Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-08-2021, 05:24 PM   #1
Bowman_ZL1

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
CAI Voiding Factory Warranty?

I’ve ordered a roto fab cold air intake for my 2020 ZL1 that I purchased new last October. I’m hearing stories where installing this can void my factory warranty. Anyone know if there’s any truth to this? Thanks
Bowman_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:41 PM   #2
Camaro1973

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowman_ZL1 View Post
I’ve ordered a roto fab cold air intake for my 2020 ZL1 that I purchased new last October. I’m hearing stories where installing this can void my factory warranty. Anyone know if there’s any truth to this? Thanks
This topic has been beaten like a dead horse.

Gm can say what they want about whatever you do to your car to void the warranty. It’s up to them/or you to prove or not prove your mods damaged so called (parts). Adding a simple intake could or could not void your warranty. Really depends on dealer. Mostly no . No changes need to be made to the tune with a 4” intake so you could simply save your original and swap it back on
If you ever have a warranty issue.

Most good non a hole managers won’t worry about small stuff. Like adding an intake is not going to void your warranty for a lcd problem etc. My dealer here is pretty good about the stuff. As long as what your doing shouldn’t directly effect the part they’ll warranty it.

Each dealer is different. Just save the intake. It’s a 10 min swap.
Camaro1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #3
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
At the dealership level, you need to find one that doesn't make an issue of it. With that said, GM can void a warranty for just about any mod, if they choose to do so. And it is up to the owner to prove them wrong.
My dealership does make a big deal over it, because they install aftermarket parts.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #4
Bowman_ZL1

I appreciate the info brother...That’s my game plan. If I do have a warranty issue, I’ll just throw the factory air box back on. That’s usually the first mod anyone does on these cars.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #5
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
No mod automatically “voids“ your powertrain warranty. As mentioned, the dealer must show a factual connection between the unapproved mod and the problem. A CAI is low risk and can easily be replaced. No worries.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:22 PM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
No you won’t void your warranty by installing that Roto-Fab! I have one and am not concerned because it runs off your stock tune. Now a Big Gulp Roto-Fab requires a tune but you don’t have one so you should be good to go.��
Old 04-08-2021, 06:28 PM   #7
Bowman_ZL1

Thanks for all the replies guys. Hopefully I won’t have any need to ever take it to the dealer.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:46 PM   #8
Cjw

Drives: 370z, Srt-6
Just be safe and swap the stock air box back when you take it for warranty work
Cjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #9
Clavery1322

Drives: 2020 Callaway ZLE 1LE /\ 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
At the dealership level, you need to find one that doesn't make an issue of it. With that said, GM can void a warranty for just about any mod, if they choose to do so. And it is up to the owner to prove them wrong.
My dealership does make a big deal over it, because they install aftermarket parts.
True, most good dealers know what’s what. ultimately The dealer can say what they want and it’s true in certain cases GM can deny your warranty initially but actually the burden of proof rests on the dealer and the OEM to prove the part You installed caused the issue you are experiencing. The owner has to prove nothing. At the first sign of legal action or citing the magnuson-moss warranty act most will back down.

That is of course unless you blatantly do something that voids your warranty like adding a blower, going e85 and tuning. Safe to say you’re not gonna get much support on that one.
Clavery1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:24 PM   #10
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Look up the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. Any manufacturer will have to prove that whatever mod you did to your vehicle or wherever else, caused it to have an issue.

FYI. It's also illegal for those void warranty stickers to be put on anything. Big companies like Microsoft have lost again and again in court over those stickers on their products.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:00 PM   #11
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
I sent an email to my local Chevy dealer asking if a CAI voids the warranty. The answer I got back was: "It could void the warranty on components it interacts with." Sufficiently vague. I've always been a guy who stays stock so my warranty isn't screwed but I decided to put in a CAI. As mentioned before, no tune, no CEL. If the engine throws a rod I just can't fathom any reasonable mechanic saying there's a connection. Of course nothing is 100% so the bottom line is while I feel extremely confident that a CAI won't affect the warranty (I have a Cold Air Inductions CAI and on their website they explicitly state that a CAI will NOT void a warranty - That's a pretty big statement) I don't know what the dealer would do, so I'll do what people have been saying......put the stock CAI back into the car so there's no question (Though Al does claim they can tell if a CAI has been in the car).

Funny enough, when I asked Porsche about putting a set of sport headers in my GT4 the dealer said Porsche doesn't care and it won't affect the warranty. I kept that email handy.

One question I've been curious about because this issue has been discussed extensively, is how many people have actually had major engine failures with ONLY a CAI installed on the car? How about minor engine issues? I know there is a story on here about a member who had a warranty claim denied. That seems like the exception vice the rule.
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:39 PM   #12
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
I sent an email to my local Chevy dealer asking if a CAI voids the warranty. The answer I got back was: "It could void the warranty on components it interacts with." Sufficiently vague. I've always been a guy who stays stock so my warranty isn't screwed but I decided to put in a CAI. As mentioned before, no tune, no CEL. If the engine throws a rod I just can't fathom any reasonable mechanic saying there's a connection. Of course nothing is 100% so the bottom line is while I feel extremely confident that a CAI won't affect the warranty (I have a Cold Air Inductions CAI and on their website they explicitly state that a CAI will NOT void a warranty - That's a pretty big statement) I don't know what the dealer would do, so I'll do what people have been saying......put the stock CAI back into the car so there's no question (Though Al does claim they can tell if a CAI has been in the car).

Funny enough, when I asked Porsche about putting a set of sport headers in my GT4 the dealer said Porsche doesn't care and it won't affect the warranty. I kept that email handy.

One question I've been curious about because this issue has been discussed extensively, is how many people have actually had major engine failures with ONLY a CAI installed on the car? How about minor engine issues? I know there is a story on here about a member who had a warranty claim denied. That seems like the exception vice the rule.
Posing an interesting hypothetical of your statement to introduce a macroscopic analysis of this very subject; Object of discussion is an early ‘18 ZL1, completely stock except a axle back exhaust & a Rotofab intake. Suddenly, one day, it throughs an oil pump pressure code of oil pressure out of range or not responding. You take it in, has correct volume of the correct oil & P64 filter. Dealer eventually pulls timing cover to find a faulty oil pump & cam phasing apparatus.

Do they blame the axle back exhaust & Rotofab intake for a known TSB oil pump failure? What about that carbon fiber shift knob? How about those LED side markers? Or that wonderfully fragrant air freshener clipped on the visor?

What if the car had the dreaded axle hub bolt issue? They going to not warranty it because you added some weather tech floor mats?

Use some common sense here people.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:39 AM   #13
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
I understand the dealer/GM is supposed to have to prove the connection between a mod and a warranty issue, and the Magnuson Moss act protects you from GM making illogical claims about the cause of a warranty issue.

But in the end, if you have an issue and GM claims your CAI, catch can or exhaust caused it, and you have to hire lawyer and go to court to prove this, good luck with your lawyer vs. the GM lawyer. Let alone the time required to take them to court, even fighting a speeding ticket is a damn time suck and pain the ass.

GM can generally get away with whatever they chose to do unless you're ready to invest thousands of dollars in legal fees and days of time fighting them... I'm not.

That being said, keep your OEM parts and if you have a warranty issue replace them before going to the dealer--that will cover it.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:45 AM   #14
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavery1322 View Post
True, most good dealers know what’s what. ultimately The dealer can say what they want and it’s true in certain cases GM can deny your warranty initially but actually the burden of proof rests on the dealer and the OEM to prove the part You installed caused the issue you are experiencing. The owner has to prove nothing. At the first sign of legal action or citing the magnuson-moss warranty act most will back down.

That is of course unless you blatantly do something that voids your warranty like adding a blower, going e85 and tuning. Safe to say you’re not gonna get much support on that one.
Lets agree to disagree. Your statement "the owner has to prove nothing". If GM says something voids the warranty, if the owner wants to fight it.......he has to prove them wrong, albeit a futile venture, but nevertheless. That was my point.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote