Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
17txcamaross

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Dyno Pulls - DIfferent for mode selected?

Morning Camaro6 community,

So I went to a charity dyno day yesterday afternoon at the Universal Technical Institute in Houston. Got everything strapped in and put down 3 pulls with a high of 398.9 WHP and 409 TQ.

Now for the real question...when using the laptop and HP Tuners Scanner to log the pulls my laptop hit the mode button and all 3 pulls were made in Tour mode 5th gear. Does the mode make any difference in HP/TQ, or do it solely affect the curve without limit to max power?

As a side not for those curious, I did not get bone stock numbers. I currently have Rotofab Dry with Sound Tube, Ported TB/IM and MBRP axleback. This is all on a 2017 Camaro 2SS A8.

Will have to get a picture or scan of the printout, but do not have it with me at the office.

I will be installing catless longtubes, xpipe, midpipes, and tuning for the already installed EFI E85 FFS. Then back to the dyno.

Thanks!
17txcamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
AchiliesSS

Drives: 2017 Black on Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17txcamaross View Post
Morning Camaro6 community,

So I went to a charity dyno day yesterday afternoon at the Universal Technical Institute in Houston. Got everything strapped in and put down 3 pulls with a high of 398.9 WHP and 409 TQ.

Now for the real question...when using the laptop and HP Tuners Scanner to log the pulls my laptop hit the mode button and all 3 pulls were made in Tour mode 5th gear. Does the mode make any difference in HP/TQ, or do it solely affect the curve without limit to max power?

As a side not for those curious, I did not get bone stock numbers. I currently have Rotofab Dry with Sound Tube, Ported TB/IM and MBRP axleback. This is all on a 2017 Camaro 2SS A8.

Will have to get a picture or scan of the printout, but do not have it with me at the office.

I will be installing catless longtubes, xpipe, midpipes, and tuning for the already installed EFI E85 FFS. Then back to the dyno.

Thanks!
Hey bud. There isn't a difference on total power through the modes. The actual throttle curve per peddle input changes through a specific rpm but top end or pass a certain rpm all the power still comes in, which I'm not sure which method gm uses to control this, there a different ways either though the pcm by literally changing the torque management variables which I believe is what it does via mode or by changing the pedal output voltages or impedance just like the modes on a throttle controller vitesse controller etc.
AchiliesSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
AchiliesSS

Drives: 2017 Black on Black 1SS
Also food for thought. I have done a lot of testing with my all stock m6 with npp. Here at state capitol raceway, baton rouge Louisiana, I have ran a cosistant 12.4s and periodical best of 12.3 all stock on nitto g2s street tires. I did this with sport mode no traction control, and if you can control the launch leaving at 2200rpm then your golden other wise in track mode no matter what I did I could not beat 12.5. The reason I say this is because I notice at idle through 4krpm in sport mode it is a lot more aggressive and track pass 4krpm is the same as sport from what I can tell, but a actual dyno can verify that through the curve on what the car is doing each mode.
AchiliesSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
17txcamaross

Quote:
Originally Posted by AchiliesSS View Post
Also food for thought. I have done a lot of testing with my all stock m6 with npp. Here at state capitol raceway, baton rouge Louisiana, I have ran a cosistant 12.4s and periodical best of 12.3 all stock on nitto g2s street tires. I did this with sport mode no traction control, and if you can control the launch leaving at 2200rpm then your golden other wise in track mode no matter what I did I could not beat 12.5. The reason I say this is because I notice at idle through 4krpm in sport mode it is a lot more aggressive and track pass 4krpm is the same as sport from what I can tell, but a actual dyno can verify that through the curve on what the car is doing each mode.
Thanks for your replies. I was assuming this would be the case and that the only difference was that the car took longer to get to redline in 5th compared to what it might under sport. Numbers seemed pretty well in line with the parts installed. Looks like the normal baseline on a dynojet is between 375-385. That would say 15-25 hp gain from mods without a tune...I know this isn't exactly an accurate way to estimate, but the best i can do without a true baseline.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
17tx- I doubt the mode had any issue. Unlss it was in snow ice.

Your numbers are well within stock parameters. Roto fab maybe a coulple hp at most.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Always do your dyno runs in competition mode with all of the nannies turned off. I picked up 20 rwhp by simply turning everything off on my dyno run.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:57 AM   #7
17txcamaross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
Always do your dyno runs in competition mode with all of the nannies turned off. I picked up 20 rwhp by simply turning everything off on my dyno run.
Traction control was turned off, but stabilitrak still on. I should have realized it was in tour when the double click would not put the car in competition mode. First time ever on a dyno. Next time I will make sure all nannies including stabilitrak are off...although I think the TC is the only one which would effect numbers if any.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
While in track mode, press and hold the mode switch for about 10 seconds. This will turn all of the nannies off. Only way to be sure when on the dyno.

Makes for an interesting spirited drive with everything off. I was surprised how much the nannies control the car.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #9
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
While in track mode, press and hold the mode switch for about 10 seconds. This will turn all of the nannies off. Only way to be sure when on the dyno.

Makes for an interesting spirited drive with everything off. I was surprised how much the nannies control the car.
This is my first decently fast car with TC, etc. Im used to controlling the car, it's little annoying/unsettling to have it shut down the start of something, I grew used to cars relying on me to do it right when breaking it loose, and I jad one car thay was particularly brutal. And when I put it in a slide one day I was shocked that it stopped something that was so slight .
Old 04-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #10
awrj2000

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
This is my first decently fast car with TC, etc. Im used to controlling the car, it's little annoying/unsettling to have it shut down the start of something, I grew used to cars relying on me to do it right when breaking it loose, and I jad one car thay was particularly brutal. And when I put it in a slide one day I was shocked that it stopped something that was so slight .
You would be surprised how quickly these cars break the back end loose. If you want to test your skills in drifting...well you know the button.

I had the 2012 V6 and didn't think it was doing much. Shut of the nannies and mashed it out of the driveway. I quickly was facing the driveway again and really didn't think the little V6 would do that.

Now the 2SS...I don't play like that at all.
awrj2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:04 PM   #11
SnakeEyeSS

Drives: Camaro 2SS & ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrj2000 View Post
You would be surprised how quickly these cars break the back end loose. If you want to test your skills in drifting...well you know the button.

I had the 2012 V6 and didn't think it was doing much. Shut of the nannies and mashed it out of the driveway. I quickly was facing the driveway again and really didn't think the little V6 would do that.

Now the 2SS...I don't play like that at all.
I had a first Gen F body that put down well over 500 to the wheels and had 4.54 differential gearing, and that was with a TH400, which is basically a black hole for drivetrain loss. That car would break the tires lose at will, and zero tech to keep you on the road, it never got out of hand while I was driving it. But I scared some people so bad on a test ride when I was selling it they arrived wanting to buy and left refusing to consider it anymore, at least they were start enough to know they couldn't handle it. Brutal car.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #12
horizon670

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT / RS / Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyeSS View Post
I had a first Gen F body that put down well over 500 to the wheels and had 4.54 differential gearing, and that was with a TH400, which is basically a black hole for drivetrain loss. That car would break the tires lose at will, and zero tech to keep you on the road, it never got out of hand while I was driving it. But I scared some people so bad on a test ride when I was selling it they arrived wanting to buy and left refusing to consider it anymore, at least they were start enough to know they couldn't handle it. Brutal car.

With a Throttle Controlleryou get that same feel as in older cars with a hard cable controlled Throttle Body. At SP5 you get a more linear acceleration ( 1 to 1 ratio ).

You can controller exactly how you want the car to behave with 9 different settings.

At higher settings, any car can brake loose the wheels even a stock V6 or the Turbo 4 Cyl.
horizon670 is offline   Reply With Quote