Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 12-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #15
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
IMHO, Cadillac is king at GM. Corvette is a very, very close second. That has been blatantly obvious long before Pontiac and Oldsmobile (with their great histories) were kicked to the curb like a red-headed stepchild.

With that said; The enthusiast, engineer, bean counter collaboration at GM that allowed the Alpha platform to be developed and then shared between CTS, ATS and Camaro, and then built in the same facility was sheer genius.

Holy Sh*t! the first time that you jack your Gen6 Camaro off of the ground exhibits the amazing rigidity of the frame. Then you drive it....WOW!

The development of the Alpha platform and further development of Alpha II, with stated plans to continue to share the love with Camaro gives me confidence that our beloved Camaro will live on. There has been no talk of ceasing production (other than shift reduction) Lansing Grand River.

FWIW; my thoughts and prayers to the families affected by GM's and Ford's cutbacks.

A final thought; IMHO, Z28 will be back. 1-2 years after the DOHC, monster HP, small displacement/block NA C8's are introduced. It will be light... and it will be fast.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:47 AM   #16
Kratz74

Drives: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrojedi View Post
I don't think the refreshed Camaro is going to sell overly well in any trim...if it didn't sell well with the original gen 6 refresh its definitely not going to this time around, not a single one looks better then what they replace.....IMO they didn't market these cars properly and they were quite expensive... I was late to the Camaro and I had no idea a Gen 6 was a whole new car, to me it looked the same but a little sleeker then a gen5 ...as an average Joe I had no idea it was a whole new car ..Chevy did not let me know that this new Gen6 was a world class sports car, lighter smaller and completely redesigned over the last gen, better in every way.... Anyways my fingers are crossed they do a Gen7...but if sales of this Gen6 have anything to say about the likelihood of a Gen7 I wouldn't feel too optimistic, I think this refresh is going to tank badly in all trims
Completely agree.
Kratz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:08 AM   #17
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
If they were NASCAR would never had changed to a Camaro. they would have used the Malibu or Impala.
Agreed.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #18
bturner2

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue, Sunroof, NPP, MRC
If they kill off the Camaro does that mean the Traverse will be the new NASCAR model?
bturner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #19
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
If they kill off the Camaro does that mean the Traverse will be the new NASCAR model?
Nope a Truck...y'all are behind the news curve...

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/1...ytona-500.html
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #20
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 455/455 View Post
I still don’t understand why the Z28 has to be forced induction? Why not just make the Z the top Camaro?? Camaro’s didn’t have anything supercharged or turbocharged for 40+years but now Z has to be naturally aspirated? Just make the Z the top of the line Camaro.
The Z28 . . . or, if you prefer, Z/28 . . . has traditionally been about a car with better balance among acceleration, braking, and (particularly) cornering than what big forced induction power implies (big straight-line, everything else strictly secondary). The Gen 1's Trans-Am history gave the Z/28 much more of a bare-bones road-racer flavor, which was echoed in the 5th gen re-do.

The 5th and 6th gen ZL1s have managed to keep a semblance of the above performance balance, but are really better categorized as up-market GT cars.

Norm
Old 12-14-2018, 09:47 AM   #21
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Nope a Truck...y'all are behind the news curve...

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2018/1...ytona-500.html
Using a truck to help fill the stands for a car race . . . sad. Just sad.

On NASCAR's showcase track for their showcase event, they should be having Junior do pace car duties in one of his Dad's old race cars.

Norm
Old 12-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #22
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
If GM want to kill Camaro, they would kill Malibu first just like Ford.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #23
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Firebird View Post
If GM want to kill Camaro, they would kill Malibu first just like Ford.
GM sells around 200k Malibus per year so......yeah.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
The Camaro is being kept alive to run interference for any new models that will be made...….in Mexico!.....

It will go something like this...."Introducing the new Motores Generales __________! We would have built it in the US, but that plant is being used for the Camaro, so we had to put it in Mexico...."

One month later...."Sorry to announce the end of the Camaro....Unfortunately, production of the new __________ has been planned and committed to the Mexico plant and can't be built in the US...."

Sound familiar at all?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #25
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
I don't think GM will kill the Camaro. These halo cars like Camaro and Corvette affect sales and marketing across the whole product line. It's an interesting phenomenon. Put another way, there are potential buyers who might not look at GM if they stop making cars they perceive as "cool" like the Camaro or 'vette, even though they are not actually considering buying a car like that.
This logic does not typically resonate with someone like you, an enthusiast who actually reads a Camaro internet forum. A while back I posted a link somewhere to a psychology paper/thesis on halo cars. Fascinating stuff.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #26
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
No the first time.. last time it was shuffled off to made in Canada camaro.

I'd be more worried ab out crap review current silverados is getting.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #27
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
I don't know about you guys but if they stop building Camaros that means I can stop buying Camaros and just keep the one I've got.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:43 PM   #28
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I don’t see the Camaro being killed off just yet. I’m more curious how GM plans to handle the trims above the SS with the Corvette likely moving to TT DOHC V8s.

Cheby would never consider putting a DOHC in a front mounted engine...to damn big and Top Heavy. It would work in the upcoming Vette because it will be a mid mounted config.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote