Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-15-2022, 12:10 PM   #1
bchaney

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Car randomly dies

Finally got the car all back together after spinning 3 main bearings. We went through everything with a fine tooth comb. Car has been running great for the last 750 miles, just had it tuned 2 weeks ago after getting the break in miles on the new motor. Car made really good numbers and the tuner didn't find anything wrong. (908whp)

With that being said yesterday I went on a cruise, car was running good, stop to get a hair cut come out car wouldn't crank. No the battery wasn't weak and no the starter wasn't heat soak. The car was spinning over good. After 2 tries it finally fired up like nothing was wrong. I didn't think to much about it and carry on with my day. About 25 miles later I was driving down some back roads, driving normal and the car just DIES, no spit no sputter nothing just dies. Luckily I coasted to someone driveway. I try to crank it again and it just would spin over but would not crank. I let it sit for about 15 mins or so still no luck. There was no check engine lights but I went ahead and hook up my cheap 40 dollar scanner that I keep in the car and it showed a pending code P0101. So I thought maybe the mass air flow sensor was bad. I went and got the truck and trailer and a new mass air flow sensor. Installed it and still no luck. Got the car home I unplugged the battery and the computer let it sit for 30 minutes or so and try it again and she fired right up. I went for a test drive everything seem fine went to do WOT short pull as soon as I hit the gas it died. Tried disconnecting the battery and computer on side of the road with no luck would not crank. Trailer the car home for the second time. Decided it was time for some cold beers and a few dart games, a couple hours later with the car sitting with the battery disconnected we try it again and of course it didn't crank. We then pulled a plug wire to see it was firing and BOOM the car cranks. We tried it few more times through the night and it crank right up every time!

So I'm lost and I don't know where to start. Any help would be appreciated!

Just a few details on the car
TMS 416
Magnuson 2300
Katech 103
DSX low side
Alky dual nozzels
Old 01-15-2022, 02:15 PM   #2
ZO6Ted
Old badass

Drives: 14GMC 2.9 16GMC Turbos 2020Silv.6.2
A loose ground or another wire makes sense.
ZO6Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
SSUNDVL

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
You might have a short in the battery cable or ground. Nonetheless check out the diy section and there is a long post about adding an engine ground wire, I did that and it solved similar problem for me + more like random tach jumping and other power issues.

Did you happen to feel the red cable or smell any plastic melting in the trunk?
SSUNDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:51 PM   #4
bchaney

Not saying that it's not a ground but that was one thing when installing the new motor that we really paid attention to, but it will not hurt to go back over it.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:21 PM   #5
SSUNDVL

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchaney View Post
Not saying that it's not a ground but that was one thing when installing the new motor that we really paid attention to, but it will not hurt to go back over it.
All of my grounds were connected and surfaces cleaned, but was having issues, the extra ground cable worked wonders. Nonetheless, if it happens again see if the battery or cables are super hot if they are there could be a short.
SSUNDVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:35 PM   #6
bchaney

Tuner seems to think it may be fuel related, possibly losing fuel pressure. Yesterday I order MPVI2+ so I can data log with HP tuners. Hopefully it will help diagnose what is going on.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
cjperformance

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary
Just throwing out stuff. The fact it set a MAF code and you replaced the MAF itself might point towards a bent pin, or broken wire inside the plastic insulation (cable jacket), or a pin that backed itself out of the connector. I've seen where a wire harness gets pulled and the wire inside the jacket gets broken, but the plastic is intact. Those are terrible to find.

Since you recently had it apart, got the code, replaced the MAF with no luck... could mean intermittent loose connection somewhere in that system... Next time it doesn't start, jiggle the heck out of the wiring harness and see if it makes a diff. Are you running a MAP and MAF? It should have failover ability AFAIK if it was tuned that way. So bad MAF (or associated wiring) alone shouldn't be a problem, unless speed-density was disabled.

Long story short, def acts like a wiring/connection issue.
CircleD 3K Stall | QA1 CF Driveshaft
Forgestar F14 Drag 17x10 NT555R2 305/45/17 Rear
Forgestar F14 18x8 NT555G2 235/50/18 Front
10.84@131 w/4.13" pulley
??.??@??? w/3.7" pulley (installed & tuning)
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 06:50 PM   #8
bchaney

I'll differently check that this weekend. I am running maf and there is a wire that ties to it for the alky.
Old 01-21-2022, 01:18 PM   #9
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I would try running the car with real-time data logging and see if you get any pending codes or data dropout.
This sounds like intermittent electrical problem.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 01:31 PM   #10
bchaney

Yea we are messing with it now and we can find anything wrong my hp tuners will be here tomorrow
Old 02-07-2022, 06:06 PM   #11
1LE801
"Lohla"

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 :"Lohla"
Find it??