Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-17-2018, 10:10 AM   #1
Navigator

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Differential Noise/Vibration in Cold Weather?

Since the weather has dropped into the 30s or colder, I've been noticing some pretty loud noise/vibration coming from the differential on my SS particularly when making right turns from a stop. This seems to go away after the car warms up. Dealership says this is "normal" but I didn't have this issue last winter. They are going to try to drain and replace the differential fluid but don't think that will make a difference given how the clutch in the differential is designed.

Is this normal?
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
This is a common issue on the 6th gen Camaro. I took my car in for this same problem 2 months ago. The first time they just did a diff oil change but the next day the noise was present. The second time I brought it in they did a figure 8 test to see if the noise was still present. Surely enough it was. The tech that worked on my car took it out for a drive with my permission to get the fluid very hot to empty my diff of fluid and perform a flush. Kept the car overnight and tested it again and the noise was gone! I'll post a picture of my service paper so you can see what the exactly did. I asked my service advisor on what would cause this and he told me its something to do with the clutch packs in the diff not disengaging, becoming stuck with each other. Hopefully, I was helpful about this. I know lots of 6th gen camaro owners have this problem.
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
Azerlazer26

Heres a picture of the service!
Attached Images

Old 12-17-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
Navigator

Thank you. The service tech seemed familiar with the issue but said it was due to how the differential clutches are designed. He's draining it replacing the fluid so we'll see. If not, what you described will be very helpful to show them.

Was yours only an issue in the cold weather?
Old 12-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #5
Navigator

Interesting yours was happening turning left. Mine only happens turning right. I assumed that was due to the tighter turning radius of a right turn, but I guess not.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Kiteboarder85

Drives: 2018 SS - 2015 SS 1LE - 2013 SS
Mine does it for both directions. I believe any small fix will just come back overtime and its 'normal' based on popular diagnostics.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
Azerlazer26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
Thank you. The service tech seemed familiar with the issue but said it was due to how the differential clutches are designed. He's draining it replacing the fluid so we'll see. If not, what you described will be very helpful to show them.

Was yours only an issue in the cold weather?
The temps were starting to drop to mid 40’s low 50’s when my differential would groan. As far as turing left or right. It was significantly more noticible turning left compared to going right
Old 12-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Interesting yours was happening turning left. Mine only happens turning right. I assumed that was due to the tighter turning radius of a right turn, but I guess not.
I'm headed through my third cold season ( well as cold as SC gets anyway) and have almost 20K in miles. Last winter and then again this season I get the "groan" on left turns for about the first 5 minutes. After that - all is good. I guess before I hit the 3 yr warranty mark I need to let the dealership at it for the fluid change - etc.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:47 PM   #9
Navigator

I'm getting mine changed today, and they said they are trying a different fluid type. I'll report back.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:19 PM   #10
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
2018, 2SS, automatic, 3700 miles.

Started noticing mine on both left and right turns only when cold. Once the car warmed up, it went away. I took it to the dealer and of course, they could not replicate the problem. So, I took it to a mechanic who did my exhaust system, and he changed the rear differential fluid for me. Much better and less noise since changing the fluid. He told me that I was getting the noise due to either of the following: the fluid may have been dirty, the friction modifier broke-down over-time (my car sat on the lot for a year), and/or my rear differential did not break-in yet.
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #11
Navigator

Dealership replaced the rear diff fluid. The groaning noise is still there on right turns when the car is cold, but I’d say it’s about 80% less noticeable than before the change. After doing some more research, I’m not sure there’s much more that can be done. This seems like a common issue that doesn’t go away for most owners.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #12
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Dealership replaced the rear diff fluid. The groaning noise is still there on right turns when the car is cold, but I’d say it’s about 80% less noticeable than before the change. After doing some more research, I’m not sure there’s much more that can be done. This seems like a common issue that doesn’t go away for most owners.
The LDS will never be completely silent, especially when cold.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Mine does it for the first turn or two, then goes away.... Its a quirk of the awesome car...

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
My ‘16 SS has had this groan noise since new and it makes the noise on left and right turns when the rear end is cold. This happens in the summer months too but the noise stops when the rear end gets warmed up.