Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-22-2016, 06:32 AM   #1
V8Addict

Drives: 2016 2SS
Electronic Parking Brake: I Hate Mine

I think GM made a huge mistake when they made the electronic parking brake in our Camaros. What was wrong with the traditional one? I have a 2SS with A8 and I hear it groaning whenever I set it on the slightly inclined driveway. The car also seems to move slightly after putting the trans in park, setting the e-brake, turning the car off and then taking my foot off the brake pedal. Seems I'm the only one with this complaint (no other posts) so maybe mine needs to be serviced. Also, does anyone know if the e-brake take up point or clamping strength is adjustable?
Old 10-22-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Do you live in a area with steep inclines? With the A8 in flat as a pancake Florida I never need to use it. I agree with you though, I am not that impressed with the electronic e-brake.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:59 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I've had one on my vette also and I don't mind it at all. It takes up much less room in the console and works fine.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:01 AM   #4
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
I never have any problems with mine and I definetly never hear it. Where would they have placed a manual e brake, it would be in the way.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
WVaSS

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Grey 2SS M6
Agree! HATE electronic parking brakes. Especially on a performance car like the Camaro. I'm sure it was a cost saving measure. Obviously it wasn't a deal breaker for me. But if my car were a daily driver that was going to see winter use it might have been. I can't imagine facing a long, steep, snow covered, downhill road without a proper handbrake. Plus for me it's just an ingrained part of parking a car. Pulling up on that handbrake lever, is just how it is done. Not to mention HANDBRAKE TURNS!
WVaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #6
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Addict View Post
I think GM made a huge mistake when they made the electronic parking brake in our Camaros. What was wrong with the traditional one? I have a 2SS with A8 and I hear it groaning whenever I set it on the slightly inclined driveway. The car also seems to move slightly after putting the trans in park, setting the e-brake, turning the car off and then taking my foot off the brake pedal. Seems I'm the only one with this complaint (no other posts) so maybe mine needs to be serviced. Also, does anyone know if the e-brake take up point or clamping strength is adjustable?
You're setting it wrong. Set e-brake first, let off brake (car may roll an inch before brake catches) then shift into park. That will avoid damage to the parking pawl in the tranny.

Also the sound is the servo from the brake activating. It's normal.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVaSS View Post
Agree! HATE electronic parking brakes. Especially on a performance car like the Camaro. I'm sure it was a cost saving measure. Obviously it wasn't a deal breaker for me. But if my car were a daily driver that was going to see winter use it might have been. I can't imagine facing a long, steep, snow covered, downhill road without a proper handbrake. Plus for me it's just an ingrained part of parking a car. Pulling up on that handbrake lever, is just how it is done. Not to mention HANDBRAKE TURNS!
Actually costs more.

And not sure why you think an old school hand lever makes you feel better about parking your car down hill and really not clear how snow impacts it any more. Do you just pull even harder on your hand brake if there is snow?

The e-park brake simply locks the rear brakes. No cable to stretch or worry about. Just done. I think you guys just need to build your confidence with it.

But you bring up the only real point. If you aren't used to it, it can seem strange. An awful lot of new cars now come with an e-park brake. It enables a better package for the occupant. Also consider many cars had the old foot park brake and it saves that space as well.

There are so few people that actually need a hand brake for turns that OEMs are simply making use of the space in the console.

Also enables e-shift transmissions which the Camaro may get someday.

And that Hill Hold feature? I think that is the e-brake as well.

But no, OP, GM did not make a huge mistake. They just did something you don't like or more specifically, aren't used to yet. I suspect you will in time if this is your first car with the feature.

Last edited by Number 3; 10-22-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #8
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Seems my biggest issue is after I park and go inside I can't remember if I set it or not. Eeeek!. Wish they would put that in our "My Chevy" app. Lock, Unlock, Set Parking Brake, etc etc.
Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #9
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
I always set the parking brake on my Aura. Doesn't matter if I am on flat ground or on an incline. I see it as taking stress off the parking pawl. Due to that, the parking brake assembly( it's a pedal) has broken twice now.

I will welcome the electronic parking brake as it should decrease the chances of it breaking.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #10
MovieGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
What I don't like about it is you can't use it as a backup if your brakes ever go out like you could with the manual style.

Life after retirement
MovieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Lots of hills where I live. Mine works well & I haven't heard any noise. I like the e-brake,
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:56 AM   #12
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Only thing i dont like about it is that if you set it and you are in a remote area where the battery dies and cant get another, or the electronics that operate the e-brake fail, you are ****ed, especially if you need to be towed. Those tires are gonna have to be dragged since there seems to be no manual override.
Old 10-22-2016, 09:08 AM   #13
V8Addict

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
You're setting it wrong. Set e-brake first, let off brake (car may roll an inch before brake catches) then shift into park. That will avoid damage to the parking pawl in the tranny.

Also the sound is the servo from the brake activating. It's normal.
Good info, I will do as you say and set the brake first before putting into park and see if it helps. Thanks
Old 10-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #14
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
Only thing i dont like about it is that if you set it and you are in a remote area where the battery dies and cant get another, or the electronics that operate the e-brake fail, you are ****ed, especially if you need to be towed. Those tires are gonna have to be dragged since there seems to be no manual override.
Have to use a flatbed. Same thing with BMWs and their e-shift trans. With not battery power no ability to put it in neutral. A lot of cars in that situation now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Addict View Post
Good info, I will do as you say and set the brake first before putting into park and see if it helps. Thanks
Np! Someone had to explain it to me many years ago.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote