Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-12-2024, 11:35 AM   #1
mrwonderful

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Oil Change

I have an oil change and notification question, and I'd like to hear some opinions. Looking the recommended oil change interval with the synthetic, ranging from 3K-5k miles. I put a bit over 1K on my car annually, and do an oil change once a year. I'm trying to figure out why my oil life reads like it's accumulating mileage within the preset oil life recommendation. Do these life meters use a "clock life" as well? I have barely 11K miles on my car.
mrwonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 11:47 AM   #2
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful View Post
I have an oil change and notification question, and I'd like to hear some opinions. Looking the recommended oil change interval with the synthetic, ranging from 3K-5k miles. I put a bit over 1K on my car annually, and do an oil change once a year. I'm trying to figure out why my oil life reads like it's accumulating mileage within the preset oil life recommendation. Do these life meters use a "clock life" as well? I have barely 11K miles on my car.

It takes time into consideration and the oil life percentage will decrease even if you never drove the car. I changed my oil in October of last year before it went into storage. I reset the OLM at that time. Just took the car out of storage a week ago and the OLM was down to 58% or something and it hadn't not moved an inch since I reset it.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:12 PM   #3
mrwonderful

It kinda pisses me off; looking at all that "fresh" oil draining out every May. LOL
Old 04-12-2024, 12:44 PM   #4
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
It kinda pisses me off; looking at all that "fresh" oil draining out every May. LOL

Eh, in the grand scheme of things oil is cheap insurance (cheap being relative). Like you, I probably won't put more than 1k miles per year and it gets put in storage for 4-5 months out of the years. Does it *need* to be changed with limited miles on it? Maybe not, especially being synthetic. But I enjoy doing routine maintenance and it is peace of mind to have clean, fresh oil at the start of each season.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 02:02 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out why my oil life reads like it's accumulating mileage within the preset oil life recommendation. Do these life meters use a "clock life" as well? I have barely 11K miles on my car.
Yes. The GM OLM % will go to zero in 1 year, regardless of whether or how you drive the car. So while under warranty, once/year is your minimum requirement.

Regardless of warranty concerns, send a sample to blackstone-labs when you do a change and ask them your question. Pay the extra $10 for the TBN go know whether your oil was turning to sludge. They can tell you whether your current change interval and driving style & conditions are safe to extend the change interval.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 02:58 PM   #6
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
If you winter store your car, the best practice is to oil change before storage and just reset the monitor when you take it out in the spring. It’s always best to put it to bed with fresh oil.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 03:16 PM   #7
mrwonderful

I think I'll try the oil test when I get higher in miles, just to inquire about what's going on. I don't mind the once a year change, it was just a little odd to me how quickly the oil lift diminished. My driving habits would make you think I'm a retiree. Probably should have mentioned I have a 2016, and don't drive it much at all, unfortunately. Small town driving.
Old 04-12-2024, 03:42 PM   #8
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I think I'll try the oil test when I get higher in miles, just to inquire about what's going on. I don't mind the once a year change, it was just a little odd to me how quickly the oil lift diminished. My driving habits would make you think I'm a retiree. Probably should have mentioned I have a 2016, and don't drive it much at all, unfortunately. Small town driving.
Then in your case, 3 to 5k is good practice. I do it annually because my car will sit up to six months a year in winter storage. And I like to store it with fresh oil.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 02:58 PM   #9
OBD3

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS trim
Mine when i pulled the cover off and prepped for spring driving, the olm had dropped to 32 % and it did not move an inch for almost 6 months. What was more humerous was the dealer in a panic calling me to schedule an oil service and tire rotation. The reaction on the phone was priceless when i told the service coordinator that the vehicle has not moved at all and oh by the way, i would be doing my own oil changes, UPF 64 and Dexos 1 Gen 3 oil for me. I was glad to get the breakin oil out as i agree oil is cheap insurance. The vehicle only has 1100km, which onstar must not have communicated to them.
OBD3 is offline   Reply With Quote