Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-06-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
MichelLT1

Drives: Camaro LT1
Is Dexos2 really required in the oil for a 6.2L eng?

I read the requirements Chevy requires for oil. 0W40 synthetic oil but also must have Dexos2. The Dexos requirement really shortens the list of oil. I want to use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Oil (like it because it's made from natural gas) but the oil container doesn't show the Dexos2 trademark. I read somewhere else basically companies pay just to be able to stamp that Dexos label on their oil containers but that most oil companies meets those standards. Any input from anybody would be appreciated? PS Just ordered my LT1 and trying to bring myself up to speed before the car arrives.
MichelLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:09 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelLT1 View Post
I read the requirements Chevy requires for oil. 0W40 synthetic oil but also must have Dexos2. The Dexos requirement really shortens the list of oil. I want to use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Oil (like it because it's made from natural gas) but the oil container doesn't show the Dexos2 trademark. I read somewhere else basically companies pay just to be able to stamp that Dexos label on their oil containers but that most oil companies meets those standards. Any input from anybody would be appreciated? PS Just ordered my LT1 and trying to bring myself up to speed before the car arrives.
Here we go again
Attached Images

LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:09 PM   #3
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
There is about 8,000 threads on here regarding the same subject...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #4
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
The 2023 manual someone posted doesn't say that anymore, and only mentions DexosR or DexosR 5w-30, which is basically M1 ESP 5w-30.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:35 PM   #5
Firecaptain

Drives: '22 Summit White ZL1 A10
This one makes 8001.......
But there IS a reason for that additive....and I believe it has something to to with emissions and catalytic health / life if memory from reading all of those 8k posts serves me...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
There is about 8,000 threads on here regarding the same subject...

2020 GT350 Heritage Edition-Chassis L0350
2019 ZL1 Summit White M6
2018 Hellcat White Knuckle M6
2016 Hellcat GoMango A8
2002 Dodge Viper Viper Red
2002 Corvette Z06 Millennium Yellow
1998 Dodge Viper Viper Silver Metallic
Firecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:47 PM   #6
MichelLT1

Drives: Camaro LT1
Sorry about that. Today is my first day on Camaro6. I did do a search on Dexos and nothing came up, at least where I was at on the website. I'll try and do better moving forward.
MichelLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 01:50 PM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
I read the requirements...
I want to use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Oil.
Use it if you want.
If you ever need engine work during the warranty period, do not start the conversation with, "I know I should not have used the wrong oil, but..."
Another bad opener would be, "Here are all my service receipts showing I used the wrong oil."
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:09 PM   #8
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
That engine is not going to blow because of dexos whatever. If you use a major brand full syn there’s absolutely no harm done. Oil companies do pay for that label if their product meets the spec. At worst it may run a little dirty, its a direct injection thing that makes it run a little dirtier and the spec oil helps w added specific detergents.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:33 PM   #9
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
I used Castrol and Mobil European oils for 55k without issue. Engine runs superb with no Dexos. Then again GM looks for any possible reason to avoid honoring warranty claims so maybe it’s safer to use their spec.

Dexos2 spec has low SAPS (Sulphated Ash, Phosphorus and Sulfur) which is supposed to prolong catalytic converter life.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #10
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
I would run dexos or something that meets ilsac gf-6. That spec addresses direct injection deposits that contaminate the oil and will cause problems if not drained religiously.

Penzzoil's website says the Ultra Platinum meets ilsac gf-6 so I wouldn't worry.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #11
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Sorry about that. Today is my first day on Camaro6. I did do a search on Dexos and nothing came up, at least where I was at on the website. I'll try and do better moving forward.
Search function on this site isn't great. I have better luck using Google and adding "Camaro6" at the end of my search criteria. Always brings up relevant threads from here.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:00 PM   #12
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
This video covers engine oil specifications and testing. It’s worth a watch. Welcome to the forums.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QFU6uMYL2EM

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 05:03 PM   #13
digitalfutur

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS 3.6 A8
Quote:
I've used Penzoil Ultra Platinum since month #2 in my Camaro...getting rid of the Mobil 1 oil was the first maintenance item I had done. The '18 manual calls for Dexos 1 for all engines...current manuals call for Dexos 2. But since there is zero difference in the engine specs over the years, the Dexos 2 is just a licen$ing play by GM.

Oil changes, along with cabin and air filters, are 3 maintenance items I've never had done at the dealer. 40K miles on it now, uses no oil between the 10 month oil changes.
digitalfutur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 06:34 PM   #14
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I use Lucas full synthetic 5W30 in my ZL1 and never had any issues. A longtime friend of mine manages a parts store that stocks Lucas and other brands told me using it wouldn’t hurt the engine and as a matter of fact uses it in his C7 Corvette he got a couple of years ago. To the op, use the recommended oil in your Camaro by the manufacturer and you should have no problems/issues.

Tags
dexos2, oil, pennzoil