Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 10-10-2022, 09:56 PM   #1
SpecialPurpose_1LE

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Ran my stock SS 1LE in CAM-C this weekend...

I normally compete in FS with the stock 2SS 1LE, but since there were quite a few CAM-C entries this weekend at my local autocross I decided to sign up for CAM-C and see how the 1LE could keep up.

1. 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE - (I believe Stock) - 47.670
2. 2020 GT350R - (Wheels, Tires, Unknown Suspension mods, some added aero) - 47.968
3. 2022 Camaro SS 1LE - (Me, Stock) - 48.670
4. 2021 Mustang GT PP1 - (Wheels, Tires, Unknown Engine mods) - 50.337
5. 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack - (Wheels, Tires, Aero, Unknown suspension & engine mods) - 51.423

For reference, fastest time set in FS was 54.044 by another stock 2022 SS 1LE.

Overall, I was extremely happy and surprised with how competitive the car was stock. The course was very slalom heavy and I feel that it played to the 1LE's benefit with how well it handles weight transfer. The stock Supercar 3's performed very well all day even though it was a 93+ degree day (no spraying tires between runs). I'm excited to try and squeeze a 305 or 315 RT660 square setup under the car and see how much of a difference that'll make in CAM-C.

Last edited by SpecialPurpose_1LE; 10-12-2022 at 06:55 PM.
SpecialPurpose_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 11:14 PM   #2
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
I run CAM-C locally as well with my FS car, just because it's a very robust class of drivers and a lot of my friends are there. I'm on Falkens, which are faster for autocross use than the SC3s. I'm always a bit behind our CAM-C fast guy (Dave Whitworth, who got 6th/trophy in CAM-C at Nats this year), but I'm still beating everyone else so far. The car has chops!
Old 10-11-2022, 06:24 PM   #3
clyde

Drives: broken
I think someone can do pretty well in CAM-C with a minimally prepped 1SS 1LE against what's running these days.

OTOH, that might not be the case if there more than a few good CAM-C builds with good drivers running many National events. And that's the main thing that keeps me from tipping my toe in that water (Pros this past year and an occasional CAM Challenge for fun not withstanding).
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:41 PM   #4
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
The car is great stock, and it doesn't take that much to get it competitive for CAM, makes the car more fun to drive and more consistent too, all in all it makes the car easier to drive fast.

Roll bars, camber plates, rear toe links, GMPP rear diff tune, ZLE rear subframe bushings. These mods (+ wheels/tires) will keep the rear end behind the front end on slaloms and corner exit, allow more throttle while steering and you'll get much more even tire wear assuming you go with an aggressive alignment (3.7/2.5 camber). Cost isn't that high relative to many other potential mods. I've had a few good codrivers prove the car is competitive and I'm probably doing better than I should be for how much seat time I have. So I encourage going CAM.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:39 AM   #5
apexit53

Drives: 22 1SS 1LE Summit White
as crazy as it sounds, id rather do stu than cam lol

only reason id think of cam is to run e85, for funzies lol
#53 F Street
2022 Sponsor autocrossdigits.com
Autocrossing Videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm-...3tiMt0KOg_2Aag
Instagram: apexit_53
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
2019 D Street national champion (2019 civic Type R)

Last edited by apexit53; 10-12-2022 at 07:56 AM.
apexit53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:58 AM   #6
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
as crazy as it sounds, id rather do stu than cam lol

only reason id think of cam is to run e85, for funzies lol
Not crazy at all if you want to have a shot at a jacket and not have everyone tell you CAM-C PAX is too soft. ESP is another way to go, imo more likely to take home a jacket in ESP v STU.

There are some really, really fast STU cars and I think the size and weight of the Camaro will not allow it to be a top competitive choice for STU.

E85 won't matter much for our cars unfortunately. Maybe 30 hp...
Old 10-12-2022, 11:18 AM   #7
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Not crazy at all if you want to have a shot at a jacket and not have everyone tell you CAM-C PAX is too soft. ESP is another way to go, imo more likely to take home a jacket in ESP v STU.

There are some really, really fast STU cars and I think the size and weight of the Camaro will not allow it to be a top competitive choice for STU.

E85 won't matter much for our cars unfortunately. Maybe 30 hp...
30 is 30! ive spend more on hondas and got less power lol Plus i have a friend who sells for ignite.

meh to esp, doesnt attract me ad SP classes are slowly dying. street tires and stu looks better to me, but yeah you can do a little more in cam.

The issue that happened in camS this year kinda hinders its ability to be a jacket class :( if it were, id be more interested.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 10-12-2022, 07:00 PM   #8
SpecialPurpose_1LE

Quote:
The car is great stock, and it doesn't take that much to get it competitive for CAM, makes the car more fun to drive and more consistent too, all in all it makes the car easier to drive fast.

Roll bars, camber plates, rear toe links, GMPP rear diff tune, ZLE rear subframe bushings. These mods (+ wheels/tires) will keep the rear end behind the front end on slaloms and corner exit, allow more throttle while steering and you'll get much more even tire wear assuming you go with an aggressive alignment (3.7/2.5 camber). Cost isn't that high relative to many other potential mods. I've had a few good codrivers prove the car is competitive and I'm probably doing better than I should be for how much seat time I have. So I encourage going CAM.
I've been reading about the GMPP rear diff tune recently. What's the process for that? Do I just go to my local Chevy dealer and have them flash it in the car for $350? And is the GMPP rear diff tune still daily driveable or does it make the engagement very aggressive?
Old 10-12-2022, 07:47 PM   #9
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit53 View Post
30 is 30! ive spend more on hondas and got less power lol Plus i have a friend who sells for ignite.

meh to esp, doesnt attract me ad SP classes are slowly dying. street tires and stu looks better to me, but yeah you can do a little more in cam.

The issue that happened in camS this year kinda hinders its ability to be a jacket class :( if it were, id be more interested.

E85 is a nice option to have but I wouldn't sacrifice your warranty over it.

If you think you can do well in STU I'd say go for it, but beating those little turbo awd cars seems tough, the CAMC v STU PAX is a good indication of the handicap you're starting with. OTOH, you have a real shot at a win in ESP imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialPurpose_1LE View Post
I've been reading about the GMPP rear diff tune recently. What's the process for that? Do I just go to my local Chevy dealer and have them flash it in the car for $350? And is the GMPP rear diff tune still daily driveable or does it make the engagement very aggressive?
Yes, call the dealer and let them know they need to call GMPP to get the software and instructions on the reflash.

The autox setting is only active in track mode with all the nannies off and under ~75 mph. It is very noticeable and a little too aggressive until you get the car setup as described previously. OTOH, it is more predictable and more fun to drive regardless of setup as you can get a ton of rotation on throttle and turn-in is better.
Old 10-13-2022, 11:26 AM   #10
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
did they change the classing for the SS 1LE? It was in the AS class. If I knew it got reclassed to FS like the normal SS I might have waited longer to modify it and run CAMC.
Old 10-13-2022, 11:56 AM   #11
DaveC113

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownslowss View Post
did they change the classing for the SS 1LE? It was in the AS class. If I knew it got reclassed to FS like the normal SS I might have waited longer to modify it and run CAMC.
It went AS > BS > FS
Old 10-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #12
SpecialPurpose_1LE

Quote:
It went AS > BS > FS
Additional question for everyone in this thread.

Although I ran CAM-C this weekend like my original post said, I've been thinking for the past few days and think it might be worthwhile to compete in FS for a year (save my wallet from mods a bit compared to CAM-C LOL). I've also been heavily considering attending a few national events for the 2023 season to see where I stack up.

I know 1 sway bar front or rear is allow for FS, but would adjustable toe rods be allowed if I run them within stock specifications? I mainly want the toe rods for holding-alignment purposes rather than extended adjustment.
Old 10-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #13
apexit53

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialPurpose_1LE View Post
Additional question for everyone in this thread.

Although I ran CAM-C this weekend like my original post said, I've been thinking for the past few days and think it might be worthwhile to compete in FS for a year (save my wallet from mods a bit compared to CAM-C LOL). I've also been heavily considering attending a few national events for the 2023 season to see where I stack up.

I know 1 sway bar front or rear is allow for FS, but would adjustable toe rods be allowed if I run them within stock specifications? I mainly want the toe rods for holding-alignment purposes rather than extended adjustment.
No they would not be legal, even within spec.
#53 F Street
Autocrossing Videos
2022 Rapid Blue 1SS 1LE
Old 10-13-2022, 07:21 PM   #14
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Quote:
It went AS > BS > FS
Damn. Too late now. Full SPL parts catalog. Sway bars. Springs. And a couple other goodies. Oh well.