Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-2SS View Post
Why go back to the stone age with a carb? I'd understand if this was a classic car but in a '10+? Makes no sense to me.

Sent from my Galaxy S3
It makes sense but in the name of HOZEPOWA!

It's different that's for sure. Now imagine a nawz fogger on that biach too?
Hot damn!
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:28 PM   #16
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantctchme View Post
You will need to.run larger fuel.line and convert your fuel sending unit.to.just a pickup. I personally would run a single billet (aeromotive, magnafuel,etc) pump to a return style regulator and plumb the car with a new feed and return line. 10an feed and 8an return will give.you some.room to.grow. Please excuse all of.the.misplaced periods. Im using a new phone and I'm not.sure what's going on. While you are at it put a carb cam in it. The tighter lsa and.bigger duration will add a bunch.to your combo.
Thanks, that the info I need! Yes I would also end up going with a larger cam on a 110 lsa, the cam I have now might work for a little wile.

As far as why, carbs have come a long way for one, I have old school blood and I think this setup would be insain to see in a 10 camaro! Not only look sick as hell, will run like a raped ape too! How awesome would that engine setup, big cowl, and drag wheel tire setup be! The baddest mofo ever, that's what! Lol
Old 06-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #17
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Ok it definitely would be different I'll give ya that, but for more horsepower just simply isn't true. They claim the carb manifold is a bolt on 25hp over stock injection but you need to read the fine print. The stock tune is safe and lazy compared to how the carb would be set up as well as the agressive msd box timing curve. Not to mention the numbers they claim are with headers. So add a set of headers and an agressive tune on the factory injection and you'll definitely have more than 25hp.

Sent from my Galaxy "LS3"

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:12 AM   #18
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
Ok it definitely would be different I'll give ya that, but for more horsepower just simply isn't true. They claim the carb manifold is a bolt on 25hp over stock injection but you need to read the fine print. The stock tune is safe and lazy compared to how the carb would be set up as well as the agressive msd box timing curve. Not to mention the numbers they claim are with headers. So add a set of headers and an agressive tune on the factory injection and you'll definitely have more than 25hp.

he is cammed and has headers already....
Old 06-26-2013, 01:03 AM   #19
FRSTR90

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS, 1973 Corvette
Quote:

I agree about not going with the carb, but one cannot say that a carb manifold is only X number of hp over stock. I dont think you'll be able to find a single dyno test that shows the stock manifold outperformed the carb style manifold.

I, personally, would not recommend going to a carb. The headaches you would go through to make it work would not be worth it. If you're going for nostalgia, I recommend getting rid of the car and purchasing a Gen 1. If you just want the look and possibly the added performance, I would follow litle88's advice. I'm sure you could purchase that Edelbrock manifold and the rest of the stuff from F.A.S.T. so that way you can keep your multi-port injection and reap the benefits of the looks and performance of the other style manifold.

I can say for certain it will not be cheap. With that said, I would consider something more unique if I was going to invest in a new induction.

Check out this by Inglese:
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...de=BaseKitsXFI
FRSTR90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #20
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSTR90 View Post
I can say for certain it will not be cheap. With that said, I would consider something more unique if I was going to invest in a new induction.

Check out this by Inglese:
http://www.compperformancegroupstore...de=BaseKitsXFI
Good LORD, that is freakin' awesome!!!! Too bad it's nearly $6000!!!!! That's definitely a "dream" set-up!!!
Attached Images

blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #21
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
To run carb need something like msd 6012.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:35 AM   #22
Bad70supreme

It's been proven many times that a carb setup has the ability to make more power, if I go this route the car will be a toy and not a daily like now. Carbs are simple to work on and tune, with the right parts and a good carb this setup can be very reliable! Why would I buy an old car just to put the engine and trans in that car when I already have it!!! Also the money it would cost will really not be all that bad, probably under 2k to do this work and I would also get money back selling my ls3 efi! I seem some dyno test were this type of setup made ALLOT more too end power and torque!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #23
Bad70supreme

HOZPOWA! Lmao, I like that one littl88! A bit of Dom Terreto lmao
Old 06-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #24
TECADON

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
Q jets are great carbs when setup right! I used to race with a guy that ran 10s with a q jet!
Totally agree, I do have to say though if you are going for some high horsepower strip car Q-jet not that great, but I run a Q-Jet on my 406 solid roller engine in my S10 on the street as they have great manors around town. I do switch to a older Barry Grant King Demon when I run at strip though.

Yes its quick...quicker then you think!!!
TECADON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #25
Bad70supreme

Yep a BG is a nice carb, HP style with a nasty cam! This little 376 will scream, best thing about this idea... I would still have all the comfort of a 5th gen, but with a Nasty old school attitude!
Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #26
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Quote:
Why go back to the stone age with a carb? I'd understand if this was a classic car but in a '10+? Makes no sense to me.
Me either. EFI is better than a carb in every way but more complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
It's been proven many times that a carb setup has the ability to make more power
I'd like to see some proof. I'm saying no way.

The only possible reason to ever go carb is for 1/4 mile use only. Block off all the other circuits and tune with the jets at WOT.

Carburation is an inferior method of metering fuel . Period. They may have come a long way in mitigating the inherent problems of carburation but the very basis of how they function makes them inferior, period.

Why? It relies on the velocity of air through the throttle body to pull fuel out of the venturies. And the velocity of air does not always equate to what the driver is trying to make the engine do, except at WOT and top RPM. You press on the gas pedal to go faster, you want to go faster but the first thing that happens is the throttle blades open and the vacuum dumps off to next to nil. It actually pulls less fuel than it was a second ago. You need an accelerator pump circuit at this point to keep the engine from just plain up and dying. Now the engine starts to speed up and the velocity increases. But the fuel supply is always behind the curve. That is why they get poorer economy too. You have to fatten them up because they are always behind.

Even non electronic fuel injection is superior as fuel delivery is matched to engine speed and throttle position. It is squirted into the engine regardless of the velocity of air flow.

Electronic is even better as it is capable of making many corrections based on air density, temperatures and current lean/rich conditions. Enabling peak economy and performance in all conditions.

Do what you want OP. But don't get mad when I laugh at you
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #27
Bad70supreme

Why would get mad, everyone has an opinion! I agree EFI is best for everything other then full throttle pulls. Go look around the web and you will find plenty test were the carb and intake setup made huge gains in RPM increase and power! I did not find a single dyno test were the stock EFI made more power! This is hot rodding bud, I think your just mad you didn't think of first lmao! I have a vision right now, all the old school cars are running new tech with these setups and have great success! Why not change it up a little and have something you don't see in a 5th gen...

The way I see it, why should I go back to old school rattle traps and crap suspension. Having to start from scratch, I will have everything I love in one car!
Old 04-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #28
2manytickets_osofun

Drives: 2010 camaro
found this http://www.mastmotorsports.com/news-view.php?id=49

Ive been looking into a carb looking setup but efi
thought it would be cool looks like im not the only one

as far as efi vs carb both have their benefits and draw backs
but IMO people have gotten lazy and dont even try tuning a carb....
if you cant tune a carb your not a hot rodder in my book

also op....look up http://paceperformance.com/ for any carb intake manifolds for ls3

Last edited by 2manytickets_osofun; 04-18-2014 at 08:40 AM. Reason: forgot to spell check
2manytickets_osofun is offline   Reply With Quote