Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-18-2018, 06:15 AM   #15
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I almost always engine brake with the paddles. from speed, I'll usually drop 2 gears at a time, in odd numbers. for example, getting off the freeway, I'll usually tap it into 7th to anticipate getting onto the off ramp, once on off ramp, double tap to 5th. I'll let the engine slow me down to under 2k, then I'll double tap to 3rd. By then I'm usually on the brakes as well, once under 2k I'll tap down to 2nd. I rarely ever tap down to 1st unless I'm in a parking lot and only going ~10 mph or less.

I've literally done this 99% of the time ever since I bought the car. the only times I let the transmission do it's own thing is if the car isn't warmed up all the way yet.

no problems here other than the crazy jerking going into 2nd or 1st from a higher rev than normal, but I never drop my car into 2nd or 1st in a manual either to slow down either, so tit for tat.

also, if you goose the throttle in sport or track mode and the car goes into performance shift mode, while in that mode, it will automatically downshift for you.

Last edited by crosive; 12-18-2018 at 07:46 AM.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:32 AM   #16
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I like to use the Paddles or Shifter for wot blasts from a roll. I like the fact that when you are in manual mode, if you hold the left paddle or hold the shifter back, the Transmission will REV match down shift into the optimal gear. Then after you go wot just slap the shifter back to the right and let the computer shift.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:24 PM   #17
Quester

Drives: 16 2SS Convertable
Have you ever tracked your car? Paddle shift up and down, keeping rpms at best power range to accelerate or decelerate with minimal braking. Chewed up more than one vette, mustang, challengers can’t play because they corner like bricks. Find a race track and go play with your car.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #18
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
I almost always engine brake with the paddles. from speed, I'll usually drop 2 gears at a time, in odd numbers. for example, getting off the freeway, I'll usually tap it into 7th to anticipate getting onto the off ramp, once on off ramp, double tap to 5th. I'll let the engine slow me down to under 2k, then I'll double tap to 3rd. By then I'm usually on the brakes as well, once under 2k I'll tap down to 2nd. I rarely ever tap down to 1st unless I'm in a parking lot and only going ~10 mph or less.

I've literally done this 99% of the time ever since I bought the car. the only times I let the transmission do it's own thing is if the car isn't warmed up all the way yet.

no problems here other than the crazy jerking going into 2nd or 1st from a higher rev than normal, but I never drop my car into 2nd or 1st in a manual either to slow down either, so tit for tat.

also, if you goose the throttle in sport or track mode and the car goes into performance shift mode, while in that mode, it will automatically downshift for you.
This post describes, pretty accurately, the method I use. It's how I believe manual mode is intended to be used.

I do use a combination of brakes and downshifting in my A8 to get great rev match sounds on decel, but am careful not to downshift from any gear until the RPMs are between 2000-1500. And I never downshift below 2nd gear. Technically, the car will deny upshifts and downshifts that are outside of safe parameters (to protect the engine & transmission), but I'm not taking any chances.

This approach mirrors how I used to shift in my first two Camaros, which were 5-speed and 6-speed respectively.

In my opinion, if you drive an A8 and aren't using manual mode when you can, you're missing out on half the fun!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:41 PM   #19
sf70h

Drives: 17' 2SS Camaro A8 Vert NPP
I'm not a big fan of the Active Fuel Management system on the Camaro. I don't like the 1 second delay when getting on the throttle (I presume the 1st time as it then blips the car into a more responsive mode). I also don't like how it does nothing for you in the braking department. It will run 7th gear almost to a stop to save fuel. The car seems to just blast into stops like this.

I run the Automatic in traffic. Otherwise it's 100% in manual mode! Way more fun.

When I am approaching a stop, I downshift to keep the RPMs around 2.5-3.5K through 2nd gear, then I let the car shift into 1st once the car stops. Even more fun, sometimes the light will turn green and you're already in the right gear if you want to have some fun.

This eats fuel. But, it saves your brakes, and I'm not sure how the trans will like me 3, 4, 5 years from now.

I really wish the Auto mode was more responsive, but I just don't like it being dead until you hit it that first time. I always want instant feedback from the throttle when I need it, like a manual.
sf70h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:34 AM   #20
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf70h View Post
When I am approaching a stop, I downshift to keep the RPMs around 2.5-3.5K through 2nd gear, then I let the car shift into 1st once the car stops. Even more fun, sometimes the light will turn green and you're already in the right gear if you want to have some fun.

This eats fuel. But, it saves your brakes, and I'm not sure how the trans will like me 3, 4, 5 years from now.
Pretty much what I do. I like trying to time a green light then hitting downshift twice and flooring it, definitely a thrill. Pops and crackles slowing down is just plain fun too. I usually only downshift to 3rd manually when coming to stops.
Dagstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:39 PM   #21
MidLife RS:)

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th
I like to shift manually just to hear the exhaust (npp sport or track mode)
How many people here have just flat out matted the pedal and let it shift on its own doing a 0-60, or 1/4 mile? Damm can that thing shift fast!! Dont do it often but love the whole rush doing it for sure!!!
MidLife RS:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:26 AM   #22
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sf70h View Post
I'm not a big fan of the Active Fuel Management system on the Camaro. I don't like the 1 second delay when getting on the throttle (I presume the 1st time as it then blips the car into a more responsive mode). I also don't like how it does nothing for you in the braking department. It will run 7th gear almost to a stop to save fuel. The car seems to just blast into stops like this.

I run the Automatic in traffic. Otherwise it's 100% in manual mode! Way more fun.

I really wish the Auto mode was more responsive, but I just don't like it being dead until you hit it that first time. I always want instant feedback from the throttle when I need it, like a manual.
With a tune throttle lag disappears on an automatic along with the AFM.
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #23
Zezima

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
You obviously don’t know how to use them so don’t use them
Zezima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:28 AM   #24
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
I note that in touring, if I have selected the manual mode, and coming to a near stop, the thing will shift to first, and won't upshift unless I kick it up deliberately.
Suppose it makes sense.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #25
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLife RS:) View Post
I like to shift manually just to hear the exhaust (npp sport or track mode)
How many people here have just flat out matted the pedal and let it shift on its own doing a 0-60, or 1/4 mile? Damm can that thing shift fast!! Dont do it often but love the whole rush doing it for sure!!!

Yeah baby! Do this in Track mode with Stabilitrak Competitive Mode enabled (CAREFULLY!). The automatic up-shifts feel lightning fast!

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:03 AM   #26
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Want to slow down fast? Just put it in manual mode and hold the down shift paddle for over a second
Old 02-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #27
dperrone
dp77

Drives: camaro
I feel like everyone here has completely missed out on the question. Im not asking how to slow down USING the transmission.

Im asking if you slow down using the brakes, should you ALSO downshift, or just let it downshift for you? and any advantage/disadvantage?
dperrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #28
dperrone
dp77

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezima View Post
You obviously don’t know how to use them so don’t use them
you obviously dont know how to read. im asking what other people like to do. and advantages and disadvantages
dperrone is offline   Reply With Quote