Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-08-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
pat_t

Drives: .
A little bit of Z/28 racing history...

Spotted in Belgium! I thought a few might find this cool! I did!

1979 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z/28 SUPERPRODUCTION

A link to the advert here:
https://www.racecarsdirect.com/Adver...uperproduction

Has anyone else got any cool historic Z/28 racecars from Generation 1 to 4? Post them on this thread

cheers,
Pat
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
I had a 79 Z/28...it had a 190 hp 4 bolt main 350. YIKES!!!!

It couldn't get out of the way of its own shadow. Mine ended up with $5200 in engine and drivetrain transplant (the car cost $7200 from the dealership). An NHRA engine builder I knew built a 376 ci NA engine out of my block; it had an Al high rise manifold, popup pistons, a big cam; headers and exhaust (1 7/8"??); and a 12 bolt rear end supposedly from a LS6 SS Malibu 454 with 4.11 gears (a wrecking yard jewel). Unfortunately it was auto, but with a shift kit that would get yank you and get scratch at gear shifts. That car could pass everything except a gas station -> it got 3 to 6 miles per gallon. In a corner- forget about it...nothing like today's cars

Same car I got a ticket in - going 139 when I saw the Texas DPS trooper, he only clocked me at 105 in a 55. Cured me of speeding, since the extra insurance costs were $10,000 over 5 years. Thank God he was a car guy..he didn't put me in jail..like they would today.

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #3
pat_t

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raging_Bull View Post
I had a 79 Z/28...it had a 190 hp 4 bolt main 350. YIKES!!!!
Great story Bull. I love little anecdotes like these!

I found another couple of old Race Z/28s with incredible provenance. I hope you don't mind the long text, I found it fascinating.

Number #7

Quote:

The International Race of Champions, known as IROC, was created by Roger Penske, Les Richter and Mike Phelps. The first races were held in 1973 with the twelve entrants driving Porsches RSR 3-liter racers competing in a four-race series. Three of the races were at Riverside and one was at Daytona. The twelve entrants were some of the greatest racers of their time from four major branches - Formula One, USAC, NASCAR, and SCCA.

Due to the high costs associated with building and maintaining the Porsche's, the Chevrolet Camaro was used during the second season and continued through 1980 when the league decided to take a break. In 1984, the league returned and once again featured the Chevrolet Camaro. In 1989, due to high costs associated with sponsoring the event, Chevrolet decided not to renew their contract with IROC. This meant that their IROC series of Camaro's were unable to be produced anymore.

The black number seven 1974 Chevrolet Camaro IROC Race Car was offered for sale at the 2006 RM Auction in Monterey California where it was expected to sell between $100,000-$150,000. It was offered without reserve. Driven by Bobby Allison, Bobby Unser, and Emerson Fittipaldi drove this vehicle and never lost a race while behind the wheel. This vehicle was never defeated. It is thought that the vehicle was a Penske/Donohue prototype car. It was dubbed 'lucky number seven' due to its very prestigious accomplishments on the racing circuit.

Since then the vehicle has undergone a complete nut-and-bolt restoration. It was fitted with new fenders and body panels. It is powered by a 336 cubic-inch V8 small-block engine that was rebuilt by Dusty Rhodes Custom Racing Engines and fitted with Venolia pistons and a Delta crank. It is capable of producing 400 horsepower which it sends to the rear wheels through a Muncie four-speed manual gearbox. It has a Holman and Moody nine inch rear end.

It is believed that only four of the original fifteen Camaro IROC racers exist in modern times. This helped inspired interest in the vehicle at the RM Auction, where bidding reached a high of $121,000.

In 2008, the car was brought back to RM's 'Sport & Classics of Monterey' where it was estimated to sell for $100,000 - $135,000. The lot was sold for $105,600 including buyer's premium.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Number #10

Quote:
David Pearson drove this #10 Chevrolet Camaro on October 26th, 1974 at the IROC II Riverside. Johnny Rutherford drove it the following day at Riverside. A.J. Foyt drove it February 14th of 1975 at the IROC II Daytona. Jody Scheckter drove it September 13th of 1975 at IROC III Michigan and again on October 17th of 1976 at IROC IV Riverside. James Hunt drove it on September 18th of 1976 at IROC IV Michigan.

The car has a 30 gallon fuel tank and weighs 3,200 pounds dry. It has a 109 inch wheelbase and sits 50 inches tall. The Chevrolet 350 cubic-inch engine prepared by Traco offers 440 horsepower and 400 ft-lbs of torque. It rides on Goodyear tires, has steel and fiberglas body, and a worm-and-peg steering. There is an Edelbrock manifold and a Holley 850 four-barrel carburetor.

