Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions > Gaming Lounge

Phastek Performance

Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #29
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastertypodemon View Post
Conquering the world shouldn't be turn based. It should be real time.

Like Command and Conquer.
This is the problem with gaming. RTS games SUCK. Except for maybe Starcraft and Total Annihilation. RTS is fun, but does not allow for true strategy. Turn based games might be slower, but they allow for more depth.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #30
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
i'm back at work, and i haven't gone to sleep yet...

I have a feeling it's gonna hit me like a brick wall in a few hours. stupid game.
Just...one...more...turn!

I left 5 minutes late this morning because of that.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #31
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
some people can't react like others when it comes to RTS games... im a avid follower of the C&C franchise since 95 and it wasn't until EA destroyed the gameplay and story that i thought it was the best games since Half Life/Portal...

i remember an old turn based games called Master Of Magic, it was great.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Magic
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:55 PM   #32
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Just...one...more...turn!

I left 5 minutes late this morning because of that.
Yeah, i didn't want to leave this morning. lol It's been so long since i've played.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:08 PM   #33
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I'm going to download the demo version and see how I like it.

*edit*
Not going to download it today ... demo is 4.4 gigs!
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #34
aldaron327
Onward and Upward.

Drives: '13 Equinox LTZ AWD,'09 Silverado
Send a message via MSN to aldaron327 Send a message via Yahoo to aldaron327
I think it was Civ IV that killed it for me. I attacked with paratroopers packing machine guns and they got taken out by one guy with a spear. True Story. I actually immediately quit the game, uninstalled it, and threw it away. Hopefully CIV V is a little more realistic. Please let me know as I LOVED CIV II and III.
MODS: CAI by CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, DBA 5000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Front), Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Braided Brake Lines, DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Rear), Barton Short-Throw Shifter, UM Comp Extractor Hood & Gen I Spoiler, custom paint
aldaron327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #35
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaron327 View Post
I think it was Civ IV that killed it for me. I attacked with paratroopers packing machine guns and they got taken out by one guy with a spear. True Story. I actually immediately quit the game, uninstalled it, and threw it away. Hopefully CIV V is a little more realistic. Please let me know as I LOVED CIV II and III.
Thats not as bad as Civ II ToT. I had a battleship destroyed by a warrior once. I mean, at least spearmen vs paratroops could win if their extremely skilled and lucky. But how the heck is a guy with a stick gonna sink a battleship?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 09-22-2010, 03:08 PM   #36
aldaron327
Onward and Upward.

Drives: '13 Equinox LTZ AWD,'09 Silverado
Send a message via MSN to aldaron327 Send a message via Yahoo to aldaron327
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Thats not as bad as Civ II ToT. I had a battleship destroyed by a warrior once. I mean, at least spearmen vs paratroops could win if their extremely skilled and lucky. But how the heck is a guy with a stick gonna sink a battleship?
Yeah, no kidding.. I think they should write the code for the game in such a way that if a tank goes up against an archer or similar fight, the battle ends immediately and the tank wins.
MODS: CAI by CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, DBA 5000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Front), Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Braided Brake Lines, DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Rear), Barton Short-Throw Shifter, UM Comp Extractor Hood & Gen I Spoiler, custom paint
aldaron327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #37
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Chuck Norris could sink a ship with his bare hands!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #38
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Oh, and if you don't have the game yet...but are considering it, here's the manual to read. Unlike most games, Sid Meier games actually come with manuals, and they are usually kind of thick.

http://www.2kgames.com/manual/civ5/

230 pages thick, to be exact.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #39
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaron327 View Post
Yeah, no kidding.. I think they should write the code for the game in such a way that if a tank goes up against an archer or similar fight, the battle ends immediately and the tank wins.
They would but the core name of the game that lets them get away with sloppy code in places. They only make it good enough knowing it will still sell well.

Take Tom Clancy games.

ranbow6 was a fun but flawed AI code.

As your own men would shoot you in the back, there was no line of sight code.

Can see similar in other game where AI guys are shooting/aiming at the floor, cealing or walls, as their line of sight code doesn't see a said object, they only know where the target is.

Hate sloopy code.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #40
Captain Vlad

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russo View Post
some people can't react like others when it comes to RTS games...
And some people, like me, just find them downright tedious unless they're very, very well done. Starcraft impressed the hell out of me, but the C&C series tends to grab me for like three scenarios then I lose interest.

There are exceptions of course. Homeworld was one of the best games I have ever played, and as I already said, Starcraft rocked.

Quote:
i remember an old turn based games called Master Of Magic, it was great.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Magic
I played that damned game until images of those little tileset battles were burned into my retinas. I used to name all my heroes after my buddies and delay the end of the game just so I could case some of those big map-wide spells that'd just ruin your opponents day.

The original Masters of Orion got similar playtime from me. Turn-based wargames are a lot of fun for me as well. I've logged a lot of hours on Steel Panthers and other such.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #41
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
*Ok, that was a bit of an understatement. The original Red Alert is the best strategy game ever. Unfortunately, I can't get it to run on Vista, not even in compatability mode. I miss XP :(
Add Civ IV to that list ... I hate Vista

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 09-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #42
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Quote:
Add Civ IV to that list ... I hate Vista
hehehehe dual boot, I know what ya said but if you don't listen to what folks say, you can make both OS share 90% of the file system, don't have to have 2 of everything.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote