Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

AWE Tuning

Old 04-26-2022, 03:25 PM   #155
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
I wonder if there are any contributing factors to this problem besides bad luck, and obviously a design flaw. After years of reading and worrying about this, I still don't have an idea as to what percentage of gen 6 verts have it occur. Is it extreme temperature, top up windows open driving, etc? In any case, it's long sounded like something GM should cover past warranty.
Zoom in on the area just below this delamination. It looks like the black "joining area" is beginning to shrink away. maybe over time, sun dries it out & cause it to detach?
Attached Images

classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 06:11 PM   #156
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
It’s a bad design, period. There’s no reason so many people have this issue, with so few miles on on their cars. I will say, I really miss my Gen 6 convertibles, but not the misc. creaks, rattles, wind noise and concern over other known failure points (such as this). There’s always a give and take, but for a BIG $ premium on the Vert, you’d expect something more than an extension of a long-standing TSB…..Like fix the freakin problem.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:28 PM   #157
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
Zoom in on the area just below this delamination. It looks like the black "joining area" is beginning to shrink away. maybe over time, sun dries it out & cause it to detach?
That's an interesting theory. It would be interesting to learn how many owners who've had the problem, report extended exposure of the top to direct sunlight. There have been 2 recent posts of recurring separation in the replacement top. Do those commenters park top up in the sun regularly? I hope they reply.
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:28 AM   #158
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
That's an interesting theory. It would be interesting to learn how many owners who've had the problem, report extended exposure of the top to direct sunlight. There have been 2 recent posts of recurring separation in the replacement top. Do those commenters park top up in the sun regularly? I hope they reply.
I fit in the category of having my top replaced twice (see page 7 post #89 & #94). It was 4 1/2 months between my 2nd and 3rd top. I do park my car outdoors in SoCal so it's exposed to the sun. Already have two other cars in the garage.

I doubt the delamination on my 2nd top was caused by extended exposure in the sun. Another point of reference, I purchased my 2017 Camaro new in 2019 (it was a leftover at a dealership in La Quinta CA, near Palm Springs). It was sitting in the sun for at least 2 years before the delamination appeared.
lcd550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:44 AM   #159
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
It’s a bad design, period. There’s no reason so many people have this issue, with so few miles on on their cars. I will say, I really miss my Gen 6 convertibles, but not the misc. creaks, rattles, wind noise and concern over other known failure points (such as this). There’s always a give and take, but for a BIG $ premium on the Vert, you’d expect something more than an extension of a long-standing TSB…..Like fix the freakin problem.
I'm thinking of ordering a top from topsonline.com. It will be the Carhart model - 5 year warranty. I sent pictures of my delamination and I'm waiting for them to tell me if their design is the same or if the window is "sandwiched" between 2 layers of fabric or not. Not sure who manufactures the factory tops for Chevy.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:21 AM   #160
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

In researching replacement tops, I have discovered that topsonline.com sells a top made by GAHH tops and it has a "limited lifetime" warranty on the window adhesive bond.

They explained that if the original purchaser of the top ever has the window delaminate again, they will get another top free, but still has to pay their own installation costs.

cost is about $1100 - even with a labor cost to replace, I don't think that's a bad deal.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:11 PM   #161
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
In researching replacement tops, I have discovered that topsonline.com sells a top made by GAHH tops and it has a "limited lifetime" warranty on the window adhesive bond.

They explained that if the original purchaser of the top ever has the window delaminate again, they will get another top free, but still has to pay their own installation costs.

cost is about $1100 - even with a labor cost to replace, I don't think that's a bad deal.
Good to know, as I'll probably have to replace my top in a few years. Thankfully there is an installer in the city in which I live and another 2-3 within 30 miles. Thanks for sharing this info.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 12:21 PM   #162
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
Good to know, as I'll probably have to replace my top in a few years. Thankfully there is an installer in the city in which I live and another 2-3 within 30 miles. Thanks for sharing this info.
The "Robbins" brand that they sell only has a 5 year limited warranty. Both Robbins & Gahh come with an 18 month labor coverage.
Also, neither come with a headliner - you must reuse your old headliner. To me, that's not an issue; my headliner looks great.

https://www.topsonline.com/model/Con...ixth_Gen).html
Old 06-30-2022, 06:57 AM   #163
harrisrwe

Drives: 17' 1SS Vert, Nightfall
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I had mine replaced for this issue around the 30-35k mark (I bought the car at 20k). I'm now sitting at 60k and it's doing it again. It's always been a garage car so no major direct sun exposure except when I take it to work.

I'm wondering if it's related to automatic car wash driers or windows down/top up driving. I'll admit it, I'll take it through a touchless or drag through wash every now and then, and those blowers are so dang strong I worry the glass is gonna crack it flexes around so much.
harrisrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 03:08 PM   #164
MANNAXMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisrwe View Post
I'm wondering if it's related to automatic car wash driers or windows down/top up driving. I'll admit it, I'll take it through a touchless or drag through wash every now and then, and those blowers are so dang strong I worry the glass is gonna crack it flexes around so much.
Automatic car washes and driving with the windows down while the top is up may contribute, but neither situation is necessary. I will have owned my 2016 for six years this coming Labor Day. My rear window has been coming unglued slowly for about 2½ years. It's never been through an automatic car wash since I bought it new and I don't drive with the windows down if the top is up. My top is only up if it's raining, too cold or too hot. In any of those situations, the windows are closed.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:22 PM   #165
MANNAXMAN

Post #12058 from the What did you do to your 6th Gen Camaro today?! thread in the general forum:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk2019 View Post
Though only at the early stages, i noticed the glass delaminating slightly from the top (common problem, widely discussed in the convertible section). Being early, I probably have another year or so before it separates and water tightness is a problem. However, seeing as i live in the UK and we're known for our poor weather, I wanted to change the top before we were in the depths of winter (about 10 months of the year here!) and I had a leaky roof that I needed to change on the driveway. I bought a top from gahh automotive who claim to have improved upon the gm oem top with regard to the window. As you can see from the photographs, it is a little different but time will tell as to whether it holds up longer than the oem version (people who've had tops replaced by dealers with oem parts claim that the delamination re-occurs). Being in the UK, a warranty claim with gm wasn't an option and we're lacking in dealer support so I decided to change the top myself. The top was fairly reasonably priced (international shipping and taxes are pricey though) and with the exception of the revised glass bonding, the top is identical to the oem version. Going slowly the swap took me about 4 hours. There was a lot of swearing and it wasn't the easiest task but definitely within the capabilities of a competent DIYer. Any questions or if I can help anyone, feel free to send me a message.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:07 PM   #166
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Top work!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 12:16 PM   #167
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
Post #12058 from the What did you do to your 6th Gen Camaro today?! thread in the general forum:
Is that small delamination spot on the new one?
Old 07-06-2022, 02:12 PM   #168
Uk2019
UK2019

Drives: Camaro 2017 2ss/eu spec convertible
No, that's one of the 4 or so spots on the old one. Picture 2 is the old roof, 4 is the new one. You can see the difference in the bonding method, the gahh one doesn't have a visible bead of adhesive like the gm oem one does
Uk2019 is offline   Reply With Quote