Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-01-2023, 07:28 AM   #1
Annihilate

Drives: 2024 2SS Camaro, 1988 IROC Z
Send a message via Skype™ to Annihilate
Potential to get a 2024 ZL1, downsides to DD?

Hey there,

Today I may have a chance to guarantee a ZL1, this wasn't my initial plan, but we shall see what fate brings.

My question is about average costs and potential cons of owning this as a 3 season DD.

A few things, my experience with performance vehicles ends with a C5 Corvette. My IROC has never seen over 220HP.

I wont be driving every day, maybe 3-4 days a week for less than 100 miles.

I'd like to be able to go cross country (what kind of MPG are yall seeing on a good day?)

What are the insurance costs like?

Any other cons you can think of? I've got about 7 hours to make my final decision.

Just want an honest view of this car as it is much more (in many ways) than the 2SS I had originally set my mind to.

Thanks in advance!

Annihilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:07 AM   #2
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
IMO - If you buy this car to keep as a car your collecting for a big pay off later. Keep it low miles, no mods etc. Then you are not worried about 3 seasons of driving as you would only drive it when weather and roads are perfect! As for a DD, that's my other car regardless. I know 3 season driving big time, since I live in Columbus Ohio. My Zl1 will not go out of the garage in any kind of weather, not even wet roads from rain the night before. I drop all but comprehensive insurance on it from October 1st until March 1st. But, I've also heavily modified my car, but kept all the stock parts so she can go back to almost the exact way she was delivered to me. Having said that, if you not buying the car to keep and have a big pay day later, and your getting a DD they why wait for a 2024, there are still plenty of 2023 you ca grab etc. I'm not sure the 2024's have much of a difference in any major upgrade over the 2023's? Just food for thought !
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 08:28 AM   #3
Annihilate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2023_ZL1-AUTO View Post
IMO - If you buy this car to keep as a car your collecting for a big pay off later. Keep it low miles, no mods etc. Then you are not worried about 3 seasons of driving as you would only drive it when weather and roads are perfect! As for a DD, that's my other car regardless. I know 3 season driving big time, since I live in Columbus Ohio. My Zl1 will not go out of the garage in any kind of weather, not even wet roads from rain the night before. I drop all but comprehensive insurance on it from October 1st until March 1st. But, I've also heavily modified my car, but kept all the stock parts so she can go back to almost the exact way she was delivered to me. Having said that, if you not buying the car to keep and have a big pay day later, and your getting a DD they why wait for a 2024, there are still plenty of 2023 you ca grab etc. I'm not sure the 2024's have much of a difference in any major upgrade over the 2023's? Just food for thought !

Well originally, I wanted the last year of the Camaro as a commemorative thing as my dad and I have been Camaro guys for our whole life, I'm pretty young still, just under 30, and wanted to jump on it.
Plus I wanted to build my own the way I wanted.

It just so happened my dealership received an allocation for a ZL1 and noted that the 2SS/1SS trim is on constraint.

So it's more of a seizing the opportunity kind of deal.

I am a bit intimidated by the power, I must say lol.

Old 08-01-2023, 08:36 AM   #4
split_bumper

Drives: 24 ZL1, 6.2L Denali, 73 SplitBumper
In my opinion. Its not everyday you see someone daily drive a ZL1. I currently do not have one but have an order in at multiple dealers trying to secure one. At the end of the day it is your car, and you get to do what you want with it. I would say since it is the last year of the ICE, and a supercharged ZL1 I would go for the ZL1 vs the SS, if you can afford the increased price. Is the SS going to get better mileage, yes, is it going to better suite a daily driver, yes. The suspension I would think is softer on the SS, if you don't get the magnetic ride that's the same as ZL1. All interior items that are a big upgrade on SS come standard on the ZL1. If you go the ZL1 route, you will never have the words of "I wish i got the ZL1." You can always trade down to an SS, but good luck finding a ZL1 out there after this year is done, that you won't be paying over what you would have right from the dealer. Again, this is just my opinion.
split_bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:04 AM   #5
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I daily my ZL1

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:06 AM   #6
sactownbwoy

Drives: '22 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10
The ZL1 can be a great daily driver, it has the magnetic ride control suspension which I've read is good. I would say change the tires to something with a bit higher treadwear than the stock tires. The A10 can get good gas mileage cruising on the highway.

