Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #1
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Hail storm while my car was at shop...

The SS went to the shop to once again recorrect the steering wheel issues...

I ended up taking a loaner. Not even 15 minutes after I got home, we got pulverized by a hail storm....

Name:  075BF258-D988-487E-B6C4-7B73F6EBEEEE.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  B778B07B-0B73-4820-8783-CEB08AA9E300.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  143.1 KB

The loaner has dents in the roof...

My car was probably sitting outside during the storm because they weren’t ready to take it in yet and I’m pretty sure it has also been struck but not 100% certain yet.

I guess I’m trying to figure out what the process is and what I should expect.

I’m guessing my insurance has to cover the damage to the loaner

What about my car though? Does the shop cover that or do I have to cover that too?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #2
Cptchris

Drives: Camaro 2019 2SS
I would call them and ask. My accord (commuter car) parked in front of my house was hit by 2 different people (front and back)and I don’t know who did it, my insurance want me to pay my deductible twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cptchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 01:59 PM   #3
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
First things first - make sure your car has been damaged. It may well be fine. Hail is fickle stuff in that in one area it can be big enough to cause damage and just down the road nothing fell or it's too small to cause any damage. If your Camaro is damaged - call in a claim on your insurance. They will handle it as a comprehensive coverage loss.

As to the loaner - I believe that will fall back to the dealership to make a claim to their own insurance carrier or to fix it themselves. I'm basing this on the fact they loaned it to you and you did not rent it from them. I may be wrong on that but that is where I would start. Give the car back and let them deal with it. You can always involve your carrier later if needed.

Bottom line - your insurance is primary on your car and the dealer's coverage is primary on their loaner unless you rented it. Did you sign any paperwork for the loaner? If so, does it speak to accountability for damages while in your control?

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:07 PM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptchris View Post
I would call them and ask. My accord (commuter car) parked in front of my house was hit by 2 different people (front and back)and I don’t know who did it, my insurance want me to pay my deductible twice.

It's a tough break but the deductible on an auto policy is applied per incident. You car was damaged by two separate incidents thus two deductibles.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:22 PM   #5
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Oh that sucks, the sheet metal on these cars like many others these days.... is so thin.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #6
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
My wife's black 2017 Z71 was wasted with 214 dents a year ago $2500 in covered dent less repair and to be honest I could even tell and it's black.
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:26 PM   #7
Timbo-1LE

Also insurance cover that and my daughters Corolla for $1000 for both cars...
Old 04-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #8
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptchris View Post

2 separate losses, 2 deductibles. You decided to claim both losses. You can always claim one loss, you pick it front or rear and then pay 1 deductible. The OP has a similar issue, 2 cars, 1 loss on each car, 2 deductibles, unless OP took out separate insurance on his loaner/rental. Hail damage is covered under Comp coverage, Some folks have a lower deductible or no deductible on Comp coverage on there own auto policys.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:43 PM   #9
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
The wife and I took the Camaro on a Sunday drive a year or so ago. It was a beautiful sunny day. When we returned home, I left the Camaro outside, planning to clean it up before I put it away. We were inside piddled around when a damn thunderstorm complete with ping-pong size hail blew in out of nowhere. My car had around 30 dents, my wife's RX 350 Lexus, which still had the dealer plate on it had about the same. The dentless guy did a phenomenal job. You cannot see any sign of damage on either vehicle. Insurance gave us checks for diminished value on both vehicles.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 05:59 PM   #10
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The SS went to the shop to once again recorrect the steering wheel issues...

I ended up taking a loaner. Not even 15 minutes after I got home, we got pulverized by a hail storm....

Attachment 1065064

Attachment 1065065

The loaner has dents in the roof...

My car was probably sitting outside during the storm because they weren’t ready to take it in yet and I’m pretty sure it has also been struck but not 100% certain yet.

I guess I’m trying to figure out what the process is and what I should expect.

I’m guessing my insurance has to cover the damage to the loaner

What about my car though? Does the shop cover that or do I have to cover that too?
Looking at that I just want to lay down and cry. For me and my dealer I cover the loaner and my car but something like this is "act of nature" so who knows.

Keep us informed please. And good luck, hope the Camaro is ok!

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:06 PM   #11
Timbo-1LE

Geico cover both our cars and did one deductible. You have to simply ask and push. One event...
Old 04-16-2021, 08:05 PM   #12
Need4Camaro

Updates:

So here is what happened so far...

Two claims for two different cars

#1 The Malibu which was my loaner, brand new car too... Im the first driver. I signed a document when I took the loaner making me liable for any damage it incurs while its in my possession so I have to pay for the damages.
#2 The Toyota Prius which is my DD while the SS is typically the garage car (I needed the loaner to get home from the dealer)

Whats really shitty is I had the opportunity to put the Malibu in the garage but was like 'nah its just a loaner it will be fine.' ...didn't even get 15 minutes in my driveway before it gets pulverized. Couldn't believe it... ah well it is what it is life can be a B sometimes.

Good news...

It didn't hail where my SS was. My 4th Gen Z28 was also at another shop getting knock sensors installed (needed customizations for it due to it being an LS3 swap).. I was more worried about it given that would technically total it and it has T-Tops too... but fortunately the shop was smart and parked it in the garage as soon as they saw storm clouds brewing saving my @$$ ...

$1,000 in deductibles.. ..I'm actually kind of hoping they total the Prius... we'll see what comes of it though.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:31 AM   #13
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Updates:

So here is what happened so far...

Two claims for two different cars

#1 The Malibu which was my loaner, brand new car too... Im the first driver. I signed a document when I took the loaner making me liable for any damage it incurs while its in my possession so I have to pay for the damages.
#2 The Toyota Prius which is my DD while the SS is typically the garage car (I needed the loaner to get home from the dealer)

Whats really shitty is I had the opportunity to put the Malibu in the garage but was like 'nah its just a loaner it will be fine.' ...didn't even get 15 minutes in my driveway before it gets pulverized. Couldn't believe it... ah well it is what it is life can be a B sometimes.

Good news...

It didn't hail where my SS was. My 4th Gen Z28 was also at another shop getting knock sensors installed (needed customizations for it due to it being an LS3 swap).. I was more worried about it given that would technically total it and it has T-Tops too... but fortunately the shop was smart and parked it in the garage as soon as they saw storm clouds brewing saving my @$$ ...

$1,000 in deductibles.. ..I'm actually kind of hoping they total the Prius... we'll see what comes of it though.

Man, bummer about the two cars. I'm in Cedar Park and both of the cars were in the garage. Looks like probably a new roof, however.

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:03 AM   #14
Need4Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
Man, bummer about the two cars. I'm in Cedar Park and both of the cars were in the garage. Looks like probably a new roof, however.
Yeah I need to have my roof inspected too. I’m a few miles north of you in Leander. I knew it was going to rain but I sure as heck wasn’t expecting that to happen.

The Prius incurred $2k in damage. The loaner I have to wait till Monday to find out.