Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 02-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #57
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
The Controller has the SP0 ( Stock mode ) It's a bypass for the Controller's circuit that will prevent any alteration to the original signal.

We always suggest to go back to SP0 if you experience a CEL.
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:31 AM   #58
Atra

Drives: 16' 1SS M6
I have one and have had no issues thus far. My criticisms would be anything above sp4 are useless for daily driving on the street and do not feel like a nice curve but a series of "lurches". SP4 seems fairly smooth and what I consider the car needed to feel like from the factory. My two cents.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:46 PM   #59
bhavyas

Drives: 2016 1SS Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
"There is a principle which is a bar against all knowledge, proof against all argument, and promises to hold a man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is contempt prior to investigation." --Herbert Spencer

I agree, and would hate to see this thread go down that path. Throttle controllers have been around for as long as throttle bodies have been electronically controlled. I was actually reassured when I got the reduced power code. It demonstrated to me that the car's safety protocol worked. Before I ordered this thing, I was concerned about it failing and the throttle being stuck open. Then I read some more, learned about the safety measures built into the car and the controller, and felt reasonably certain that I was safe. I was also a big skeptic, yet the throttle delay annoyed me just enough, and the cost was just light enough, that I thought a little "investigation" wouldn't hurt. I for one am glad I got it.

I also understand where others are coming from, and respect their opinion. Like I said, I feel reasonably safe. I haven't heard of a throttle controller causing runaway cars as of yet. Of course, just because I haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I think some people don't really understand what a controller does and why people want one.(and of course if I am incorrect, I'd like to know) The factory mapping of the throttle is designed to satisfy CAFE, EPA, and NTSB. There is a delay built into the system. When you press the pedal to say 25%, you are getting 12-15% blade opening and progresses to 25%. The throttle controller is voltage multiplier that increases the input by a given percentage to increase the amount and reduce the time the blade opens. This in turn triggers the tps to send a signal to the ecu for more fuel and timing. The end result is a more linear throttle response. And that is it's sole purpose in life, a more linear response. For a guy like me that was accustomed the old throttle cable days, this is what I get from it. It will not add power, you won't go any faster, and won't reduce 1/4 times or anything like that. It simply removes the lag in partial throttle situations.
Question here.. because I fail to understand your point abt 0-60 times.. because it seems to me that the 0-60 or 1/4th mile should be affected.. heres why i think so:

using ur example, when I press the gas pedal to say 25%, in stock mode the blade opens to say 15% and then progresses to 25% at which time more fuel is inserted since there is more air coming into the engine.. now when I put in the tc, with the same amount of pressure (25%), there will be a multiplication factor to the signal that is sent to the ecm. Lets for the sake of simplicity assume that it opens the blade to 25% immediately. You see now the time that was lost in progressing from 15%-25%, even if it is small is eliminated. The response is no doubt linear, but you are also putting down more power earlier than in stock mode and hence I think it should affect ur 0-60 or 1/4mile timings.

I may be wrong in my understanding, but this is what makes sense to me.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:29 AM   #60
noelmndz

Drives: Black 2016 Camaro SS
This happened to me just a few hours ago!! Also have the Vitesse Throttle controller. Taking it to the dealer first thing tomorrow.
noelmndz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 10:06 PM   #61
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
My two cents

I actually got reduced power, yesterday for the first time. I have not added a VTB.

I just came to rest at the side of the road and thought oh shit. WTF
The engine stalled, I restarted the engine and it came back to normal. The only thing I could think of is that I did have a good back fire before the reduced power. Then It made me think more, I had purchased gas just before and added 30 bucks into 1/4 of a tank I always put in supreme, by accident I put the Lower octane gas.

So you can see, it can be many things that cause reduced power and I am not 100% sure it was just the gas. But I think it was.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #62
BowtieRocket

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS- M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by horizon670 View Post
Thank you for letting us know about this issue.

First, let me explain in more details about the Safety options we have:

All GM cars with the "Drive by Wire" system have a safety feature that will make the ECU default to the safety mode, in our case for the Gen5 and Gen6, it's what we call "Reduced Engine Power" mode. This can be triggered by hundreds of sensors that are supposed to communicate with each other and receive exact voltages to function properly. We've seen TPS ( Throttle position sensors ) going bad, APS ( Accelerator position sensors ) that needed replacement... I'm not saying this is your case.

The P2138 error is obviously the Controller sending a high voltage signal ( Above the 5% threshold limit accepted by the ECU ), anything slightly above and the ECU will signal that.

This can happen if you did not calibrate the controller properly, a loose harness or a loose single wire...

I also want to assure some of you that questioned this before, "What if the Controller breaks down or anything ? "
The Controller will also default back to SP0 ( Stock mode ) if anything is not right within.

If you ever get the Reduced Engine power while driving, the easiest way to fix it is to switch the mode back to SP0, park in a safe place, switch off the engine and back on.

The Check engine light may not go away until the ECU checks everything after 5 restarts.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to call us, we're here anytime of the day to assist you with your installs or issues.
Just got the dreaded reduced power issue on the way home from work. Did the above recommendation and restarted the car 5 times and it cleared it for now. Hopfully it doesn't come back...
Old 04-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #63
v111pilot

Drives: '16 2SS
Just had the same issue- Reduced Power Mode, on my STOCK 2016 2SS.

Check engine code showing Throttle Position Sensor issue.

Going into the dealer tonight.

Can anyone who has ALREADY been to their dealer on this post what your fix was??

Thanks!
v111pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #64
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
I wonder if it might be caused by this since I remember someone mentioned the car got into the limp mode ..etc:

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490819
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #65
L98 Z28

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6spd Convertible NFG
It's discouraging to hear Camaros are having this problem. My '07 Silverado has done this many times with the same P2138 code. Worries me when I'm crossing a busy intersection since I don't know if the truck will suddenly go into reduced power mode and while I'm trying to get past traffic. I had to replaced the entire throttle body once, but the problem is so common that the TPS sensor clipped onto the throttle body is now available as a replacement part. Don't know if the TPS design is related at all to the '07 truck, but apparently it has the same problems.

I've order a '17 ZL1, and won't be happy if I start getting P2138s in it. Can't believe the problem hasn't been fixed in a decade!
L98 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #66
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by L98 Z28 View Post
It's discouraging to hear Camaros are having this problem. My '07 Silverado has done this many times with the same P2138 code. Worries me when I'm crossing a busy intersection since I don't know if the truck will suddenly go into reduced power mode and while I'm trying to get past traffic. I had to replaced the entire throttle body once, but the problem is so common that the TPS sensor clipped onto the throttle body is now available as a replacement part. Don't know if the TPS design is related at all to the '07 truck, but apparently it has the same problems.

I've order a '17 ZL1, and won't be happy if I start getting P2138s in it. Can't believe the problem hasn't been fixed in a decade!
You won't. The topic in this thread is dealing with the addition of an aftermarket throttle controller. While there were some harness connector issues in some of the earlier drive by wire systems, it appears those have long since been corrected. Come to think of it, it seems that with the additional driving modes which unlike my 5th Gen, which only effects traction control, the new systems increase throttle response, adjust shift points in autos, and all kinds of cool stuff.

Reduced power mode simply restricts the engine rpm. It does not effect power steering, brakes, abs. When it happens, as long as you keep your cool, you will be able to get off the road pretty safely.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:04 PM   #67
Sunsnare98

Drives: 2017 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavyas View Post
Question here.. because I fail to understand your point abt 0-60 times.. because it seems to me that the 0-60 or 1/4th mile should be affected.. heres why i think so:

using ur example, when I press the gas pedal to say 25%, in stock mode the blade opens to say 15% and then progresses to 25% at which time more fuel is inserted since there is more air coming into the engine.. now when I put in the tc, with the same amount of pressure (25%), there will be a multiplication factor to the signal that is sent to the ecm. Lets for the sake of simplicity assume that it opens the blade to 25% immediately. You see now the time that was lost in progressing from 15%-25%, even if it is small is eliminated. The response is no doubt linear, but you are also putting down more power earlier than in stock mode and hence I think it should affect ur 0-60 or 1/4mile timings.

I may be wrong in my understanding, but this is what makes sense to me.
It can't reduce times. WOT is WOT. Save the cash and put your foot down more. It's the same thing.
Sunsnare98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:22 PM   #68
L98 Z28

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6spd Convertible NFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
You won't. The topic in this thread is dealing with the addition of an aftermarket throttle controller.
MrChrisLS3, I saw some were saying they had a throttle controller, but others have said they are stock. v111pilot's post just above (and quoted below) says his stock SS has the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v111pilot View Post
Just had the same issue- Reduced Power Mode, on my STOCK 2016 2SS.

Check engine code showing Throttle Position Sensor issue.

Going into the dealer tonight.

Can anyone who has ALREADY been to their dealer on this post what your fix was??

Thanks!

v111pilot, has the dealer looked at it yet? Did they replace the TPS, the entire throttle body, find some other issue?
L98 Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #69
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by L98 Z28 View Post

Yes, this problem still exists, it is unrelated to having an aftermarket device installed or not.

We've had many people asking if our Controller will fix their issue they already have with the Throttle position sensor error code P2138. The answer is no, it will not fix it, it may actually trigger it sooner because of the voltage modification from the gas pedal.

This is not caused by our Throttle Controller.

The best solution is to replace the TPS ( Throttle position sensor ).
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #70
v111pilot

Drives: '16 2SS
Had the 2SS to the dealer, they say it is the gas pedal and that the part is a "high demand" item and is on back order. It seems like the previous posters were correct in surmising that the problem is when the two signals sent from the pedal differ more than a certain threshold, the car goes into limp mode.
This problem happens when I slam the accelerator to full throttle, and then lift off it completely around 50 MPH or so. Hopefully the part fixes it when it gets in...
v111pilot is offline   Reply With Quote