Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Southeast

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #1
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
First CCR Autocross of 2017!!!

Come join us Saturday March 4th for the first Autocross of the Central Carolinas Region SCCA in 2017. We provide the cones for you to hit, helmets if you do not already have one (Snell SA/M 2005 or newer if you are bringing your own) and driving instructors for novices. Just bring yourself, a valid driver's license and an eligible vehicle in good working order to:

zMax Dragway
6570 Bruton Smith Blvd
Concord NC 28027

SCHEDULE

Gates Open: 6:30 AM
Late Registration: 9:00 AM - 9:15 AM - $5.00 Late Registration Fee
Tech Inspection: 7:00 AM - 9:15 AM
Novice Walks: 8:00 AM, 8:30 AM, 9:00 AM
Novice Meeting: 9:30 AM
Drivers Meeting: 9:45 AM
First Car Out: 10:15 AM

EVENT FEES

SCCA Members: $50.00
Non-Members: $65.00

There is an extra $5.00 on site registration fee if you did not pre-register.
We will NOT be taking online payments.
We will be accepting Cash, Credit Card and PayPal payments on-site.

REGISTRATION

http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/...tocross-583511

CLASSING

If you have not Autocrossed before or have limited experience please register as a "Novice" class so we can make sure we have enough instructors for everyone. As a novice we are not concerned about your vehicles class, but more about getting you off on the right foot, classing can come later on. In addition novices will get an extra run. (total of 5) You are welcome to register as a novice the entire season if you wish, and the last 4 events of the season we will be running a "Rookie" class and you will have the opportunity to compete for Rookie of the Year honors! If you are an experienced Autocrosser and just wish to register in your normal class for season points here are the default street classes for Camaros.

6th Gen
SS & LT V6 (both non 1LE) F-Street
LT I4T D-Street
1LE V8 A-Street
1LE V6 B-Street
ZL1 TBD

5th Gen
SS (all including 1LE) F-Street
All V6 models D-Street
Z/28 & ZL1 A-Street

These classes assume only modifications in accordance with SCCA Street Class rules. If you have other modifications and are a NON Novice I can help you with your cars classing, just send me a PM.

I hope you can join us, it will be a lot of fun.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
I'll be at this one. Bought my SCCA membership just yesterday. My RotoFab won't put me out of F-street class I presume? Only other mods are Vitesse throttle controller and a skipshift eliminator.

Actually, I guess I'll be in the novice class anyway! Sweet!
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #3
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecchi667 View Post
I'll be at this one. Bought my SCCA membership just yesterday. My RotoFab won't put me out of F-street class I presume? Only other mods are Vitesse throttle controller and a skipshift eliminator.

Actually, I guess I'll be in the novice class anyway! Sweet!
Glad you are going to make it! I will try to save a spot for you near our tent next to the pit/grid area. You can hang out with our group and we will make sure you get signed in, course walks and everything.

The Rotofab will knock you out of F-Street unfortunately, but as noted you should be signing up for novice where it won't matter for now. I did the same thing, bought a cold air intake for my 5th gen and then removed it when I started autocross so I could stay in F-Street. If you leave it on after your novice season or when the Rookie class starts, it will bump you up to Street Touring class, either STU or STP. (Street Touring Ultra, or Street Touring Ponycar) That will be a significant bump up to a much tougher PAX score. (if you want I can explain PAX score if you or anyone else doesn't know what that is)

I believe the Vitesse Throttle Controller will be in the same since it technically alters one of the parameters that is controlled by the ECU, and any Tune would bump you into Street Touring. I have strong opinions on the Vitesse, but that aside in autocross and racing in general you need very precise throttle inputs and anything that changes that is not helpful.

Also just keep in mind that this is competition at the local level and mods are not policed as strictly as they will be if you were to go to a nationals level event. Someone at the local level can protest you and if your mod is deemed incorrect for your chosen class you can be forced to remove it or change classes but that rarely happens and probably won't unless you are beating someone regularly. It's really friendly competition and even people you are directly competing against will be more than happy to help you improve.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:15 AM   #4
Ecchi667

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
Glad you are going to make it! I will try to save a spot for you near our tent next to the pit/grid area. You can hang out with our group and we will make sure you get signed in, course walks and everything.

The Rotofab will knock you out of F-Street unfortunately, but as noted you should be signing up for novice where it won't matter for now. I did the same thing, bought a cold air intake for my 5th gen and then removed it when I started autocross so I could stay in F-Street. If you leave it on after your novice season or when the Rookie class starts, it will bump you up to Street Touring class, either STU or STP. (Street Touring Ultra, or Street Touring Ponycar) That will be a significant bump up to a much tougher PAX score. (if you want I can explain PAX score if you or anyone else doesn't know what that is)

I believe the Vitesse Throttle Controller will be in the same since it technically alters one of the parameters that is controlled by the ECU, and any Tune would bump you into Street Touring. I have strong opinions on the Vitesse, but that aside in autocross and racing in general you need very precise throttle inputs and anything that changes that is not helpful.