So the number 7 car was driven by Fittipaldi and the Number 10 by Jody Scheckter and James Hunt!! Incredible!
Old 08-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Yeah i'd love to have that #7 car! Both cars have quite an impressive list of drivers.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
Spyglass

Drives: Too many
Race cars rule.

Disclaimer: Pretty sure I could be wrong on this but for some reason I thought the 2014/15 was the return of the Z/28 AND not since the beginning of Camaro ( ala first gen, trans am, scca, pony car wars) had Chevrolet agreed to build a factory built Z/28 race car.
Maybe privateers?
or maybe it was a dream. haha
Spyglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:27 PM   #6
aris

Drives: Z/28
Loving that brown/bronze #10 car!!
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #7
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
Best Z is the first Z, 1967 with RS package. My dream car.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:23 PM   #8
craZed

Drives: Z/28 15 AGM
Y'all need to visit http://www.historictransam.com/ to see lots of info on vintage Trans Am cars and events. Here's a sample of the 68 Z/28 originally driven by Mark Donohue http://www.historictransam.com/Drive...68Camaro6.html

Neat Stuff
craZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
pat_t

Cool thread revival!

Time to bring this thread back..!

https://www.sportscarmarket.com/prof...ns-am-race-car

This Camaro is the car that Vince Gimondo drove to a 2nd in class at the 12 Hours of Sebring, 9th overall at Watkins Glen, and 2nd at the American Road Race of Champions (ARRC) at Daytona in the 1969 season.

For 1970, Gimondo drove this car to a 1st in class and 14th overall at the 12 Hours of Sebring; he finished in the top ten in Trans Am events at Lime Rock, Mid-Ohio, and Bridgehampton, placed 11th at Road America, and 21st at Watkins Glen. The following year, he remained competitive, driving to a 1st in class and 11th overall at the 24 Hours of Daytona. After a DNF at Sebring, Gimondo sold the car to Jerry Lipke, who ran it in SCCA SE Division races, finishing 4th in the divisional standings and 6th at the SCCA Nationals at Daytona. Lipke continued to run the car in 1972, selling it in 1973 to Rich Smalls.

Later, the car was converted into a club racer with a big-block engine and was then parked. In 1990, it was advertised as a “possible Sebring racer.” Restoration began in 2001, and then the car was sold again. The new owner sent it to Legendary Motor Car Company, which restored the car to its 1970 Sebring race trim. Legendary incorporated modern technology available to make it competitive in today’s top-level vintage racing series. The Camaro’s 525-hp V8 puts the power down through a custom-made nine-inch rear end and a Tex Transmissions full race gearbox. The work was completed in 2003, and the Camaro was successfully driven by its then-owner in a number of SVRA and HSR events.

A notarized letter from Gimondo testifies to the authenticity of this historic race car, and it possesses a certificate from the Trans Am Registry. Granted an SVRA Group 6 Medallion, this car is said to be mechanically sorted and eligible to run in a variety of vintage races. This car sold for $148,500, including buyer’s premium, at Gooding & Company’s Scottsdale Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona, on January 23, 2010

Scalextric model:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1988 IMSA GTO CAMARO

This is a great (long) read on the restoration and use of this car at Monterey Historics:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/orga...-race-car.html

For sale advert:
https://www.racecarsdirect.com/Adver...-parts-include
Old 08-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #10
Racer56

Drives: 2015 Z-28 white
I had the good fortune of watching Mark Donohue thrash around his blue Penske Trans Am Z-28 at the Glen, Bridgehampton and Lime Rock in the late '60's early '70's. '

I was so hooked that I bought a '69 Z-28 of the same color upon graduating college. I actually called the Penske shop asking them about modifications and found them to be quite helpful and informative.

So, now a few years later, I have a 2015 Z-28 which is heavily modified for track use. I also have a Cayman S race car (not the one in photo) and switch back and forth. One is an sledgehammer, the other a scalpel, but I love them both.

