Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-14-2018, 10:30 PM   #29
rocknss

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary Camaro SS
IMO as long as the Camaro shares the Cadillac platform or any platform the Camaro will live on.
2001 Chevy Camaro SS (sold)
1969 Chevy Suburban (restoration project)
rocknss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:42 PM   #30
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
Cheby would never consider putting a DOHC in a front mounted engine...to damn big and Top Heavy. It would work in the upcoming Vette because it will be a mid mounted config.
Well, the turbo 4 and V6 are DOHC. Either way, that was my point. If Corvette goes TT DOHC V8, there won’t be any engines to put into the 7th gen Camaro.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:11 PM   #31
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Cheby would never consider putting a DOHC in a front mounted engine...to damn big and Top Heavy. It would work in the upcoming Vette because it will be a mid mounted config.
Except they already did just that. Check the books on the Corvette. Engine made by Mercury Marine.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:14 AM   #32
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
IMHO, Cadillac is king at GM. Corvette is a very, very close second. That has been blatantly obvious long before Pontiac and Oldsmobile (with their great histories) were kicked to the curb like a red-headed stepchild.

A final thought; IMHO, Z28 will be back. 1-2 years after the DOHC, monster HP, small displacement/block NA C8's are introduced. It will be light... and it will be fast.
I think you're forgetting the Silverado and Sierra...those are the king at GM by far. Equinox is the new 2nd place. Corvette enjoys a special place at GM because it is the most iconic model and it sells well enough. Escalade, Suburban and Tahoe are co-dependent in terms of survival. So are the Camaro, ATS and CTS.

I agree Camaro is "in trouble" but will survive as long as it's chassis-mates exist. If/when they close out the smaller Cadillac sedans, they will close out the Camaro. My belief is that Ford's move to a Crossover / SUV focus is likely the way that most automakers will move within the next decade.

That's why we enjoy what we have NOW!
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:27 AM   #33
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Got an email ad for Chevrolet, and lo-behold, they were advertising the Camaro and Corvette!!! (among others)

A nickel short, and a day late???
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 06:52 AM   #34
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Don't use Ford's modular engine series as your basis - even though it does fit quite well in the Mustang. Ford painted themselves into a corner with too-small bore spacing, meaning that long strokes are needed to get much displacement. It's the long strokes and rod length to stroke math that push the deck surfaces further away from the crank (and the heads higher up and wider apart as a result of that).

Chevy should stick to however much bore spacing is necessary to support 4" bores @ 5.7L displacement.

Norm
Old 12-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #35
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknss View Post
IMO as long as the Camaro shares the Cadillac platform or any platform the Camaro will live on.
This alone doesn't save the Camaro. The Cruze shares Delta, the XTS, Lacrosse and Impala are LWB versions of Epsilon (Malibu remains for now as does the Regal. Sharing the plant is likely what helps. But what if the CT4 and 5 are hits and fill LGR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Well, the turbo 4 and V6 are DOHC. Either way, that was my point. If Corvette goes TT DOHC V8, there won’t be any engines to put into the 7th gen Camaro.
Although not announced, I still doubt the base C8 is going to be $150,000 hyper car. My guess is 6.2L base engine to start. Plus as long as there are truck V8s, you can have a high performance variant for not much more capital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
I think you're forgetting the Silverado and Sierra...those are the king at GM by far. Equinox is the new 2nd place. Corvette enjoys a special place at GM because it is the most iconic model and it sells well enough. Escalade, Suburban and Tahoe are co-dependent in terms of survival. So are the Camaro, ATS and CTS.

I agree Camaro is "in trouble" but will survive as long as it's chassis-mates exist. If/when they close out the smaller Cadillac sedans, they will close out the Camaro. My belief is that Ford's move to a Crossover / SUV focus is likely the way that most automakers will move within the next decade.

That's why we enjoy what we have NOW!
As I said, having other vehicles on the architecture helps. Camaro is basically paid for tooling at this point so they will likely keep it going for the near term. The concern is really will they invest in an all new Gen7 Camaro?Or invest in an EV/Autonomous program instead. Where they invest in the future is the bigger question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhopt36 View Post
Got an email ad for Chevrolet, and lo-behold, they were advertising the Camaro and Corvette!!! (among others)

A nickel short, and a day late???
Not late at all. As everyone believes advertising will double sales, this alone will guarantee a Gen7. Tongue in cheek of course.

Neither car depends on advertising. Marketing yes, but GM knows TV ads aren't needed to drive sales for Corvette or Camaro.

And if you want people to perceive you as an EV company leading in autonomous (and I believe they are leading) then adverting performance cars goes against that.
Old 12-15-2018, 07:41 AM   #36
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Still wonder if using a Silverado as the pace car/truck at the 500 is a sign.?? Camaro has been used what seven times and the Vette a bunch too? Trucks sell well. Seems like if Camaro was in the future, they would advertise it at the 500. Then GM can make very strange decisions. So we just do not know.
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #37
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Neither car depends on advertising. Marketing yes, but GM knows TV ads aren't needed to drive sales for Corvette or Camaro.
That may well have been the case in years past. Maybe not in this age where SUVs, CUVs, and trucks are the big sellers and those just entering the new car market find their fun in most anything but driving.

Quote:
And if you want people to perceive you as an EV company leading in autonomous (and I believe they are leading) then adverting performance cars goes against that.
IOW, become a Toyota stereotype. Ignore fun-to-drive and performance and maybe those desires will go away.

Norm
Old 12-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #38
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
That may well have been the case in years past. Maybe not in this age where SUVs, CUVs, and trucks are the big sellers and those just entering the new car market find their fun in most anything but driving.

IOW, become a Toyota stereotype. Ignore fun-to-drive and performance and maybe those desires will go away.

Norm
Norm, what does it take to convince you that people with a career in Marketing in the auto industry might actually know more than us that just come here and talk Camaro every day.

If there was a business case for TV commercials then GM would have done it. Everyone is correct, it’s easy to just film the car with some beauty shots and track days. GM has some very experienced and skilled people in this field and an Ad Agency on the outside to boot that know this inside and out.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #39
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Except they already did just that. Check the books on the Corvette. Engine made by Mercury Marine.
i mean...yeah. some of the posts on this site. smh
Attached Images

AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #40
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Norm, what does it take to convince you that people with a career in Marketing in the auto industry might actually know more than us that just come here and talk Camaro every day.
Results. GM’s career marketing people aren’t exactly ringing the bell of success.

Cadillac’s New York venture. Not advertising the Camaro at all. Real people ads. JD Power...

Speaking for myself.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:43 AM   #41
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
So why are Camaro sales so dismal and why is it that marketing doesn't appear to be doing anything about it? Or is letting this small segment atrophy like sedans in general the end game?

Not that Ford is doing much better with their TV advertising, BTW.

Quote:
If there was a business case for TV commercials then GM would have done it.
Unless, of course, the need to be seen as a leader in EV/mobility/technology overrides the value of advertising considered inconsistent with such new direction.

Norm
Old 12-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #42
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Results. GM’s career marketing people aren’t exactly ringing the bell of success.

Cadillac’s New York venture. Not advertising the Camaro at all. Real people ads. JD Power...

Speaking for myself.
That's product.

Understand I know the people you are criticizing and married to the former Corvette Brand Manager.

You may not like the "real people" ads but we have opinions, GM has data.

And JD Power has much less to do with marketing, although marketing quality helps, oh wait that's what the Real People ads do, that is simply product quality and usability.

And the Cadillac move simply didn't do what they had hoped. Not sure how that even comes into the discussion of advertising. That move was not about advertising it was about culture.