Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #29
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC View Post
Sorry, all that applies to Corvettes 7's in which the automatics idle at 650 and the manual at 600. What's your car?

Our TB's do not change the idle speed at all. That is for sure.
My car has the manual trans.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #30
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Just got mine today, ordered on Wednesday. Installed in about 10 minutes "already had the other off the car". Pulled the negative battery cable so it can go through the "relearn" phase at the next startup in 8 hrs, according to instructions. Will post results tomorrow, hopefully.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:39 PM   #31
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Just got mine today, ordered on Wednesday. Installed in about 10 minutes "already had the other off the car". Pulled the negative battery cable so it can go through the "relearn" phase at the next startup in 8 hrs, according to instructions. Will post results tomorrow, hopefully.
You also had a TM?
Good to have more than one guy coming from a TM.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #32
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
EDIT: For those reading this later... A few days after this post, my issues resolved themselves. Soler TB appears to be the real deal.

Well... Not the experience I was hoping for...

For starters, I'm used to seeing a little gray tab on the connector that plugs into the OEM TB. My 2018 ZLE M6 had it and I pulled the TB on and off at least a half dozen times. Same for my 2017 Z06.

This car didn't have the tab. So I pulled the TB off with the connector still attached and took a closer look and it was snapped off -- awesome job by whomever assembled that at the factory.

So I had to pull the connector lock mechanism out with a pair of needle nose pliers and will be needing a replacement connector. **SIGH**

So I'm grumpy. GRR.

I put the Soler TB on and DID NOT follow proper learning procedure. (Please refer to the part about being grumpy).

I found the Soler TB to be very wonky at first. There isn't a bog anymore but now there's a delay... I eased into a few normal speed stop and go's and got up to highway speeds for a bit, attempting to let the computer do some learning (again I didn't follow the learn instructions).

For a bit the delay seemed gone but then it came back again, and then gone.

There is no sign of any bogging. Only an intermittent delay.

SO. In the spirit of science. I tried various settings, manual shifting mode, auto shifting mode, touring, sport, track, traction control on and off.

The feeling I'm getting is that the delay is as follows:

In Manual Shifting mode there is no delay, with traction control off it will spin the tires from a stop with a sudden 1/3 throttle press (discovered entirely by accident).

In Auto Shifting mode
Sometimes there is a delay and sometimes there isn't.
When there is no delay everything feels great. No complaints.
When there is a delay:
- When driving it feels like the car takes longer to realize it needs to downshift.
- From a stop, it feels like the car does nothing for a 1/4 second. In fact when it happens my head thrusts forward to counter the anticipated forward momentum but there isnt any so I just look silly.
- Touring and Sport are more pronounced
- Track is less pronounced
- Traction control makes no difference.

So I will let the car learn more. I might even try starting over and following the exact procedure.

But even if it does not improve (not saying thats the case -- just worst case scenario) I think people with a M6 will be fine. I think for me, so far, this is a case of a confused A10 (hopefully temporarily confused).

PS - I don't think the connector has anything to do with it. Even though it's not locked into place and can come lose over time, I checked it and it is firmly in place (for now).

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500

Last edited by angryBits; 06-26-2019 at 05:57 PM.
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 05:54 AM   #33
Hilltopper

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2017 Z06/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post

For starters, I'm used to seeing a little gray tab on the connector that plugs into the OEM TB. My 2018 ZLE M6 had it and I pulled the TB on and off at least a half dozen times. Same for my 2017 Z06.

This car didn't have the tab. So I pulled the TB off with the connector still attached and took a closer look and it was snapped off -- awesome job by whomever assembled that at the factory.

So I had to pull the connector lock mechanism out with a pair of needle nose pliers and will be needing a replacement connector. **SIGH**

So I'm grumpy. GRR.

I put the Soler TB on and DID NOT follow proper learning procedure. (Please refer to the part about being grumpy).

I found the Soler TB to be very wonky at first. There isn't a bog anymore but now there's a delay... I eased into a few normal speed stop and go's and got up to highway speeds for a bit, attempting to let the computer do some learning (again I didn't follow the learn instructions).

For a bit the delay seemed gone but then it came back again, and then gone.

There is no sign of any bogging. Only an intermittent delay.

SO. In the spirit of science. I tried various settings, manual shifting mode, auto shifting mode, touring, sport, track, traction control on and off.

The feeling I'm getting is that the delay is as follows:

In Manual Shifting mode there is no delay, with traction control off it will spin the tires from a stop with a sudden 1/3 throttle press (discovered entirely by accident).

In Auto Shifting mode
Sometimes there is a delay and sometimes there isn't.
When there is no delay everything feels great. No complaints.
When there is a delay:
- When driving it feels like the car takes longer to realize it needs to downshift.
- From a stop, it feels like the car does nothing for a 1/4 second. In fact when it happens my head thrusts forward to counter the anticipated forward momentum but there isnt any so I just look silly.
- Touring and Sport are more pronounced
- Track is less pronounced
- Traction control makes no difference.

So I will let the car learn more. I might even try starting over and following the exact procedure.

But even if it does not improve (not saying thats the case -- just worst case scenario) I think people with a M6 will be fine. I think for me, so far, this is a case of a confused A10 (hopefully temporarily confused).

PS - I don't think the connector has anything to do with it. Even though it's not locked into place and can come lose over time, I checked it and it is firmly in place (for now).

Double check all your connections and make sure you CAI connection is sealed and tight. Pull the battery cable overnight and follow the relearn procedures. Mine is an A10 and it made a huge difference over the Mamo.

