Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-06-2021, 03:19 PM   #141
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
My rear window has been slowly coming unglued over the last year and a half or so. Just wondering how the windows are holding up for those who have had their top replaced.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:27 PM   #142
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
My rear window has been slowly coming unglued over the last year and a half or so. Just wondering how the windows are holding up for those who have had their top replaced.
Mine was repaired under warranty (top replaced) in December 2017. So far, so good.

However, my Camaro is not a daily driver and is garaged between drives. Sometimes, even covered while in the garage if it is going to be setting for awhile.

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:35 PM   #143
chovaz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
My 2017 convertible top window is coming unglued. Seems that the top is available online for about $950. Is it a DIY job to replace or do you need special tools / experience? Any guides on how it’s done?
chovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:27 PM   #144
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Well, it’s not a terribly a difficult job….I watched a (non Camaro)YouTube video on it.

But, from my perspective, It looks time consuming (if you’re a beginner) and past experience is most likely needed (if you want a nice job).

I’d tackle a lot of repairs, but probably not a top replacement.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #145
chovaz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Well, it’s not a terribly a difficult job….I watched a (non Camaro)YouTube video on it.

But, from my perspective, It looks time consuming (if you’re a beginner) and past experience is most likely needed (if you want a nice job).

I’d tackle a lot of repairs, but probably not a top replacement.
Hmm...thanks. I've reached out to 5 shops here (Orlando area) and nobody has returned my calls. Guess they're too busy!
chovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 01:43 PM   #146
Jimmy'18

Drives: 2011 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
Hey guys. Been a while since I've posted but mine has steadily been delaminating since 2019. It started in the upper right hand corner and is now at both bottom sides. It's getting really bad now and the car has 6,300 miles on it with "no windows down operation" thanks to reading don't do that on here. That in itself sucks.

I had the tranny shudder and took it to the dealer for the updated fluid as it concerned me more. I had them note the glass problem while there. I'm not necessarily worried about the warranty because of that notation I have in writing. They're an awesome dealer (Cadillac as well) so I think they'll honor it.

Is the new, updated top per the TSB and new part number any better than the original one? Thanks in advance.

Stock for now
Jimmy'18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 11:26 PM   #147
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy'18 View Post
Hey guys. Been a while since I've posted but mine has steadily been delaminating since 2019. It started in the upper right hand corner and is now at both bottom sides. It's getting really bad now and the car has 6,300 miles on it with "no windows down operation" thanks to reading don't do that on here. That in itself sucks.

I had the tranny shudder and took it to the dealer for the updated fluid as it concerned me more. I had them note the glass problem while there. I'm not necessarily worried about the warranty because of that notation I have in writing. They're an awesome dealer (Cadillac as well) so I think they'll honor it.

Is the new, updated top per the TSB and new part number any better than the original one? Thanks in advance.

Which TSB are you referring to …what’s the date? There are 2020 and I believe 2021 cars that have had failures…unless it’s a very recent TSB, I’d say there’s no change.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #148
Jimmy'18

Quote:
Which TSB are you referring to …what’s the date? There are 2020 and I believe 2021 cars that have had failures…unless it’s a very recent TSB, I’d say there’s no change.

Thanks for the reply. It's just the same TSB everyone knows about. 17-NA-216

Interestingly, it's been updated yet once again since I last looked. I bought a new computer and lost my bookmarks but I remember at least for the black colored top it superseded the original part number. This was back in early Fall '19.

Here's the wording of the updated again TSB:

Released June 30, 2017
April 30, 2018Updated the Date Breakpoint and added Condition #2.
February 04, 2019Added the 2018 Model Year.
November 18, 2019Removed breakpoint dates in Conditions, added the Cascada
Model, updated the Involved Region or Country section and added the Cascada parts

required to the Parts Information.
December 09, 2019Added the 2019 Model Year for Camaro. October 09, 2020Added the 2020-2021 Model Years for Camaro and updated the Involved Region or Country section.
November 10, 2020Added a graphic, Note and Fastener Kit P/N for Buick Cascada to the Parts Information.

The highlight above is not encouraging at all. Can we not make a convertible top? Does this happen to the Blue and Kalahari tops as well? I just seem to remember the Black ones having trouble and the other two didn't have an updated part # at the time.

Stock for now
Old 10-29-2021, 03:29 PM   #149
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy'18 View Post
Thanks for the reply. It's just the same TSB everyone knows about. 17-NA-216

Interestingly, it's been updated yet once again since I last looked. I bought a new computer and lost my bookmarks but I remember at least for the black colored top it superseded the original part number. This was back in early Fall '19.

Here's the wording of the updated again TSB:

Released June 30, 2017
April 30, 2018Updated the Date Breakpoint and added Condition #2.
February 04, 2019Added the 2018 Model Year.
November 18, 2019Removed breakpoint dates in Conditions, added the Cascada
Model, updated the Involved Region or Country section and added the Cascada parts

required to the Parts Information.
December 09, 2019Added the 2019 Model Year for Camaro. October 09, 2020Added the 2020-2021 Model Years for Camaro and updated the Involved Region or Country section.
November 10, 2020Added a graphic, Note and Fastener Kit P/N for Buick Cascada to the Parts Information.

The highlight above is not encouraging at all. Can we not make a convertible top? Does this happen to the Blue and Kalahari tops as well? I just seem to remember the Black ones having trouble and the other two didn't have an updated part # at the time.

Yea, looks like a bad design that they keep installing, then adding to the original TSB making it an “updated” TSB.

Doesn’t matter on color… they’re all designed the same way.

I unloaded my convertible a while back… for a # of reasons… this issue was pretty low on the list, but still “on my list of reasons”
Old 10-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #150
Jimmy'18

Quote:
Yea, looks like a bad design that they keep installing, then adding to the original TSB making it an “updated” TSB.

Doesn’t matter on color… they’re all designed the same way.

I unloaded my convertible a while back… for a # of reasons… this issue was pretty low on the list, but still “on my list of reasons”

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I bought this car as a "keeper" since it's so unusual (never seen another one like it from the factory) and I like it so much.

I just don't understand this glass situation. The fabric is awesome in my opinion, but why they can't figure out how to make this work? I'd rather have the old fashioned clear vinyl so I can drive with the windows down. I don't need a defroster. Maybe I'll do that.

Stock for now
Old 02-08-2022, 05:50 AM   #151
Duff925

Drives: 2017 SS CAMARO CONVERTIBLE
Angry

My 2017 SS convertible rear window is beginning to separate from the cover. Any suggestions. This is the 2nd top that has been installed.
Duff925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:44 PM   #152
GreenClassic

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT Convertib
We have a 2017 Camaro convertible that was purchased brand new in 2018. We had the top replaced at the end of 2018 because of the delamination issue. Yesterday, the passenger side top completely delaminated again. Very frustrating. The car is only 4 months out of warranty, but we are hoping that GM will take care of this because this is the second time, we already opened a case with them. Car only has 16,000 miles and is kept in the garage when at home.
GreenClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 02:46 PM   #153
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
Mine ia starting to delaminate 4 years after the top was replaced for this
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 03:39 PM   #154
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
Mine ia starting to delaminate 4 years after the top was replaced for this
I wonder if there are any contributing factors to this problem besides bad luck, and obviously a design flaw. After years of reading and worrying about this, I still don't have an idea as to what percentage of gen 6 verts have it occur. Is it extreme temperature, top up windows open driving, etc? In any case, it's long sounded like something GM should cover past warranty.
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote