Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-18-2022, 07:45 AM   #1
Alpha11

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Fixes for ice mode!?

All right let's make this the final thread for ice mode. This shit's ridiculous. Everybody share what you've done to help correct ice mode. Or if anybody knows exactly what causing it please let me know so I can avoid it.

What is ice mode: I don't know exactly what's happening but my understanding is the car is fearing that you are going to be locking up the brakes in a low traction scenario specifically after hard acceleration or heavy braking so the ABS module basically limits your brake pressure. You know you've hit ice road because you put your foot on the brake and it's firm as hell with no travel then the car is not stopping.. this seems to be very prevalent at autocross specifically.

Why do I care: just read somebody totaled a Z28 due to ice mode, I ended up in a fence one time due to ice mode, and just soared of course in my 1le at autocross thanks to it. Bit ice mode 3+ times in one day co driving. I want to go to a track day this year but one of my local tracks would have me doing 140mph down the straightaway into a hard corner and I don't feel like soaring off course at 100 plus
Alpha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 07:46 AM   #2
Alpha11

I guess I'll start. My last event was specifically bad. I am currently on unknown fluid pads and rotors. A buddy and I were co-driving my car and it was specifically hot that day so I don't know if old fluid and hot fluid was helping to contribute to it. Considering changing fluids. My end goal is just get the shit deleted from the tune
Old 05-18-2022, 03:01 PM   #3
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
I’d hit ice mode with ST43 pads. Had to change my braking style to avoid it. You can also just lift off the pedal as soon as you feel it and it’ll disengage.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:02 PM   #4
Bigdumogre

It’s usually drivers error if you crash your car. If it locks pressure then you lift and repress.
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:28 PM   #5
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
Can it be tuned out?
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:31 PM   #6
Alpha11

Alright gentlemen, the whole "pump the brakes" is bullshit And you know it. This system is silly and should turn off with the other day features in comp mode and we all know it. This is just shitty work on gms part.
Here's a TikTok (save your breathe) of me pumping the brakes 3 TIMES trying to stop the car before going off course.
I'm not new to this. It's my 13th autocross in my 1LE and it's normally not this bad. Pumping the brakes usually does fix it but it's a shitty solution. Especially when it happened three different runs. Also, I should not have to drive around it. I need to work on my braking for sure but this shouldn't be like this.
I plan to change fluids and pads. My brakes were not doing well at my last event in the heat. It's the first time I've had issues with pads and fluids so maybe there's a correlation there.
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTdGKBb1q/?k=1
Old 05-19-2022, 06:13 AM   #7
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

While I agree with you, there’s nothing we can really do - and GM doesn’t care. GM’s stability control, ABS, etc are notoriously too intrusive. If anyone has track experience, “track mode” destroys brakes. At the end of the day, they’ve taken the easy route of avoiding lawsuits.

Does it suck we need to drive around it? Yea. Are they going to do anything for a dead platform? No.
Old 05-19-2022, 11:19 PM   #8
Zombie killer
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS L99
My take on ice mode. I have been autocrossing my 2013 Camaro SS since 2014. Once I started upgrading to sticky tires and better brake pads, I developed ice mode off and on for the next year at least every other event. I can tell you what I found out. I was a two foot driver and using both feet caused me to transition between gas and brake pedal actions too quick. Meaning, I would get off the gas too hot and then stab the brake pedal a little too hard. I was not smooth. Pressing the brake pedal firmly and modulating the pressure ended my ice mode as I was no longer getting on the binders too hard. Another smaller thing I noticed is that if the course is bumpy or if you get the car “light” right before you apply the brake , that is a no no too. Don’t top a crest on course and then need to get hard on the binders before the car can settle in. You should just brake early and just give up speed at that element on course. Now on the road courses, I never experienced ice mode and I brake pretty hard on some courses. I sometimes activate the ABS pretty good and by the 3rd ABS tire chirp or so I am usually getting off the brake and rolling thru the turn.

I changed my tire diameter to 19” and also went square setup on tires. I hear depending on diameter differences when you change tires it could effect ice mode but I haven’t seen that in mine. However I have seen many of my friends ice mode their Corvette because they tried to square up their tires.

Hope this helps but we all have experienced ice mode if you drive the Camaro like it should be driven. You just learn to adapt from GMs misguided programming.
Old 05-30-2022, 10:15 PM   #9
Alpha11

This isn't over, ordering rbf660 fluid. Pretty sure I cooked my fluid last event and not sure if it's ever been changed. Starting there and following up. I'll be talking about it on my tiktok @ellie_the_1Le flame me if you want, don't care. My car is at autocross enough that if a fluid change helps then I'll know. I'm documentinh in both places. Plus maybe this will help any new comers to the chassis.
I know y'all are saying pumping the brakes is a fix, it usually is but last event it did nothing until I was off course at 30mph. I have a video of me pumping the brakes 3 times during the incident too. We need to find a proper work around. https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTd7VW3Tt/?k=1 watch my right leg lift to hit the brakes then lift several times after I notice I'm in ice mode
Old 05-30-2022, 10:42 PM   #10
SaReNi

Drives: 2012 SS
does the car actually say "ice mode" on the info screen or is this something that is only experienced when the car does it.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:33 AM   #11
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

I’m not sure the fluid has anything to do with it, but it’s certainly good idea to change fluid regularly. I just switched to RBF600 from RL600 myself. If it’s heat/boiled fluid, you won’t go into ice mode; rather, you’ll have a limp pedal that goes to the floor. That’s always fun at triple digits. I’ll be going with SRF if it happens to me again.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:19 PM   #12
Alpha11

No... It doesn't say ice mode. As I described you just don't get brake pressure.
As for the fluid, I don't know why it would matter either but I hit ice mode 3 of 5 runs at my last event so it's kind of a hinderance and I want to see what I can learn about it. Also, fluid likely never been changed and we found brake pressure was fading last event in the newly found hit summer days so needs done anyway.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:03 AM   #13
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

If you’re running original brake fluid and you’ve never had issues other than Ice mode, I’m thinking your technique and driving style may be more to blame than the system intrusion. Don’t take this as an insult, either.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:33 PM   #14
Alpha11

Again, just a reminder, I am not saying you guys are wrong about driver mod being needed. Never doubted that for a minute. Also I'm aware we can all learn to drive through it seems kind of silly though. Especially for people who want to autocross where quick transitions from break to throttle are common throughout the entire course. Anyway, I'm going to continue researching this to see what I can find out if y'all are interested that's fine but I don't know why you guys are blowing up comments saying it's not worth looking into lol.
Anyway, everybody has been saying you can't tune it out without explaing why... So I took it upon myself to figure out why we couldn't tune it out. I called my tuner and they are familiar with the system and in our discussion we believe that this is probably done by the ABS module computer. Couple of concerns here. First of all he doesn't know if you can even get into that for one. For two obviously he has never tuned this out before so we're not really sure what that would even look like if we did. And for three, I would be a little concerned with insurance finding out you've modified this and if you ever do get in a rack on the street they might use this against you. Not that I am trying to totally bypass abs, quite the opposite. I still want abs to function I just don't want ice mode specifically. If I become desperate I may talk to some technicians and see if they have access to that computer system with a tool of some sort and I might ask them to poke around to see if there's anything we can find and maybe adjust to effectively disable ice mode. But I don't think I'm at that point yet. I've got some mechanic friends so maybe I'll look at this in a little while but not yet. I'm also probably going to try to run my next autocross without ABS and see where I get not sure what this is going to look like if I pull that fuse but I'll find out and I'll report here in case anybody left is curious

Tags
hard pedal, ice, ice mode, no brakes, won't stop