Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #1
jazz_whigs

Drives: 2010 gen5 2lt rs, 2016 gen6 2ss
throttle controller may have messed up my AC and loss of keyfob detection

sorry in advance for the long story, i just wanna share exactly what happened so everyone who's considering this product may be aware of these possibilities. first let me say that I really love this product and Vitesse has a great customer service with Ahmed helping me all the way. so i had this installed for more than 2 months now. i had Ahmed of Vitesse over the phone when i installed and calibrated it, i tried all the settings from SP0 to SP9 and it was working as expected. when i made sure everything was working well i decided to keep it on SP0 and it was always at SP0 since as i only use the car for daily driving. few days ago i tried fooling around with it by setting it to SP6 and it worked as expected then set it back to SP0, pulled in a parking lot, turned off and locked the car, did some grocery for about 15 minutes and when i came back to open my car these steps happened:

1. when i pressed my key fob to unlock the car it made these sequential honking sound (coming from the horn) like my alarm has been tampered with which only stopped by pressing the key fob's unlock button again

2. i was able to get in the car because the key fob unlocked it for me as i pressed that unlock button but as i pushed the start engine button in then dash, the car did not start and the DIC was saying "NO REMOTE KEY WAS DETECTED. PLACE KEY IN TRANSMITTER POCKET (showing an illustration to put keyfob in the cup holder). THEN START YOUR VEHICLE".

3. it took a few seconds for me to let the key fob sync with the car before i actually was able to start it after 2 to 3 tries.

4. this time i cant get the AC to work. so i turned off the engine. got off the car, locked it then step number 2 happened again just when i thought the key fob was already synced with the car.

5. AC still was not working but this time i was driving the car. i pulled in to one of the parking lots, when i already driven about 3 miles, stopped the car, turned off the engine, disconnected the Vitesse throttle controller, hooked back stock pedal harness and then at last everything went back to normal.

at this point i called Ahmed at Vitesse and he said it is his first time to hear such incident that the AC and key fob got messed up. obviously he already knows CEL's and Reduced Engine Power issues except for my experience. so he then offered to send me a new unit to replace the one i had and i got it through mail today but this one has a OBD2 harness on top of the standard pedal wires that came with it and the control panel is the one with the rotational knob instead of the small chrome buttons, i guess these rotational ones are the new model. now i have no idea on how to install it because the OBD2 harness does not show in the instruction literature that comes with it. tried calling and emailed Ahmed but it is after hours and he is not picking up. he already said that the OBD2 harness will give a steady voltage power which i think is the main problem why i was having these issue. so i will just have to wait til he gets back to me so he can help give me instructions on how to install it or maybe someone here knows how to do it and help me out. i will give updates on how this will turn out with the new OBD2 harness installed. again sorry for the long narrative i just wanna share exactly what happened so everyone who's considering this product may be aware of these possibilities.

Last edited by jazz_whigs; 03-13-2017 at 03:16 PM.
jazz_whigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
What is he saying? That the battery voltage dropped when the car was off and that messed things up? That could be possible in a partially discharged battery.
Or that the OBD2 harness voltage is better regulated than some other part of the 12v bus?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #3
jazz_whigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
What is he saying? That the battery voltage dropped when the car was off and that messed things up? That could be possible in a partially discharged battery.
Or that the OBD2 harness voltage is better regulated than some other part of the 12v bus?
i have no idea
Old 03-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
Blubyu2

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
I would leave it off, I had one on mine and I was out of town one weekend and i kept getting engine at reduced power car would barely go, I took it off and have never had a issue since.

I think it is better not to mess with the electrical system of the car. Just mash the pedal harder if you want to go faster.
Blubyu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #5
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
This is but one of many TSBs that GM has put out

http://www.telematicstalk.com/wp-con...ownloadPdf.pdf
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #6
jazz_whigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubyu2 View Post
I would leave it off, I had one on mine and I was out of town one weekend and i kept getting engine at reduced power car would barely go, I took it off and have never had a issue since.

I think it is better not to mess with the electrical system of the car. Just mash the pedal harder if you want to go faster.
im thinking of going down this route
Old 03-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
jazz_whigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenB View Post
This is but one of many TSBs that GM has put out

http://www.telematicstalk.com/wp-con...ownloadPdf.pdf
good to know thanks
Old 03-11-2017, 03:12 AM   #8
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
For a counter perspective...

I had the VTC on my 2010 Camaro 2SS for years without incident (not one CEL--ever). I now have it installed on my 2017 50th Anniversary edition 2SS. I installed at least 3 months ago and it has worked flawlessly...no issues, no CELs.

My sense is that the OP's car likely had pre-existing electrical issues that contributed to his experience. We tend to hear about the unique problems some folks have, and it may start to look like the device is risky. I'm sure the vast majority of us who have the VTC installed will never run up against this type of issue.

If that changes for me, I'll find this thread and update...

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:03 AM   #9
jazz_whigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PnCRedJwl2SS View Post
For a counter perspective...

I had the VTC on my 2010 Camaro 2SS for years without incident (not one CEL--ever). I now have it installed on my 2017 50th Anniversary edition 2SS. I installed at least 3 months ago and it has worked flawlessly...no issues, no CELs.

My sense is that the OP's car likely had pre-existing electrical issues that contributed to his experience. We tend to hear about the unique problems some folks have, and it may start to look like the device is risky. I'm sure the vast majority of us who have the VTC installed will never run up against this type of issue.

If that changes for me, I'll find this thread and update...
Duly noted, I hope I don't have a pre existing electrical issue like what you said and that it was just a defective VTC unit that could be replaced.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
PnCRedJwl2SS
Howdy! Pete here...

Drives: 2017 50th Anniv 2SS, A8, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_whigs View Post
Duly noted, I hope I don't have a pre existing electrical issue like what you said and that it was just a defective VTC unit that could be replaced.

I hope so too.. Good luck. Keep us posted on what you learn.

PnCRedJwl2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #11
gdgraph

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Mine works fine, I can't see how plugging something into your throttle pedal harness can mess up your AC or key fob. This definitely sounds like a preexisting issue, my AC didn't work on my car the day I bought it brand new, it was a GM issue. All you have to do is unplug the VTC, leave it at home, and go to the dealer, your car should be under warranty, the VTC does not change or modify anything in the ECU so it's not traceable, you shouldn't have any issues with the warranty.

If you take it to the dealer let us know what they say, I'd be very surprised if the VTC caused all of this.
gdgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #12
jazz_whigs

Got hold of Ahmed and gave me instructions about installing the OBD2 harness with the VTC, I'll post an update on how it will work out
Old 03-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Glad your getting this fixed loke others i doubt it was caused by the VTC. Had one on my 2011 3.6 LLT for years and bought one for my 2017 2.0T before i ever recieved the car and have had no issues.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 05:53 PM   #14
Wolvie70

Drives: 2016 2SS, Summit White, A8, NPP
When isn't it the VTC fault?
Wolvie70 is offline   Reply With Quote