Also just keep in mind that this is competition at the local level and mods are not policed as strictly as they will be if you were to go to a nationals level event. Someone at the local level can protest you and if your mod is deemed incorrect for your chosen class you can be forced to remove it or change classes but that rarely happens and probably won't unless you are beating someone regularly. It's really friendly competition and even people you are directly competing against will be more than happy to help you improve.
That sounds great, thanks!

I'll be trying runs with and without the Vitesse to see which I find better I think. I'm pretty open minded to it, and I think it *could* actually be helpful, but I can also see how that less linear throttle input would be thought of as only a disadvantage. I'm keen to experiment for sure!

I've only done track days before, so autocross is all new for me! Looking forward to it!
Old 02-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #5
blpadge2

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Already booked up for the 4th, but I hope I can make it to the event on the 26th.

OK to run a Gen 6 SS convertible in autocross as long as I have a helmet? Can I run it top down or does it have to be top up?
blpadge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #6
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blpadge2 View Post
Already booked up for the 4th, but I hope I can make it to the event on the 26th.

OK to run a Gen 6 SS convertible in autocross as long as I have a helmet? Can I run it top down or does it have to be top up?
Convertibles are fine for SCCA Autocross, and you have to wear a Snell SA/M2005 or newer helmet regardless of what you are driving. We have loaners though so don't worry if you don't have a helmet. You can run top up or down, your preference. Most of the guys that run Miatas always run them with the top down, but it's not a requirement.

If you have any other questions or concerns you can post here or PM me, I will check here every day.

Hope you can make it, you will definitely have a great time. Can't wait for the season to start!
Old 02-19-2017, 08:15 AM   #7
blpadge2

Two quick questions.

1. Besides Snell rated helmet, is any other safety gear required/recommended? i.e. firesuit, gloves, driving shoes, etc.?

2. As for car numbers, do you pick your own or does SCCA or CCR assign them?

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
Cheveyboy

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Going to try for this one in March.
Cheveyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #9
Egon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blpadge2 View Post
Two quick questions.

1. Besides Snell rated helmet, is any other safety gear required/recommended? i.e. firesuit, gloves, driving shoes, etc.?

2. As for car numbers, do you pick your own or does SCCA or CCR assign them?

Thanks.
Not really. There are some modified class cars/karts that require other safety equipment, but for Street, Street Touring, & Street Prepared a Snell SA/M helmet is all you need.

CCR does not keep track of or assign numbers, but you can't have the same number as someone else in your class. If you are new to autocross, you should be signing up for our novice class and will just use tape numbers for the time being. (we have the tape) Once you get a few events under your belt and we can help you determine what class your car is in then we can see who already has what numbers and what is available for you. If you have something in mind already you can PM me and I can help you class your car and tell you what numbers are already in use in that class.

Vinyl Vision Concepts is one of our Sponsors this season and does some phenomenal work with custom numbers and I highly recommend them. When you patronize them, you would also be supporting our region indirectly due to their sponsorship if you don't already have numbers for your car. https://www.facebook.com/VinylVisionConcepts/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheveyboy View Post
Going to try for this one in March.
Awesome, I hope you can make it. Let me know when you know for sure so I can set aside some parking for you and help you get set up and do some course walks and all of that good stuff. I usually set up the course on Friday and I can reserve some parking space for our group close to the grid/pit area.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
Cheveyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
Awesome, I hope you can make it. Let me know when you know for sure so I can set aside some parking for you and help you get set up and do some course walks and all of that good stuff. I usually set up the course on Friday and I can reserve some parking space for our group close to the grid/pit area.
I'll register in the next few days. Verified that my wife has off that day. So the only reason I wont be going is up to the weather. I do about 1 or two a year, so while I'm no expert, I'm not completely wet behind the ears lol. Looking forward to meeting you!

Last edited by Cheveyboy; 02-19-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:42 PM   #11
Egon

Last few days to sign up online to avoid the extra on site registration fee! Don't miss the first event of the season!

If you are planning on coming and haven't autocrossed before please shoot me a PM so I can keep an eye out for you and make sure you get signed up ok and get course walks and all that good stuff. Hope to see you all there!
Old 03-03-2017, 05:18 PM   #12
Cheveyboy

Looks like its going to be a busy one tomorrow. See ya all there.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
Ecchi667

Thanks for all your help yesterday, JT! Here's a video of my last run so people can see how big this course is:

Looking forward to the next one!
Old 03-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #14
blpadge2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecchi667 View Post
Thanks for all your help yesterday, JT! Here's a video of my last run so people can see how big this course is:

Looking forward to the next one!
Looks like a course with room to wind the V8 up a bit. Can't wait to be there for the next one.