Selected rides from past to present:
Brabham BT-18 F-3/C ('70)
Chevron B-17 F-3/C ('71)
911S/T 2.3 liter IMSA ('72) The one that got away
March 73B F-Atlantic ('73-74)
944S2 '89 SP-3, Super Cup (2007-'11)
Boxster S 2000, F Stock (2010-'11)
Cayman S 2009 ITC, GTB1 (2012-15)
2000 Spec Miata (2014-15)
2016 Carrera GTS Current
2016 MB E-63AMG wagon Current
2015 Camaro Z-28 track car (modified) Current
2009 Cayman S GTB1 (couldn't stay away) Current
Racer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:22 PM   #11
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
Time to bring this thread back..!

https://www.sportscarmarket.com/prof...ns-am-race-car

This Camaro is the car that Vince Gimondo drove to a 2nd in class at the 12 Hours of Sebring, 9th overall at Watkins Glen, and 2nd at the American Road Race of Champions (ARRC) at Daytona in the 1969 season.

For 1970, Gimondo drove this car to a 1st in class and 14th overall at the 12 Hours of Sebring; he finished in the top ten in Trans Am events at Lime Rock, Mid-Ohio, and Bridgehampton, placed 11th at Road America, and 21st at Watkins Glen. The following year, he remained competitive, driving to a 1st in class and 11th overall at the 24 Hours of Daytona. After a DNF at Sebring, Gimondo sold the car to Jerry Lipke, who ran it in SCCA SE Division races, finishing 4th in the divisional standings and 6th at the SCCA Nationals at Daytona. Lipke continued to run the car in 1972, selling it in 1973 to Rich Smalls.

Later, the car was converted into a club racer with a big-block engine and was then parked. In 1990, it was advertised as a “possible Sebring racer.” Restoration began in 2001, and then the car was sold again. The new owner sent it to Legendary Motor Car Company, which restored the car to its 1970 Sebring race trim. Legendary incorporated modern technology available to make it competitive in today’s top-level vintage racing series. The Camaro’s 525-hp V8 puts the power down through a custom-made nine-inch rear end and a Tex Transmissions full race gearbox. The work was completed in 2003, and the Camaro was successfully driven by its then-owner in a number of SVRA and HSR events.

A notarized letter from Gimondo testifies to the authenticity of this historic race car, and it possesses a certificate from the Trans Am Registry. Granted an SVRA Group 6 Medallion, this car is said to be mechanically sorted and eligible to run in a variety of vintage races. This car sold for $148,500, including buyer’s premium, at Gooding & Company’s Scottsdale Auction in Scottsdale, Arizona, on January 23, 2010

Scalextric model:

1988 IMSA GTO CAMARO

This is a great (long) read on the restoration and use of this car at Monterey Historics:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/orga...-race-car.html

For sale advert:
https://www.racecarsdirect.com/Adver...-parts-include
]
Off topic but was just curious,,,,
Also notice the Z/28 conversion package for sale in Germany for 3500 euro. Like little ove $4000 US if im reading it correctly. Seems awful cheap for what their advertising in the kit. Of course shipping would kill ya
Your from England, maybe you could shed some light on this ? Thanks
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbland60 View Post
]
Off topic but was just curious,,,,
Also notice the Z/28 conversion package for sale in Germany for 3500 euro. Like little ove $4000 US if im reading it correctly. Seems awful cheap for what their advertising in the kit. Of course shipping would kill ya
Your from England, maybe you could shed some light on this ? Thanks
yes, odd. This alone is $3400
https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...SABEgJfE_D_BwE
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #13
Gbland60

Drives: 2015 z28 Black w/ac #645
Posted the wrong site but you knew what i was talking about anyway lol. May check into it just to see if still available and try to get more info. The parts look legit but what they send you might be a different story. PS. Still love what you've done to your Z.
Gbland60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
JUSTIFIED

Drives: 2015 black Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer56 View Post
I had the good fortune of watching Mark Donohue thrash around his blue Penske Trans Am Z-28 at the Glen, Bridgehampton and Lime Rock in the late '60's early '70's. '

I was so hooked that I bought a '69 Z-28 of the same color upon graduating college. I actually called the Penske shop asking them about modifications and found them to be quite helpful and informative.

So, now a few years later, I have a 2015 Z-28 which is heavily modified for track use. I also have a Cayman S race car (not the one in photo) and switch back and forth. One is an sledgehammer, the other a scalpel, but I love them both.
If you want to read all about what Donohue and team did to the '69 Z/28, you should read Unfair Advantage. It chronicles his days racing the '68 & '69 Penske Z/28 (and a lot of other cars) and gives fantastic insight into everything that goes into racing from how they setup the cars to various types testing they performed (like running the car for nearly 24 hours straight to test it's durability and ability to consistently turn good lap times... they did so with he and only one other driver...).