I daily a ZL1 1LE, it's suspension is more harsh but it doesn't bother me, I'm 44 and a Marine, so I've been in vehicles that have harsh rides and been able to sleep.

I've owned my car for about 1.5 years, bought brand new in Feb of '22 and have put 36k miles on it. I regurarly put 800+ miles in a weekend picking up my kids from my ex, car shows, cars and coffees, visiting my parents, and just driving. On trips where I'm crusing on the highway I average around 19-20 mpg and over the life of the car I am sitting at 17 mpg (I track every gas fill-up).

I have no intentions of keeping the car for a perceived payout later. I intend to drive it until I physically can't anymore and then I'll hand it down to my son.
sactownbwoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:19 AM   #7
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
If you're under 30, you may want to at least contact your insurance company to see what your cost will be. Hard to estimate insurance due to the numerous factors that affect it.

If you're going to daily it, I'd swap to a better street tire like the PS4S. The supercar tires aren't good in wet or colder weather.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:21 AM   #8
IneedAZ

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 & 2021 BMW M340i x Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post

If you're going to daily it, I'd swap to a better street tire like the PS4S. The supercar tires aren't good in wet or colder weather.
X2

Sold 1967 Camaro Pro Street. Ran 10's mild BB on NOS.

2017 HyperBlue ZL1 A10 ** Born 3/17/17**Delivered 4/08/17
2020 Build: Mag2650, BTR Stage2, NW103, BG, 14% lower, 90mm upper, ARH 2" Long system w/no cats, SW Legend mufflers. **807hp/762tq on 93 gas** and **848hp/792tq on e47**

Sold 2018 (Go Mango) Dodge Charger Daytona 392 Daily Driver

Daily Driver 2021 BMW M340i Xdrive
IneedAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:40 AM   #9
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Only real downside is the substantial MSRP increase for the 2024 ZL1. The ZL1, Camaro in general, is a very reliable platform. I DD mine since purchasing it in 2018. To attest to the DD capable of a stock ZL1 that only had its routine maintenance done, there was a 2017 ZL1 that went over 220k miles before the owner traded it in for something else. They had 0 issues with the car.

The first thing you should do is swap out the stock tires as they are horrible in the rain and cold as they are, hands down, the best track tire that can still be driven on the street.

Swap them out for something suitable for your region but Pilot Sport 4S are the go to street tire but I've had no issues with the Pirelli P Zero tires and am on my 2nd set.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 09:46 AM   #10
Annihilate

Fate has decided. He got an allocation for a 2SS, and I told myself if it was available I'd go through with my original order.

It was a fun thought to toy with for a little while. I'm sure my wallet will thank me, gonna put that money towards some PPF and other cosmetics me thinks.

Thanks to everyone for helping me with this genuine inquiry, hopefully I don't regret this!

Hope someone here gets that allocation for the ZL1!

Old 08-01-2023, 10:17 AM   #11
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilate View Post
Well originally, I wanted the last year of the Camaro as a commemorative thing as my dad and I have been Camaro guys for our whole life, I'm pretty young still, just under 30, and wanted to jump on it.
Plus I wanted to build my own the way I wanted.

It just so happened my dealership received an allocation for a ZL1 and noted that the 2SS/1SS trim is on constraint.

So it's more of a seizing the opportunity kind of deal.

I am a bit intimidated by the power, I must say lol.
It won't be the last year of production unless you consider 2002 to be the last year also.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:35 AM   #12
split_bumper

Drives: 24 ZL1, 6.2L Denali, 73 SplitBumper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
It won't be the last year of production unless you consider 2002 to be the last year also.

I'm speculating good odds of it being the last year of the ICE Camaro. You are correct, there will be another Camaro down the road, powered by some electrons lol
split_bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:42 AM   #13
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by split_bumper View Post
I'm speculating good odds of it being the last year of the ICE Camaro. You are correct, there will be another Camaro down the road, powered by some electrons lol
You'd be mistaken if you think ICE is going away overnight. It will still be here for decades.
Z OH 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 10:54 AM   #14
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
It's fine as a daily though the OEM SC3's can get scary depending on conditions. But with some Conti ECS or Mich PS4's, just another day at the beach. The power isn't overwhelming and with the nannies on it's downright tame with no surprises. Comfort is no different than any other 6th gen. I daily mine whenever it's not raining, but the times I get caught in the rain there's no issues.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote