headers and Mbrp so I know you're loud.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:17 PM   #5
JRodSan

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:

Well said!
Old 02-16-2022, 07:34 PM   #6
BruceWayne1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin View Post
You been pulled over yet? You have headers and Mbrp so I know you're loud.
I don’t daily my car. I pridefully drive my 2002 Ford Explorer with 330k miles lol.

I didn’t commit to headers for the sound. I knew I was risking getting pulled over when I installed them but I did it the right way. There is no kinda breaking the law. Also I don’t blast around town like these Hellcat bros (no saying that you do) but I swear some guys just want to get heard and ask to be pulled over. Yes I do get on it when I see an opportunity to. But I don’t race people on the street and I don’t weave in and out of traffic like an asshole (again not saying that you do this) But these are the things that get you lit up. I’ve been pulled over more in my explorer than I have in my Camaro. I keep the peace with my neighbors and I know when and where to lay low. BUT this does not remove all the risk and I am aware.

I am NOT, not supporting your desire to modify your car. But I am supporting doing things the correct way. ALSO….. MSD wires suck so if you decide to change yours, go Taylor wires all the way.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:49 PM   #7
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
headers and cats thru the stock exhaust is barely louder than bone stock. the noise increase will come from removing the cats.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:28 PM   #8
Puddin

Quote:
I don’t daily my car. I pridefully drive my 2002 Ford Explorer with 330k miles lol.

I didn’t commit to headers for the sound. I knew I was risking getting pulled over when I installed them but I did it the right way. There is no kinda breaking the law. Also I don’t blast around town like these Hellcat bros (no saying that you do) but I swear some guys just want to get heard and ask to be pulled over. Yes I do get on it when I see an opportunity to. But I don’t race people on the street and I don’t weave in and out of traffic like an asshole (again not saying that you do this) But these are the things that get you lit up. I’ve been pulled over more in my explorer than I have in my Camaro. I keep the peace with my neighbors and I know when and where to lay low. BUT this does not remove all the risk and I am aware.

I am NOT, not supporting your desire to modify your car. But I am supporting doing things the correct way. ALSO….. MSD wires suck so if you decide to change yours, go Taylor wires all the way.
No worries was just generally curious if you've been lit up since you're in the same state as OP. I had a feeling you had another ride just wasn't sure if you drove the Camaro often.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:38 PM   #9
BruceWayne1LE

The amount of traffic I have to sit in everyday with the amount of crap on the roads I drive would just make the Camaro not fun at all.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:09 AM   #10
Jorge1SS

I am new to this website for the most part as I don’t post, but i appreciate all tips. Living in california does suck when it comes to traffic and all the stupid rules they have with exhaust noise and emissions. I will look into upgrading all these parts and doing it the right way, I don’t race or anything so im not stupid about my car but like mentioned I do enjoy getting on it when the opportunity arises.
Old 02-17-2022, 02:11 AM   #11
Jorge1SS

Quote:
The amount of traffic I have to sit in everyday with the amount of crap on the roads I drive would just make the Camaro not fun at all.
Do you have any sound clips of your car? TSP was an option and I currently have the MBRP axle back on so just for reference id like to hear it, and of course to see how gorgeous it sounds.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:39 AM   #12
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
headers and cats thru the stock exhaust is barely louder than bone stock. the noise increase will come from removing the cats.
Are you talking shorty headers with all 4 stock cats here? Because long tube headers with high flow cats into NPP muffler is a lot louder than stock. Have had my SS with all-stock exhaust NPP next to another SS using the long tubes with high flows into NPP. Big difference, much more noise with the long tubes.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 05:27 AM   #13
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
Are you talking shorty headers with all 4 stock cats here? Because long tube headers with high flow cats into NPP muffler is a lot louder than stock. Have had my SS with all-stock exhaust NPP next to another SS using the long tubes with high flows into NPP. Big difference, much more noise with the long tubes.
i am referring to the same comparison. a friend of mine had kooks headers/cats into the remaining factory exhaust on a 17 1LE. i could barely tell a difference between the 2. no one around could tell who was making a pull because they sounded the same at wot, they thought his was stock, too. that's my experience.
Old 02-17-2022, 05:59 AM   #14
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i am referring to the same comparison. a friend of mine had kooks headers/cats into the remaining factory exhaust on a 17 1LE. i could barely tell a difference between the 2. no one around could tell who was making a pull because they sounded the same at wot, they thought his was stock, too. that's my experience.
Weird, I have seen a few long-tube cars around with NPP muffler, and they were all much louder than my all-stock NPP exhaust.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1ss, cats, exhaust, headers, midpipes