Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-01-2021, 11:11 AM   #1
ImmDanny

Drives: 2021 1SS, 1969 Convertible
Break In Period, transmission fluid change required?

In a few days (hopefully) I'll be receiving my '21 1SS 6MT. I know there is a recommended 1,500 mile break in period, which I'll abide by, but when talking with the sales guy at the dealer I'm buying the car from, he said at 1,500 miles a trans and engine fluid change is recommended. I've bought one new car before (2018 MX-5) and I did do an oil change at about 1,500-2,000 miles, but never even thought/read anywhere to do a trans fluid change.

Is the trans fluid change necessary? I can understand the reasoning, just in case there is anything in the fluid from factory. However, oil changes I've done hundreds of times before, and was going to do that myself at 1,500 miles, but I've never changed trans fluid before. I'm a little wary to do that myself. At the same time, I don't really trust anyone with my cars besides myself, so I'm ALSO wary to bring it to a dealership to change the trans fluid.

What is recommended on this forum? Trans change at 1,500 miles and bring it to the dealer? Just leave it alone and do a trans fluid change later in it's life?

I will say, I plan to keep this car a very long time, so I want to do whatever prolongs the life of this vehicle (given I can't suddenly afford a ZL1, then I'd trade up). I'm also going to be purchasing a catch can to install.

Thanks for the responses, glad to soon be part of the club! (I do have a '69 vert, so I'm kind of already part of the camaro club, just not the 6th gen club).
ImmDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Diff fluid change is a must. It's specified in the manual.

Trans fluid is at your discretion. If you plan on tracking or AutoX'ing the car, I would change the Trans fluid.

Both Diff and Trans aren't much more complicated than oil changes.

You'll just need a fluid pump.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0853CNLYZ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_PSNTN7EGX9DTVCFFQRQB?_encodin g=UTF8&psc=1

One tip I can offer...make sure you get the fill plugs open before the drain plugs.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:50 AM   #3
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post

Trans fluid is at your discretion. If you plan on tracking or AutoX'ing the car, I would change the Trans fluid.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0853CNLYZ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_PSNTN7EGX9DTVCFFQRQB?_encodin g=UTF8&psc=1

One tip I can offer...make sure you get the fill plugs open before the drain plugs.
If you've got the pump, I'd rate the diff change as less involved than an oil change. Trans is almost as easy, but it is messier unless you remove the cross brace.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
ImmDanny

Drives: 2021 1SS, 1969 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post

I don't plan on tracking the car, just going to be daily driver. Interesting about the diff, haven't read anything about that yet. I also haven't gotten the manual yet to read.

I do have a lift, so changing fluids isn't really a big deal to me as far as ease/cleanup. I've just never done a diff or trans before and I guess in my head I'm thinking it's some complex thing.

I've been browsing this forum all morning and did come across a write up for the trans fluid change on the DIY section. It actually did seem extremely easy. Looks like I just need to get one of those pumps, and figure out the correct fluid for trans and diff.

Thanks for the response!
ImmDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:19 PM   #5
Mike Aruba

Drives: 2016 2SS
I still haven't gotten around to changing my diff fluid yet. 16 SS with 26k miles. Planning to do it soon. What fluid are you guys running when you change it?
Mike Aruba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Even for track manual doesn’t say to change trans. My autocross buddy who is a gm tech didn’t even say to do it. Just do oil and differential. But up to you.can’t hurt.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #7
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Even for track manual doesn’t say to change trans. My autocross buddy who is a gm tech didn’t even say to do it. Just do oil and differential. But up to you.can’t hurt.
Wrong. The 2021 manual says to change the transmission fluid after every 15 hours of track time. It also has to be set to track level prior to track events.

Rear diff.: the car must have 1500 miles (break in), then change diff fluid before the first track event, then change diff fluid again after the first track event, and then after every 24 hours of track use. It also says any damage to the rear diff. during the first track event will not be covered under warranty, so don't push it too hard during the first event.

Brakes also have to be burnished before track use. The manual also recommends high temp. brake fluid.

There are other specifics as well for track use recommendations/requirements in the manual.

There is some misinformation in this thread. The break-in section says nothing about changing diff fluid or transmission fluid for regular day to day use after the break-in period. It lists the first diff. fluid change at 45k miles (for limited slip diff.). I can't even find anything in the break-in section about changing the oil after 500 or 1,500 miles (it does mention to check it during every fuel fill since the engines can use more oil during break-in). I'd be curious if the manual specifically mentions changing the oil after break-in, or if that is just something people do because they have always done it...I think most people do just to be safe and for piece of mind. Me included - I plan to change the engine oil after the break-in period, just because. I think it could be implied that if it's good to do before track use, then it couldn't hurt to do after break-in (i.e., the diff fluid).

Overall: Read the manual carefully and it will tell you what to do. They are available online if you want to read it before your car arrives. There is a chart with recommended service and fluid change schedules in the manual.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #8
MR's 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS Vert/M6/F250 SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmDanny View Post
I don't plan on tracking the car, just going to be daily driver. Interesting about the diff, haven't read anything about that yet. I also haven't gotten the manual yet to read.

I do have a lift, so changing fluids isn't really a big deal to me as far as ease/cleanup. I've just never done a diff or trans before and I guess in my head I'm thinking it's some complex thing.

I've been browsing this forum all morning and did come across a write up for the trans fluid change on the DIY section. It actually did seem extremely easy. Looks like I just need to get one of those pumps, and figure out the correct fluid for trans and diff.

Thanks for the response!
Similar to you as we picked up our vert Jan. 2 but just started driving it. We have about 900 miles.
After a lot of reading and threads here Im using the Mobil 1 0w 40. I just bought it from Rock Auto and It was not only one of the few places I found the proper Dexos 2 but it was I think $6.80ish a quart. I bought 24 Qts and a box of filters and shipping was 15 bucks. If you buy 10 qts shipping is about the same.
I intend to use Tremec trans oil. I figure its their trans... and they apparently recently came out with a new formulation for our trans.
I havnt decided on fluid for the diff but Im leaning towards Redline or maybe Valvoline in the proper spec.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:47 PM   #9
mano_camaro
IYAOYAS

Drives: 22 1LE 2SS M6 Riverside Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR's 2SS View Post
I intend to use Tremec trans oil. I figure its their trans.
Ditto.. But for some reason i have been unable to find any available tremec Trans fluid. it says out of stock in several places besides tremec themselves .

Anyone been able to source Tremec Manual trans fluid recently?

2020 Red Hot Camaro 2SS 1LE/PDR /Sold

2018 black Camaro 2SS M6 Redline Edition/Traded

2016 summit white Camaro RS V6 M6/Traded
mano_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #10
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
I did my first oil change at 500 miles then again at 1K. I have 4300 miles and have actually changed it 5 times. I know its a waste but why not I do it myself anyway. Diff fluid was at 1500 miles and that surprised me how bad it actually was, did it again at 4K and it still looked new. Did my trans fluid about 3 weeks ago and switched it to Royal Purple and I do see a difference as it feels smoother during shifts. The fluid actually still looked brand new though when I drained it. I used the temp sensor to drain it so I didn't really make a mess and I have a lift so its a pretty easy job.

Last edited by pauly1119; 04-01-2021 at 03:16 PM.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:00 PM   #11
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
I did both the rear diff and MT6 at 10k miles. glad I did, found a few shavings in the trans and the diff looked terrible. Did again at 20k and they both looked real good.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #12
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mano_camaro View Post
Ditto.. But for some reason i have been unable to find any available tremec Trans fluid. it says out of stock in several places besides tremec themselves .

Anyone been able to source Tremec Manual trans fluid recently?
Quote:
OUR SUPPLIER WAS GREATLY EFFECTED BY THE WINTER STORMS IN TEXAS. AT THIS TIME, WE DO NOT HAVE A DELIVERY DATE. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE.
https://www.tremec-store.com/product...smission-fluid

Sucks... I've got some on order from Summit Racing but their estimated ship date keeps getting pushed back (was April 21 and today it's May 11).
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #13
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Aruba View Post
I still haven't gotten around to changing my diff fluid yet. 16 SS with 26k miles. Planning to do it soon. What fluid are you guys running when you change it?
Just use the oem fluid.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008BZS6...v_ov_lig_dp_it
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:03 PM   #14
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
Wrong. The 2021 manual says to change the transmission fluid after every 15 hours of track time. It also has to be set to track level prior to track events.

That's for the 10-speed. OP has a 6MT.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote