Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-16-2021, 08:34 PM   #1
M0dnar
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Corvette 3LT with Z51
Hybrid Alignment Setup

I plan on tracking my ZLE 6-10 times a year, but otherwise it's used as just a weekend canyon carver. Does anyone have a good hybrid suspension? My last C7 I tried running track suspension for everything, but I went through a set of PS4S in like 5,000 miles.

I enjoy motorcycle racing more so it's not worth it for me to go do the recommended manual track alignment when I just want to run it for a few days a year on the track, but I also drive it aggressively enough I don't want to settle for street suspension when canyon carving.

Anyone have any setups for a similar situation?
M0dnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:59 PM   #2
RamAir02
Shadow Gray '19 ZLE M6

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE M6
A lot of us (myself included) just run the track alignment year round and deal with any excessive tire wear. I don't find it to be too bad, but I also only put a few thousand miles on the car annually.

It sounds to me like you are a candidate for track alignment year round. If I'm understanding you correctly, you want the track alignment on the track as well as when you're carving canyons.

You could do a less aggressive alignment as dual purpose street/track, but you won't be optimized for track and you'll get worse tire wear on the street than the OE alignment. Jack of all trades, master of none.
PPF | Paint Correction | ZL1 Addons Rock Guards | ZL1 Addons Lift Pads | ZL1 Addons Feather Lite Tow Hook | JWM Smoked Sidemarkers | Wildhammer Smoked Rear Reflectors | JWM License Plate LEDs | RotoFab CAI | ADM IC Reservoir v2 | BC Forged RZ05 | SPL Toe Arms | BW Brake Deflectors | CMS Roll Bar | Schroth Profi II ASM Harnesses
Sold: '99 Trans Am (bolt-ons & cam) | '00 WS6 (bolt-ons, heads, cam, 12 bolt) | '05 CTS-V (bolt-ons, short throw) | '10 SS/RS M6 (short throw, CAI, coilovers, LTs, catback, JRE tune) | '01 WS6

YouTube
RamAir02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 09:57 PM   #3
20Bluezl1

Drives: 2020 Zl1 A10 Riverside Blue
I have a zl1 and run 3 front 2.2 back year around. But It's not my daily and don't drive to much in the street in the summer.
20Bluezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:10 PM   #4
ponyboy96

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10, 2018 F250 Diesel
I keep mine in street alignment. Had the race shop align it for more even tire wear. I’ll give up a few tenths on the track for better tire wear. If I was doing time trials, then I would have the race alignment; otherwise, it’s just bragging rights at this point. I don’t need to squeeze every tenth right now. I’d much rather be able to use my tires for 6-8 track days vs 2-4 for a few tenths. Not to mention I drive the car on the street and don’t want to burn through my street tires also.
ponyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
M0dnar
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAir02 View Post
It sounds to me like you are a candidate for track alignment year round. If I'm understanding you correctly, you want the track alignment on the track as well as when you're carving canyons.
Yes, I would like to have a more track oriented alignment for carving canyons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy96 View Post
I keep mine in street alignment. Had the race shop align it for more even tire wear. I’ll give up a few tenths on the track for better tire wear. If I was doing time trials, then I would have the race alignment; otherwise, it’s just bragging rights at this point. I don’t need to squeeze every tenth right now. I’d much rather be able to use my tires for 6-8 track days vs 2-4 for a few tenths. Not to mention I drive the car on the street and don’t want to burn through my street tires also.
That's mostly my thoughts as well. I'm not racing the ZLE and I'm not trying to get competitive. My car track days are just for fun. I was just hoping there was a "good enough" setup that gave you a little bit better turn in than stock, but also didn't shred tires. I guess since my current tires are already close to gone I'll just switch it to track alignment and see how badly it does eat what's left of my tires.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #6
M0dnar
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Bluezl1 View Post
I have a zl1 and run 3 front 2.2 back year around. But It's not my daily and don't drive to much in the street in the summer.
I assume that's -3 front and -2.2 rear?
Old 11-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #7
utekineir

Drives: zle
has anyone checked the actual change in front toe from just rotating the camber plates on zle?
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 11:15 AM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy96 View Post
I’d much rather be able to use my tires for 6-8 track days vs 2-4 for a few tenths. Not to mention I drive the car on the street and don’t want to burn through my street tires also.
OP will likely cord the outside of the front tires prematurely with a street alignment given that the only street driving that they plan to do is to/from the track and canyons. Those tires can be dismounted and flipped on the wheels if this looks like it is starting to happen but the car will be extremely dangerous to drive if it happens to rain due to the rain grooves being moved to the wrong side.

Max camber or maybe half of a degree away from max seems like the best alignment for OP to me.
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 01:08 PM   #9
M0dnar
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
OP will likely cord the outside of the front tires prematurely with a street alignment given that the only street driving that they plan to do is to/from the track and canyons. Those tires can be dismounted and flipped on the wheels if this looks like it is starting to happen but the car will be extremely dangerous to drive if it happens to rain due to the rain grooves being moved to the wrong side.

Max camber or maybe half of a degree away from max seems like the best alignment for OP to me.
I've unfortunately been spoiled by my previous race shop where I just describe what I'm experiencing and tell them what I need and they do it all for me. Do you have some specific numbers? The new race shop I plan on going to doesn't offer suggestions, but they'll set the alignment to whatever specs you provide them.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:40 PM   #10
cdrptrks

The max possible camber using stock adjustment mechanisms for the SS 1LE that I have is less than what the ZLE is capable of but the ZLE tires are 100 treadwear and I have heard that they like more camber than the 220 treadwear SS 1LE tires so I don't have exact numbers but you can search the forums for what others have used. I would say max that it is physically capable of will probably give you the best track/canyon performance, maybe half of a degree less if you want the alignment to be more reasonable on the street.

Also I forgot to mention that the stock ZLE tires are sketchy in the rain even when they are mounted correctly.
Old 11-17-2021, 03:45 PM   #11
cdrptrks

The top row is GM's track alignment recommendation for the ZL1 1LE but it is less than the max possible amount of camber. Several people on here also recommend 0 front toe instead of 0.1 for improved tire wear.

From page 21 here: https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...supplement.pdf
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #12
cdrptrks

The ZLE has a camber plate at the top of the front strut towers that you can rotate to the track position to allow for more negative camber in addition to loosening the two knuckle nuts shown in the video below and hammering the bolts halfway out to release the splines then pushing in on the top of the brake rotor and tightening those two nuts back up. But you don't want to move the top camber plate after you get an alignment because switching it between street an track positions also changes the front toe.

https://youtu.be/ZlZYmjIS_ZQ

Last edited by cdrptrks; 11-18-2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #13
M0dnar
Account Suspended

Thanks for the suggestions. It'll serve as a starting point for what's left of my current tires. I'll try something slightly less aggressive than what's in the manual and see if the inside edge of what's left of my current tires disintegrate much quicker than the mid.
Old 11-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #14
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by utekineir View Post
has anyone checked the actual change in front toe from just rotating the camber plates on zle?
I forget exactly how much but it's WAY too much.

You're likely better off running zero toe and more camber rather than trying to change it as it'll be difficult to get toe back to 0.

I have fairly even wear with track alignment camber and zero toe f/r.

Next year I'm getting camber plates and rear toe rods to run 3.2/2.2 f/r. If you're not doing a lot of highway miles and tend to corner more aggressively I think it'll be fine.