Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #57
Posaune

Drives: Four wheels and an engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss/r's View Post
Has there been a official weight of the ATS?
FWIW, Cadillac.com lists the ATS-V at 3700lbs.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #58
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
Yep, same weight for the L4 and for the V6 versions of the ATS-V.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #59
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Can't remember where/ which mag but I thought they weighed the v8 ats-v at something like 3760.

That's why I'm worried about the SS hitting the mark. It needs to weigh 30 lbs less than that for 2016 2ss, compared to the 2015 2ss, to hit the promised 200 lbs.

The front brakes and calipers are smaller on the SS so that will help.

Not saying it can't happen but I won't be convinced till they publish official specs.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #60
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Can't remember where/ which mag but I thought they weighed the v8 ats-v at something like 3760.

That's why I'm worried about the SS hitting the mark. It needs to weigh 30 lbs less than that for 2016 2ss, compared to the 2015 2ss, to hit the promised 200 lbs.

The front brakes and calipers are smaller on the SS so that will help.

Not saying it can't happen but I won't be convinced till they publish official specs.
Nobody ever weighed a V8 ATS-V at 3760 lbs. There is no V8 in that car, its a twin turbo V6. The engine itself weighs about 20lbs more than the LT1 V8.

Anyway, if you want to use magazines as the basis for comparison then find one that has a 2015 2SS and compare that against a magazine weighed 2016 2SS (ideally from the same publication that had the 5th gen). This will be rather difficult as there aren't that many 5th gens getting tested these days. It gets even more difficult if you were interested in say a 1SS or one of the V6s because I can't remember even seeing a 1SS in a magazine, LTs only rarely (and always a 2LT), and the LS may as well not even exist as far as the magazines are concerned.

Or, you could just go by curb weights listed by the manufacturer as thats going to be the most consistent apples-to-apples comparison that you're going to get.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #61
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Nobody ever weighed a V8 ATS-V at 3760 lbs. There is no V8 in that car, its a twin turbo V6. The engine itself weighs about 20lbs more than the LT1 V8.

Anyway, if you want to use magazines as the basis for comparison then find one that has a 2015 2SS and compare that against a magazine weighed 2016 2SS (ideally from the same publication that had the 5th gen). This will be rather difficult as there aren't that many 5th gens getting tested these days. It gets even more difficult if you were interested in say a 1SS or one of the V6s because I can't remember even seeing a 1SS in a magazine, LTs only rarely (and always a 2LT), and the LS may as well not even exist as far as the magazines are concerned.

Or, you could just go by curb weights listed by the manufacturer as thats going to be the most consistent apples-to-apples comparison that you're going to get.
My bad I wasnt thinking. Obviously no lt1 in the ats-v. Made a quick post before running out the door.

The ats-v with twin turbo was weighed at 3760.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...bathtub-page-2
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #62
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Torque is somewhat over-rated. Its nice, don't get me wrong. But with comparable power to weight ratios, the lighter car wins a little more often than the torquier (sp?) car.
Torque is torque. It’s not over or underrated, it is what it is. The variable and what matters is harnessing that torque into forward motion.

Also I’m not quite convinced the V6 6th Gens will be much if any lighter than 4th Gen LS1 Camaro coupes. Power to weight is likely going to be in the 4th Gens favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
It is optimistic I agree....m6 ls1 no way...they ran as fast as high 12s (rare) and trapped up to 107-108.
As supersound said the 4 speed auto weren't nearly as fast. The 8 speed auto v6 might be able to hang with the ls1 a4...
For reference my 98 z28 m6 was a hard top stripper crank windows and all. It weighed 3297 with 1/3 tank of gas when I had it weighed at the place that dyno tuned it. (EPP-exotic performance plus which I think is out of business now) Only weight reduction I had done was removed spare and jack and obviously aftermarket exhaust usually saves weight.
So the curb weight (full tank and spare original everything) on a 98 m6 would be in the 3400lb range...and that was a no option car.
I was just surprised at how similar the power and weight looked compared to a 4th gen so I couldn't help but mention it...
Mod for mod you can forget it though....cammed ls1 and your gonna need fi with that v6. Even though it didn't make quite the power my 10 ss did...I swear my h/c 98 would have run neck and neck with it. It actually felt faster if I had to guess...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Hence why I mentioned A4 LS1. They would range from 13.8-13.4's. An A8 has substantial advantage in the 1/4, couple that with the stiffer chassis and better suspension of the 6th gen could make up for the slight difference in power. It will be very close I'm sure.
To me hanging with another car is a driver’s race where reaction time, launch and shifting determine the winner not power to weight.

And I understand the clarification of comparing automatic transmissions. However I would say while the autos may not have the higher trap speeds they are easier to launch and I would think that would favor the more powerful LS1. I just have trouble picturing a scenario where a V6 6th Gen Camaro runs down the LS1 on the top end or being able to hold it off if it has a slight advantage in the 60ft. I’m not talking hero runs with pros at Atco in the spring. I mean solid magazine type runs from both.

As has been mentioned and I think we all agree the 6th Gen V6 will close the gap from the 5th Gen V6 and should be solidly ahead of the LT1 4th Gens but I’m not quite ready yet to concede them bettering the LS1’s yet.

However, I hope I’m wrong. That will say a lot of good about the 6th Gen!
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:39 PM   #63
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
Torque is torque. It’s not over or underrated, it is what it is. The variable and what matters is harnessing that torque into forward motion.

Also I’m not quite convinced the V6 6th Gens will be much if any lighter than 4th Gen LS1 Camaro coupes. Power to weight is likely going to be in the 4th Gens favor.

To me hanging with another car is a driver’s race where reaction time, launch and shifting determine the winner not power to weight.

And I understand the clarification of comparing automatic transmissions. However I would say while the autos may not have the higher trap speeds they are easier to launch and I would think that would favor the more powerful LS1. I just have trouble picturing a scenario where a V6 6th Gen Camaro runs down the LS1 on the top end or being able to hold it off if it has a slight advantage in the 60ft. I’m not talking hero runs with pros at Atco in the spring. I mean solid magazine type runs from both.

As has been mentioned and I think we all agree the 6th Gen V6 will close the gap from the 5th Gen V6 and should be solidly ahead of the LT1 4th Gens but I’m not quite ready yet to concede them bettering the LS1’s yet.

However, I hope I’m wrong. That will say a lot of good about the 6th Gen!
The 4l60 was not that great in stock form. Its value was consistency, not really the launch. That being said it would be a drivers race for sure. Its just amazing to think we will have a V6 with a similar power to weight as the 4th gen V8s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote