Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-31-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Seeking Camaro Convertible reviews from owners

After driving many different cars my wife has it narrowed down to a white Challenger Scat Pack or white Camaro SS. After being in the new Camaro convertible it has moved to the #1 I want spot.

For you new Camaro convertible owners what are your pros/cons?

Last edited by Mr Monte; 05-31-2016 at 11:35 PM.
Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:04 AM   #2
G6CamJK

Drives: 16 2SS Convertible, 08 JKU
I'm on my third convertible.

I had a 2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
Still have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler
and just got the 2016 SS Convertible.

Q - How much warmish ( top down ) weather do you get in Oregon? I remember my 2 years in Seattle as being very damp.

Con - There is the generic concern that soft tops are not as secure as a coupe. This can countered with be careful where you park.

Con - This forum seems to me to be rather track and autocross focused. Many tracks won't let a convertible run on them.

Pro - HWY 101 along the coast with the top down

Pro - So many National forests near you with twisty back roads with the top down

Pro - that NPP growl in sport/track mode with the top down.

Pro- Happy wife ... ( you know the rest)

Conclusion - you have one trip on this world. If the extra $$ for a convertible over a coupe doesn't kill your budget go for it.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:20 AM   #3
Mr Monte

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6CamJK View Post
Hwy 101 does make for a scenic road trip. I drive it every day since moving to the coast. I've seen a red 2016 Camaro conv in Seaside a few times.

I've already informed my wife if she gets a faster car than me (2014 SS Sedan) then I'm getting a dual turbo setup

Mr Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 AM   #4
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
I had the 2012 45th Anniversary Edition. Over 4 years, I had 2 frames. 1 fifth bow & 4 fabric tops.

I've had my 2016 for a month now & haven't seen any problems with the top system so far. I think it helps that GM had this top system on the Stingrays already, so the technology was streamlined into near perfection.

PROS:
- LOVE that I can lower/raise the top at 30mph or less, and that I can lower the top with the key fob - couldn't do either with the Gen 5.

-I think the interior is quieter with the top up than the Gen5 was. Virtually no road noise.

- The car tells you when the top raising/lowering motion is complete. I like this much better than "listening for the beep" that we had to do with the Gen5

- LOVE that I don't have to keep checking to see how bad the top is flapping in the wind. that always bothered me with the Gen5; not an issue with the Gen6.

- With the Gen5, you had to reach in to the trunk & pull a divider forward, securing it near the trunk opening in order for the convertible top to work. It created a "Upper & Lower" section for the trunk. With the Gen6, there's a flap you pull up from the floor & snap it into place on the trunk opening rim so the top can be lowered. This creates a "front & back" section of the trunk. It makes the perfect storage area for groceries, my computer bag, and other small loads - it keeps them from rolling around in the trunk area.

CONS:
- In the Gen5, there were separate window switches for the front & rear windows. With the G6, you have to toggle between front & rear, and then use the same buttons to raise/lower. This is minor, but I liked the separate buttons for front & back windows.

But all this is just my .02......
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:05 AM   #5
robbie52

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Have not found any cons on the new convertible. The 2016 Convertible meets requirements for SCCA Track nights, if I get the urge to track it for some fun.
Attached Images

robbie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
ThatRedFirebird

Drives: 2002 Pontiac T/Am, 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by G6CamJK View Post

I had a 2001 Eclipse Spyder GT
Still have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler
and just got the 2016 SS Convertible.

Q - How much warmish ( top down ) weather do you get in Oregon? I remember my 2 years in Seattle as being very damp.

Con - There is the generic concern that soft tops are not as secure as a coupe. This can countered with be careful where you park.

Con - This forum seems to me to be rather track and autocross focused. Many tracks won't let a convertible run on them.

Pro - HWY 101 along the coast with the top down

Pro - So many National forests near you with twisty back roads with the top down

Pro - that NPP growl in sport/track mode with the top down.

Pro- Happy wife ... ( you know the rest)

Conclusion - you have one trip on this world. If the extra $$ for a convertible over a coupe doesn't kill your budget go for it.
RE: Tracks in a Convertible

Uh... the Miata is the most tracked car in the country and it's only available as a convertible? Unless I'm missing something. They usually require a roll bar, but that's not difficult to get your hands on usually.
ThatRedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
SSSHYBOY

Drives: 2SS convertible, black,black
Even if the budget can't handle the vert... go for it anyway. I've had a lot of convertibles in my life... Best ever.. Wife gets more thumbs up than she did in her Jag vert.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #8
2SSMIconv

Drives: 2ss Red hot vert
Awesome car

- Quiet with the top up or down
- Ride is very good
- cool feature on the seats work well
- the NPP sound is one of the best features
- seats are very comfortable
- the V8 is crazy good

Wasn't going to be a trip car due to the lack of storage but after spending time over the holiday riding on day trips, that has changed.

Had a few paint issues and not a fan of the spoiler, but so far it has been
a car you want to drive everywhere.

2SSMIconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #9
Chickenshift

Drives: Nissan titan
Love my 2016 SS A8 vert. It gives the car too very different personalities. You can get the closed in Darth Vader feel and then open the top for something completely different. Also I am happy that I got the automatic. The automatic works great. The wife also loves to drive the car as a result. All my previous sports cars have been sticks. I don't miss a stick 95% of the time.
Chickenshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #10
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
I was at the dealership today, drooling over a Hyper Blue/white rally stripe/ash grey interior 2SS convertible, and I was expecting (and confirmed) that the trunk space is really tiny. On the 5th gens, you at least had some space under the top holder, but in this model you have enough room for a modest sized suitcase (placed sideways). This car would be my DD, and for occasional short trips. But even grocery shopping, most of the bags would end up in the back seat.
What can one expect for how long the soft top would last (assuming garage kept)? I had a BMW 330 convertible that was 6 years old when I got rid of it; the top was still in really decent shape...any thoughts on this one's lifespan?
man, this is a beautiful car.
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #11
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
BUY IT!!!!!!!!!! I've had My Hyper Blue A8 NPP,MRC Vert for 3 weeks now and I can tell Ya that its a GREAT CAR!!! I came from a MB SL-600, A v12 Twin Turbo,2 seat Vert and I really like this better!!! The MB was a VERY PRICEY car when new ( I bought it used) and I don't think it handles any better than the Camaro!!!! So, My vote is Buy the Camaro Vert!!!!!! You WON'T be SORRY!!!!
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
MattDinOC

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Quick Q for owners: Could someone measure the trunk space with the partition in place? I'm wondering if this (25"x15") or this (24"x16") cargo organizer would fit in there...
MattDinOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #13
Algeron

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Convertible, 1998 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
I had the 2012 45th Anniversary Edition. Over 4 years, I had 2 frames. 1 fifth bow & 4 fabric tops.

I've had my 2016 for a month now & haven't seen any problems with the top system so far. I think it helps that GM had this top system on the Stingrays already, so the technology was streamlined into near perfection.

PROS:
- LOVE that I can lower/raise the top at 30mph or less, and that I can lower the top with the key fob - couldn't do either with the Gen 5.

-I think the interior is quieter with the top up than the Gen5 was. Virtually no road noise.

- The car tells you when the top raising/lowering motion is complete. I like this much better than "listening for the beep" that we had to do with the Gen5

- LOVE that I don't have to keep checking to see how bad the top is flapping in the wind. that always bothered me with the Gen5; not an issue with the Gen6.

- With the Gen5, you had to reach in to the trunk & pull a divider forward, securing it near the trunk opening in order for the convertible top to work. It created a "Upper & Lower" section for the trunk. With the Gen6, there's a flap you pull up from the floor & snap it into place on the trunk opening rim so the top can be lowered. This creates a "front & back" section of the trunk. It makes the perfect storage area for groceries, my computer bag, and other small loads - it keeps them from rolling around in the trunk area.

CONS:
- In the Gen5, there were separate window switches for the front & rear windows. With the G6, you have to toggle between front & rear, and then use the same buttons to raise/lower. This is minor, but I liked the separate buttons for front & back windows.

But all this is just my .02......

I had a 2011 2SS vert that was constantly in the shop, and moved to a 2016 2SS vert. I can agree with this comment completely.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #14
MLL67RSSS
Account Suspended

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post

CONS:
Really mostly an issue when raising the windows, when you hit the button to lower the top the windows go down automatically.
MLL67RSSS is offline   Reply With Quote