2018 ZL1, Kong Ported LT4 SC, Kooks 2" Headers and X-Pipe, NW103mm TB, ATI Underdrive Pulley 673/688, 2017 Z06/Z07, Kong Ported LT4 SC, Kooks 2" Headers and X-Pipe, NW103mm TB, IW 18% Underdrive Pulley 640/664, 2019 Mustang GT Perf Pkg. 1
Hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #34
24v
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryBits View Post
Posts like this suck for people buying and selling aftermarket parts. You just wrote a book about changing a throttle body, did not give the computer a chance to learn about your important airflow changes, and then complained about the way it felt afterwords. If you are not going to follow proper instruction then save your comments until you do so you have an educated opinion rather than a "grumpy" half assed one. People who don't know a bunch about cars and are looking to buy this mod may not after reading stuff like this.

Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC I like the work you are doing here and it is refreshing to see someone spending the time to figure out porting in the way you are. Most of it is a bit above my head, but I appreciate the difference rather than a dude with a dremel and some epoxy reporting a stock TB. This is on my short list of things to buy for my car for sure.
24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:00 AM   #35
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC

Drives: 2015 Corvette Stingray
Angrybits, give it a few miles/cycles, especially if you did not reset the ECM. You might want to secure the connector with something else, as it may feel secure but engine vibrations are significant.

Note: There are built-in delays in automatic cars that the TB can't do anything about. I.e. when decelerating substantially or coming to a stop and then accelerating, there are from .25-.75 seconds of zero torque commanded by the ECM to allow tranny to shift.
Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #36
full*throttle*therapy

Drives: '18 RH ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post
Posts like this suck for people buying and selling aftermarket parts. You just wrote a book about changing a throttle body, did not give the computer a chance to learn about your important airflow changes, and then complained about the way it felt afterwords. If you are not going to follow proper instruction then save your comments until you do so you have an educated opinion rather than a "grumpy" half assed one. People who don't know a bunch about cars and are looking to buy this mod may not after reading stuff like this.

Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC I like the work you are doing here and it is refreshing to see someone spending the time to figure out porting in the way you are. Most of it is a bit above my head, but I appreciate the difference rather than a dude with a dremel and some epoxy reporting a stock TB. This is on my short list of things to buy for my car for sure.

This is the same as the idiots on Amazon who give one star reviews because of damaged shipping, or they bought an incompatible part, or didn't follow directions. Completely useless and a distraction.

Last edited by full*throttle*therapy; 06-23-2019 at 09:55 AM.
full*throttle*therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #37
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Awesome thread over on c7. Learning a lot.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #38
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24v View Post

I was very clear about having not followed the procedure. I did not blame Soler.

Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
Old 06-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #39
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@SolerPerformanceLLC View Post
Angrybits, give it a few miles/cycles, especially if you did not reset the ECM. You might want to secure the connector with something else, as it may feel secure but engine vibrations are significant.

Note: There are built-in delays in automatic cars that the TB can't do anything about. I.e. when decelerating substantially or coming to a stop and then accelerating, there are from .25-.75 seconds of zero torque commanded by the ECM to allow tranny to shift.
Yes I believe this is just an automatic thing, not Soler. Like I said, in manual mode there is no issue. I believe more learning will take care of it.

Apologies for the drama. I was not expecting these kinds of replies. I thought I was clear about it being automatic specific and that I didn't do proper learning.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:50 AM   #40
angryBits

Quote:
Originally Posted by full*throttle*therapy View Post
This is the same as the idiots on Amazon who give one star reviews because of damaged shipping, or they bought an incompatible part, or didn't follow directions. Completely useless and a distraction.
Yes I hate those too. I apologise. I was just sharing my experience. It might be useful for someone that was lazy and did not follow procedure like me.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:24 PM   #41
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!

I'm interested! This would be my first mod, so I'm considering carefully.

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #42
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Just got back from my "learning phase".

Step 2 - Completed without any issue. Although it had a rough idle at the startup, but went away quickly.

Step 3/4 - Partially completed. Prior to the start of the relearn, I contacted Mike about this step, my concern was having my neighbors complain about the noise at 4000 RPMs. I have an AWE Track Exhaust and it is a "little" loud. Nevertheless, on my first acceleration, it would not go beyond 2500 RPMs, so I figured it was still learning. So I went back down to idle, left the car run for a few more minutes. The second acceleration went to 3000 RPMs and no further. I had no codes, so I felt comfortable the TB was relearning. Turned the car off.

Step 5 - Started the car, without any issue. Although it doesn't specifically say, I think this step is more for A10 than M6. But nevertheless I went though the gears and had no issues.

Step 6 - Started the car, without any issue. Time for a drive, to give the TB an opportunity to graduate from elementary school.

Weather - Sunshine, mid 80s, little humidity.
Car was in Touring Mode "as recommended in the instructions", Rev Match on
Speeds varied between 25 and 70 on, In-Town, country and 4 lane divided highway roads. About half the trip the Cruise Control was active.
Total of 132 miles at an average speed of 48 MPH and a 21.9 MPG

During the trip, I had about 12 occasions, in which I attempted to stale the car from a dead stop, i.e., stop light, stop sign, etc. Something I was having a problem with, for both the OEM TB and TM TB. Needless to say, I couldn't. Although I don't think I did anything different, it would be difficult for me to say it was all the TB! Additionally I had on 5 occasions to test the response of the TB at, shall we say "spirited driving". It was responsive, crisp and clean and didn't have any "bog" events that I was aware of.

BTW, the last thing I did, before I turned the car off in the garage was take it to 4000RPMs. Had no issues!

Overall, I am very pleased with the Soler TB. Mike has been very responsive to my questions and answered all my concerns quickly. Thanks Mike for the great customer service and an even better TB.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know and I will try and answer them.

I am going to continue to drive the car for the next couple of days, because I am taking it to the track on Thursday at Dominion Raceway. I will post my observations about the TB during that event.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote