Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #85
Drm2Reality

Drives: Possibly a 1LE in the near future.
Well if you want to count my two cents...auto is no fun on a road course.

The clutch was a bit of a problem...hopefully it is better along with everything else.
Drm2Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:05 PM   #86
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
My 2012 1SS is a 6M. I have taken it to the track several times and ran some autocrosses with it. They were a lot of fun and if that was all I did it would be a no brainer to get another manual. But I also like to go to the drag strip and run brackets. Although I have won with the manual, its a real bummer at the strip. The whole drive train seems to not handle the stress well and its very difficult to cut good reaction times with consistently. Winning elimination rounds is fun and this is my fun car, so I am leaning toward the automatic. Can the automatic be fun at the track and autocross or does it just kill the whole experience?
You're in a bit of a pickle. You definitely want an auto for bracket racing. And if you enjoy road racing as much as it sounds, you'll definitely have more fun with a manual. Especially with the active rev match on the Gen 6.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:18 PM   #87
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
You're in a bit of a pickle. You definitely want an auto for bracket racing. And if you enjoy road racing as much as it sounds, you'll definitely have more fun with a manual. Especially with the active rev match on the Gen 6.

Oh yes, I forgot the rev match. Damn that makes it an even harder decision.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:36 PM   #88
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Found this Car and Driver review of the automatic in the Corvette Z51. It doesn't sound to bad on the road course.

"On a road course, taking hot laps in an automatic that performs ignition-spark-cutting upshifts and positive-torque downshifts (engineer jargon for blipping the throttle to match revs) quicker than humanly possible allows the driver to concentrate on the steering and braking, potentially turning quicker laps in the process. Plus, from our seat-of-the-pants perspective, the GM 8L90 shifts as quickly as any dual-clutch unit available. Corvette engineers benchmarked the ZF’s dual-clutch automatic that goes into the Porsche 911 and claim the new GM ’box actually shifts quicker in some cases.

Goin’ With the Flow
Several laps of GM’s Milford Road Course revealed that the transmission programing in good-old “D” with the car’s Performance Traction Management switched on is pretty good for track duty. It’ll hold gears up to redline, downshift by itself just as one might do while tapping the steering-wheel paddles, and automatically upshift when it should. A two-three midcorner upshift doesn’t upset the chassis as it might with a manual transmission because the torque flow at gearchanges is smoother. We’re not saying the automatic is more fun to drive than the seven-speed manual, but don’t be surprised if the next Corvette we put on a racetrack has an automatic."
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242

Last edited by Cuda7050; 12-15-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:56 PM   #89
Drm2Reality

That sounds good but was a magazine test...so I don't put too much in anything magazine related.

I know I talked to the dealer when I ordered a 1LE and Chevy bought back 2 z51's that were autos because of tranny issues. I don't follow corvettes much so I don't know if there is a major problem. Not that this really pertains. Just another reason to buy a manual lol.

Just for laughs...my awesome dealer experience. Ordered my white 1le with recaros and npp. They never called me to let me know it arrived. The 20% deal came out...so I called wondering where my car was. And they sold it when it arrived the week prior. I said f the dealer and 5th gen at that point lol. Still wish I had that car to hold me over though. Oh well.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #90
txferrari

Drives: 2016 Z06/7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
I wasn't trying to incite a riot by posting this thread and for the most part it's stayed very civil. I was simply offering my thoughts after I drove the auto since I was considering switching to one after owning 2 manual Camaros in the past. I think it's a good idea for someone considering it to drive both before making the decision. I thought I wouldn't have a problem making the switch and it turns out I do for that specific car. I'm just glad I found this out before ordering one sight unseen. If you bought an auto and are happy with it, more power to you. I'm happy for you. Buy what makes you the happiest.
Haha, I don't have a problem with ya, nor anyone on here. I just find it funny that's all. If you take it at face value, arguing over this crap is honestly quite childish. As mentioned before, it's like arguing over fake or real tits. Who cares. I'm personally an Auto guy. Why? I live in the crap hole that is Houston. I don't track either so. But, I don't care either if someone wants to roll gears. Actually, I'm jealous of those who can. As mentioned in some thread a few months ago. Just a quick story.

When I had my Zl1, I took it up to Owen to do some basic mods and tune. He had at the time I think close to 800 hp Zl1. He said, want to go for a ride? I said, sure, just don't fkn kill me. He turned all nannies off. There is prob a good mile long strip of road in front of his shop. He rowed those gears to at least 100 I'd say. Kept it sideways the whole time, then drifted a nice corner. The, turned around and did it again going back to his shop. I thought for sure I was dead that day.

Anyhow, got back, I'm just shaking my head. Him and the guys up at the shop are just laughing. Honestly, those were skills. Mad skills that I don't have.

I guess it's kind of those deals to where, look, if people prefer Auto's, there is no need to say....well, only fkn real men drive sticks.(Not saying you said it, just saying it seems to be mentioned if auto guys say otherwise against manuals). No, guys like me who are real men who run companies and provide for other peoples families (That statement in no way makes me a better man than anyone on here, it was for reference only) just prefer to appreciate the technology in the Autos. I now have a 15 GTR and I'm not sure anyone can drive a stick faster than the current transmission that is in the car. But, anyhow, it's all good my friend.

I say, buy what you like and enjoy it. Life only goes around once.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:53 PM   #91
Drm2Reality

I don't remember anyone saying "real men drive sticks" by anyone nor anything remotely close to that statement. And the fake or real thing is anything but childish. I genuinely care if they are fake or real. I only like real.

And nobody is arguing! Only sharing their own experience and/or opinions! Why people have a problem with that is insane!

What scares me the most are how people who flip out on a message board get thru life??

Who cares! It's a message board. Either share or don't. It's that simple.

If a post interests you click on it...otherwise don't.

Last edited by Drm2Reality; 12-14-2015 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:11 PM   #92
SGT Stretch

Drives: 2016 Hyper Metallic Blue SS
my current SS is an M6 and while I love being able to row gears, and have in every car I've owned but 1...I ordered the auto. I've really taken to drag racing so that helps in the decision, but I find myself taking the wifes car to make quick runs a lot since it is an auto. I guess if I ran it at a road course a lot I would stay with the stick, but the fun of a stick just isn't as much fun anymore. That and not being consistent, or getting locked out of the 1-2 on the drag strip really gets annoying haha.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:30 PM   #93
Drm2Reality

Great...I think that is what an auto does well.

I took my auto for anything and everything...usps trip or diapers....whatever was needed
Old 12-14-2015, 11:00 PM   #94
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
My tracking aspirations go as far as the drag strip since there are no serious road courses close by and I probably couldn't afford to do that very often anyhow. I had an L99 2010 5th gen that I did moderate bolt-ons and tune. When I had gone as far as I thought I could go with that car, I traded it for a 2012 6M. What a mistake that was. It could never have run the ETs the auto did and they both had the same mods (mostly the same parts).

I love driving my 6M Grand Sport and don't think I would want another automatic Vette, but the 6th Gen Camaro automatic appears to be the drag race winner between the stick and auto Camaros. I will most likely invest in a 1SS automatic after a year or so. I do envy you all who have received their new cars and wish you great enjoyment with them whether they're stick or auto.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 AM   #95
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
My tracking aspirations go as far as the drag strip since there are no serious road courses close by and I probably couldn't afford to do that very often anyhow. I had an L99 2010 5th gen that I did moderate bolt-ons and tune. When I had gone as far as I thought I could go with that car, I traded it for a 2012 6M. What a mistake that was. It could never have run the ETs the auto did and they both had the same mods (mostly the same parts).

I love driving my 6M Grand Sport and don't think I would want another automatic Vette, but the 6th Gen Camaro automatic appears to be the drag race winner between the stick and auto Camaros. I will most likely invest in a 1SS automatic after a year or so. I do envy you all who have received their new cars and wish you great enjoyment with them whether they're stick or auto.

Oh, and Merry Christmas!
Ummm...you know about the NCM road course in Bowling Green, right? And they do autocross events on their pad for fairly cheap.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #96
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Rare to have a consistent drag car with a stick, not so rare to have a fast automatic that makes run after run within in a tenth. I've run both, my 6 speed vet ran very inconsistent passes low 12's to high 11's and broke a lot of shit on the way. My supercharged g8 ran 11.80's on almost every pass within just a few huns, 60 ft times are better in most cases. My 68 nova with power glide ran 9.70's run after run, sticks just usually won't do that. Road courses are different and I'm sure better with a stick. We can have both, nice to have options.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:41 PM   #97
pdoherty972

Drives: 2013 370Z sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
Oh yes, I forgot the rev match. Damn that makes it an even harder decision.
Why does that make it harder? Rev match is on both the manual and the auto isn't it? Or do you just mean rev match on manual = more fun?
pdoherty972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #98
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Finally able to drive an SS the other day. Had to drive the auto, as the manuals were sold and couldn't be driven. The auto is nice, better then my current auto with normal driving (tuned 6R80 in a 5.0 Mustang), but it really needs a good aftermarket tune. When I romped on it a bunch of times it didn't respond as well as my Mustangs tranny with the tune. It did seem to hunt for high gears a few times, but most autos do that. Biggest disappoint is manual mode. The delay from when you pull a paddle, to when it shifts is like a good second. Makes manual mode useless IMO. They are getting in a manual for stock in about 7-10 days, and I will go back and drive that then make my choice on transmission. I had a manual 5.0 Mustang before my current auto one, so I really think I am going back to rowing gears. I drag race and do autocross, so both transmissions have advantages/disadvantages to me. The auto just gets boring at times...will see.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote