Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 12-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #1
Jaystroh

Drives: Camaro RS 2LT
Lifespan of suspension parts?

Just curious what the average lifespan is on the suspension parts on our cars. Non MRC. I just rolled over 50k and the suspension has seemed to be a little rattlee/clunky since I got the car a year ago. I had some warranty work done a few months after getting the car and I had the dealer look at the suspension just to check and they said everything looked good. it was just noisier because it’s cold out and stiffer. it sounded the same way all summer so def wasn’t the cold. Lol. What would be the first components to check for wearing or making noise? For some of YOU higher mileage guys and gals what have you had to maintenance on the suspension? and if so what did you replace? Thanks.
Jaystroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Some parts are gonna wear out faster depending on how you drive, mileage, etc...Most cars I've had haven't needed anything before a 100k.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:06 PM   #3
Jaystroh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Some parts are gonna wear out faster depending on how you drive, mileage, etc...Most cars I've had haven't needed anything before a 100k.
Yea same here. Last two cars were both around a hundred before needing the usual ball joints and sway bar links/control arms etc.. just wondered for the higher mileage peeps if they have done anything specific yet. There might not be anything wore out yet and I might just be picky about the suspension noise since this car is kinda stiff in general. I’ve only put 5k on it in a year and don’t drive crazy at all. but the roads here in Michigan are trash and beat the heck out of suspensions.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaystroh View Post
Yea same here. Last two cars were both around a hundred before needing the usual ball joints and sway bar links/control arms etc.. just wondered for the higher mileage peeps if they have done anything specific yet. There might not be anything wore out yet and I might just be picky about the suspension noise since this car is kinda stiff in general. I’ve only put 5k on it in a year and don’t drive crazy at all. but the roads here in Michigan are trash and beat the heck out of suspensions.
I hear ya. Michigan roads definitely don't help with low profile tires and suspension issues lol. On my 2000 SS I've replaced most suspension components simply because it's damn near a street driven race car, and factory stuff (even if it's not worn out) simply aren't enough. For our V6's I'm not sure it's really worth it at any point unless it's worn out
Old 12-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #5
Jaystroh

Quote:
I hear ya. Michigan roads definitely don't help with low profile tires and suspension issues lol. On my 2000 SS I've replaced most suspension components simply because it's damn near a street driven race car, and factory stuff (even if it's not worn out) simply aren't enough. For our V6's I'm not sure it's really worth it at any point unless it's worn out
Yea I will just play it by ear. I got my eibach pro kit but I’m hesitant to install them cuz I know it’s gonna make it ride even rougher.. lol. the things we do for a certain look! Haha.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #6
HCI2000SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaystroh View Post
Yea I will just play it by ear. I got my eibach pro kit but I’m hesitant to install them cuz I know it’s gonna make it ride even rougher.. lol. the things we do for a certain look! Haha.
Yes very true. Don't know about you, but I didn't buy the Camaro because I thought it was the most reliable, best resale, most practical, etc...we buy it because it looks cool regardless of the trim lol, so I get it. Things like lowering, rims, tint, etc..are tempting on something that has the proper base for it
Old 12-22-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
Jaystroh

Quote:
Yes very true. Don't know about you, but I didn't buy the Camaro because I thought it was the most reliable, best resale, most practical, etc...we buy it because it looks cool regardless of the trim lol, so I get it. Things like lowering, rims, tint, etc..are tempting on something that has the proper base for it
Haha nope I’ve never had a practical vehicle! Gotta drive something cool!
Old 12-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have 30k on my car and i have modified almost every part of my suspension shocks struts swaybars endlinks etc lol no idea but not much out there for options
Old 12-23-2020, 11:43 AM   #9
Jaystroh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
i have 30k on my car and i have modified almost every part of my suspension shocks struts swaybars endlinks etc lol no idea but not much out there for options
Not to concerned with options as far as aftermarket or just randomly changing the stock setup. Just more talking about replacing oem parts with new oem as they wear. Like shocks/struts, links, control arms, ball joints etc. I had to replace almost every part of the front suspension twice in my 2010 charger in 8 years. of course the suspension on those cars were trash so... lol
Old 12-23-2020, 11:59 AM   #10
Jaystroh

Quote:
Also I do have one other question since you’ve done a lot of suspension work clearly. The front and rear shocks/struts will have to be removed when I have my eibach springs installed so my question is there shouldn’t be any additional charge for them to use new shocks and struts if I provide them correct? since they have to remove and reinstall them anyway to do the lowering springs?
Old 12-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

nope they should be able to do them at no charge at least for the front the rears dont have to be removed just loosened so may be a good time to replace them

may also want to get some adjustable swaybar endlinks while you are at it especially if you are lowering the vehicle
Old 12-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #12
Jaystroh

Quote:
nope they should be able to do them at no charge at least for the front the rears dont have to be removed just loosened so may be a good time to replace them

may also want to get some adjustable swaybar endlinks while you are at it especially if you are lowering the vehicle
Awesome thanks much. I found a complete kit front and rear for 340 new. Figured I’d just do that at the same time. What adjustable links do you recommend? And is that a must or just precautionary?
Old 12-23-2020, 12:14 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

thats not bad but you have a rs so may be cheaper than v8 stuff and spl parts makes good stuff but bmr is also a good choice
Old 12-23-2020, 12:15 PM   #14
Jaystroh

Quote:
thats not bad but you have a rs so may be cheaper than v8 stuff and spl parts makes good stuff but bmr is also a good choice
This is bmr. Not sure if the LT or SS is different. It didn’t say. they must be the same.
Attached Images