Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-12-2016, 01:40 AM   #15
Patrick864 RS

Drives: 2011 CGM IPF Supercharged LLT
Well the prices are all about in the same ballpark. Thank you to everybody above for the input. It's so sad that these LLTs are this problematic. But I guess every make has their rotten apples. Still, I haven't quite decided what I'm going to do. Like stated above I would personally go with selling the SC kit and getting the new engine and selling the car when it's fixed. But again, like stated above I'm not the only one paying for the car so even though it is mine I have to get everybody on board. If I can possibly get a 16 SS at a reasonable price that's the route I would go. Time will tell. Going to make a decision tomorrow and go from there. Definitely getting a new engine...just don't know about the supercharger and future for the car after its repaired.
Old 07-21-2016, 12:36 AM   #16
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
The motor will give out again so why dump 6k into a car thats going to need a 2200 timing chain replacement plus the fact that it may or will blow again

Im loving my 16 5.0 and I miss my Camaro which I still have stored but damn I couldnt be any angrier with GM
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:50 PM   #17
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
The motor will give out again so why dump 6k into a car thats going to need a 2200 timing chain replacement plus the fact that it may or will blow again

Im loving my 16 5.0 and I miss my Camaro which I still have stored but damn I couldnt be any angrier with GM
I was so on the fence about selling/keeping for this very reason. Was about to decide on sell when I get a check engine light
If its for timing chain I'm gonna lose it....
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:26 AM   #18
TJ91

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
I was so on the fence about selling/keeping for this very reason. Was about to decide on sell when I get a check engine light
If its for timing chain I'm gonna lose it....
Man its such an expensve repair
Try and do it yourself to save money
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 07-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #19
nikos30
HT5 EastSide

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
dude for this exact scenario, I am terrified about the future of my car. Ive been wanting to upgrade but im too dam cheap! So what happens if it is dead? does insurance give you money? is it qualified as "totaled?" Ive always been wondering this...
Old 07-22-2016, 09:40 AM   #20
djrasras

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos30 View Post
dude for this exact scenario, I am terrified about the future of my car. Ive been wanting to upgrade but im too dam cheap! So what happens if it is dead? does insurance give you money? is it qualified as "totaled?" Ive always been wondering this...
If its dead your best bet is to just sell it as a non-running car since insurance isn't gonna help you out unless you either get lucky and get t-boned on the way to the shop, or commit some kind of insurance fraud and purposefully total it. That's why its sometimes worth just eating the engine replacement costs and selling it immediately after, which is what I would like to do after I put on some new tires and figure out what code I'm throwing
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
Old 07-22-2016, 03:26 PM   #21
tlavoie87
Built Not Bought

Drives: 2010 Twin Turbo LFX
dj how many miles where on the motor?

"Built Not Bought!'

Sponsors:
OverKill Motorsports
tlavoie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:27 PM   #22
tlavoie87
Built Not Bought

Drives: 2010 Twin Turbo LFX
never mind read the op

"Built Not Bought!'

Sponsors:
OverKill Motorsports
tlavoie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:30 PM   #23
djrasras

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
never mind read the op

ya I'm pretty sure it was around 50 if I remember correctly, and my car had 49 before biting the dust so it's almost like an exact replacement, cause the second LLT eats just as much oil and gets just as many CELs! -__-
Old 07-22-2016, 05:28 PM   #24
TJ91

I still cant believe GM isnt recalling this
Ridiculous
Old 07-22-2016, 11:12 PM   #25
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
OP, do you know the build date on your car? I had heard that 2010 and early made 2011 LLT motors were prone to fail.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #26
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Also, that would help regarding the drivetrain warranty.. Remember, these motors are covered 5yr/100k miles. If the build date is later, then you might be able to get the motor covered.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #27
Patrick864 RS

well Im picking the car up tomorrow morning. Supercharger still equipped. They drove it today and said it ran perfect and plan on letting it sit tonight and see how it does before I pick it up. They said the engine is covered under warranty and IF something does happen to this new engine and it blows like the last...I can tow it to them and they will repair it under warranty. Even with the supercharger. So that makes me feel a little better. Now its on to getting the big dent out of my door where a deer decided to literally run right into me. And go on my way until I one day can afford to upgrade. Hoping to get some ZL1 replicas to reward my car for being such a trooper through its rebirth haha but we will see about that. Thanks everybody for the concerns and opinions! Ill keep yall posted
Old 07-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #28
Patrick864 RS

got the car back today! It's making some squeaking noise during acceleration...they said it's not any of the belts but I've never heard it before so not sure. It also shut off on me at a red light like it used to. I don't know if it's the tune or what but I have to get that fixed. It did that before the engine died so I'm clueless on it too. Got an appointment scheduled for Monday to get it looked at. Also looking to just get it dyno tuned because I feel like it can run so much better than what it used to.