Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
amboy49

Drives: Beginning a search to buy
How to get a mirror shine ?

I am continuously amazed at many of the photos showing cars with a mirror shine. I’ve only used liquid or paste wax hand applied and removed with a cloth. I read of using a clay, of buffing, and other methods of obtaining a deep lustre.

Hoping to hear opinions on best method(s) of maintaining the exterior of my 2011 Synergy. The car is washed with regularity and stored in my garage with a car cover. I’m reluctant to try my hand at using a buffer in fear that I would accidentally burn the paint.

Thanks in advance.
amboy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Here's the annual schedule/system I use (everything is done by hand, no buffer):

Jan - Wash, clay bar and paste wax

Jun - Wash and paste wax

Every other week, after a road trip or when needed sooner - wash followed by a detailing.

Have used this method for years and have been able to maintain mirror-like finishes on all my vehicles. Also, have used a variety of brands over the years as well, to include Zaino, Griiots, Adams, etc. etc.. For the past 2 years I've been using the Meguiars ultimate line of products with great results (plus I can everything I need from my local AutoZone).
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #3
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
Adams, Mother’s, Meguiar’s all have detailing kits with pads and products. The buffers are low speed and you don’t apply much pressure. Just keep moving it around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:15 PM   #4
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Here's the annual schedule/system I use (everything is done by hand, no buffer):

Jan - Wash, clay bar and paste wax

Jun - Wash and paste wax

Every other week, after a road trip or when needed sooner - wash followed by a detailing.

Have used this method for years and have been able to maintain mirror-like finishes on all my vehicles. Also, have used a variety of brands over the years as well, to include Zaino, Griiots, Adams, etc. etc.. For the past 2 years I've been using the Meguiars ultimate line of products with great results (plus I can everything I need from my local AutoZone).
Wow your car is so shiny and beautiful it almost looks like a Corvette
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:32 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Try this forum for info and ideas.

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forum...aysprune=&f=45
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:28 AM   #6
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
Junkman videos on YouTube
Old 09-19-2018, 06:50 AM   #7
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Have you looked into ceramic coating?
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:50 AM   #8
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Polishing is really where you get the mirror shine from.

Wash, clay, polish, seal and wax. I use Adams btw
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2018, 06:58 AM   #9
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Give your car a good cleaning.. clay bar it and then a coat of quality wax.To get the next level shine get a bottle of Adams Ceramic Boost. Its the finish product they use to bring the ceramic coating to a shine. I've used it on all my vehicles. Believe me its the best kept secret in paint detail. Just don't tell anybody.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:04 AM   #10
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
I agree with the above post. Wash, clay bar, polish, seal, and wax. I also use a glaze which makes dark colors really pop. You should check out the Adams detailing videos. They explain in detail the correct steps and the proper way to use their products. (The Junkman YouTube videos are great too.) Don't be afraid of using a orbital polisher.....this will give you the best results.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #11
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I too have been wondering as well. Having had all different colors of cars over the years, this one has been by far the hardest one to find a wax/polish that I like. I’ve tried all mentioned above, but have not like how they are applied or removed. I purchased griiots “best of show” paste wax and am VERY impressed with how easy it goes on, is removed, and the quality of the shine on the finished product. I also use meguires quick detail for a quick touch up, or turtle wax “little black box” detailer. It is formulated for black cars and is a black liquid spray.

Another tip is to get a good quality microfiber buffing rag to remove the product.
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #12
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Essentially, you'll need to clay, then polish with one or a couple of polishes, which may include a swirl mark removal type polish and a paint cleaning polish. Clean the car of the polish residue, and then add the wax or sealant of your choice.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Frankly I daily drive most of the year its in the rain, I don't have time to obsess over any imperfections, the tiny circular water spots are all I can see for imperfections with a shiny surface that gets complements no matter what...I use good old Nufinish a polymer and have used many products, but being able to just hit it with wax after about six months with mild wax job and not have to buff or struggle and have it bead water for over six months that's pretty good for a car that's in the weather constantly. BTW Nuvinyl ...just like Armor all...garbage works but I prefer Black magic it lasts longer and darkens better so it must protect better.

Just a shout out from a realist not a California guy with a garage; I live in the rain lots. and clay bar...great way to spend money and drag crap around scratching things buying more clay bar and then repairing the scratches by obsessing with a buffer and coat after coat of wax. People used to swear by Zaino, if obsessive I would go there. I do occasionally like to hit the windows with some rust and stain remover from Wink in the cleaner isle of a department/grocery store, it removes water stains on the glass. There are actually clear coats now that repel dirt only a couple grand.... I am happy I have my stripes as they are wax able.....American car craft, a great place to obsess for anything but especially under the hood SEMA dreamer...….

Old 09-19-2018, 06:40 PM   #14
warnerwh

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Get an orbital buffer and some Meguir's Ultimate Compound. There are no abrasives and Ultimate Compound is very mild so even if you're a beginner you will be safe. Ultimate compound will remove fine hairline scratches too. The clear coat on your Camaro's is very hard btw. This beats the heck out of a clay bar which is a ton of work and is much faster. After the paint/clear coat is exposed without oxidation you want to at least wax it or you can use a polish or glaze.

I personally use a wax called Collinite No.845. This wax is legendary on the internet because the shine is deep, excellent, easy to put on and remove and it will not stain black trim. This wax has a wet look to it. And the best part it lasts much longer than most any other wax I have used including Meguir's Ultimate wax which is a synthetic. Collinite No. 845 is easy to wipe off. Check out the reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Collinite-Liq...=collinite+845

The clay bar or using an orbital buffer with an orange pad and Meguir's Ultimate compound is very important because the base has to be perfect before you put polish or wax on. Once the wax is on you can buff it for the maximum shine. If the paint is exposed it will start oxidizing quickly depending on where you live. Polish or glaze then a wax have worked best for me. It's a lot of work but if you keep it waxed you will save yourself much work. You will now get compliments all the time by everybody!
warnerwh is offline   Reply With Quote