Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 PM   #1
kinpin
618 RWHP

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Need advice please .

I was driving my new 2014 ZL1 today and some (A hole ) left a razor blade knife in the road. Of course I did not see it and ran over it. I ended up with a broken razor blade embedded about 3/4 of an inch in my rear tire. I had to pull it out because it was going in deeper as I was driving on it to my local dealer. To my surprise after pulling it out the tire was holding air and when I got to my dealer they pulled off the tire and checked it - it was not leaking. I told them to order me a new tire anyway because I don't want to take a chance of it starting to leak a week from now or when I am driving on a track. This whole situation got me thinking about a few things.

First I only have 2,700 miles on my car should I replace both back tires? Or just the one? I am also wondering is there any options out there of how to get a ZL1 on a flat bed truck with out wrecking the front splitter or the rims? I have seen this tow ring that sticks out of the front lower grill but I think it looks terrible.
kinpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
JackalopeZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I would compare outside diameter old versus new. Maybe even circumstances and tread depths. That should give you a much better idea as to if there is too much wear . I guess it really depends on how much you have been getting on it as far as tread depth left. A second tire is cheaper and easier than premature wear on a limited slip diff.. All that said I bet you would be fine, but I would want measurements to help make my mind up.. In the end if I felt funny about it, just to know all is cool I would replace both so I would not have to wonder about it again.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
If you have the cash then buy both. They are less than $300 apiece on Tire Rack. You can get all for mounted at Discount for a little more than a grand.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:47 AM   #4
Shakeandbake

Drives: 2014 Black ZL1
Mine was flat bedded out to the track so that easily possible we solved the clearance issue with a few 2 by 4s. Drove on fine both ways. Funny, I had my rear right tire go flat at 800 miles due to some piece shrapnel embedding into the sidewall.
1960 Ford thunderbird 390 FE
2014 Camaro ZL1
Shakeandbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
The stock tires seem to pick up anything that can puncture a tire like a magnet. I picked up a nail in my rear driver side within a few months of buying it. In your case I would have the tire tested to see if it actually has a leak. If it does have a leak I would have it patched unless you plan on tracking it. There is a spare tire in the trunk in case you get a real flat on the road so you don't get stranded.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #6
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
The stock tires seem to pick up anything that can puncture a tire like a magnet. I picked up a nail in my rear driver side within a few months of buying it. In your case I would have the tire tested to see if it actually has a leak. If it does have a leak I would have it patched unless you plan on tracking it. There is a spare tire in the trunk in case you get a real flat on the road so you don't get stranded.
You got a spare tire?
Old 08-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
vatechguy3

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
I have a battery where the spare tire used to be.
Just fyi.

Tony

2001 Z28 M6
!cags, !air, FTP 85mm Lid, Z06 85mm MAF, P&P TB
!4x4, Strano Springs, Strano Sways, Koni 4/4s, Watts Link
ARH LTs, ARH catted Y, SLP catback with Dual/Dual Muffler, SLP CME and Valance
OE Wheels Machined Face C5 DDs, 18x10.5s, with 295/35-18s on all 4 corners!
352rwhp and 366rwtq
vatechguy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinpin View Post
I am also wondering is there any options out there of how to get a ZL1 on a flat bed truck with out wrecking the front splitter or the rims? I have seen this tow ring that sticks out of the front lower grill but I think it looks terrible.

I love the way mine looks. It's required for those that take their cars to the track. You'll hate the look of it until you are stuck and need to get pulled out of the dirt on a public highway! I have been in that scenario before, prior to installing a tow hook I was forced to watch the tow truck operator attach hooks to the underside. The whole time I'm hoping that he didn't take out the MR sensor while attaching the hook! He didn't but others have. One possible option is to attach a strap to your bumper, since you want to keep your ZL1 stock and not looking"terrible".
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1

Yep, Nails got my right rear and had a track day that Monday, That was a quick 300 $ . You don't realize how big the tire is until you see it off the car.
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:33 AM   #10
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Not the same issue.

Oil? At the front grill, or coolant?

And jfyi, it is more appropriate to start your own thread, rather than reviving an 8 year old thread, particularly when the matter is totally unrelated to the op.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:21 AM   #11
Omar122898

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS l99
I am new on here my bad
Omar122898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:31 AM   #12
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinpin View Post
I was driving my new 2014 ZL1 today and some (A hole ) left a razor blade knife in the road. Of course I did not see it and ran over it. I ended up with a broken razor blade embedded about 3/4 of an inch in my rear tire. I had to pull it out because it was going in deeper as I was driving on it to my local dealer. To my surprise after pulling it out the tire was holding air and when I got to my dealer they pulled off the tire and checked it - it was not leaking. I told them to order me a new tire anyway because I don't want to take a chance of it starting to leak a week from now or when I am driving on a track. This whole situation got me thinking about a few things.

First I only have 2,700 miles on my car should I replace both back tires? Or just the one? I am also wondering is there any options out there of how to get a ZL1 on a flat bed truck with out wrecking the front splitter or the rims? I have seen this tow ring that sticks out of the front lower grill but I think it looks terrible.
Just replace the damaged tire with the same type (I normally patch punctures like nails, but in your case you wanted peace of mind so its quite alright to replace the tire) As far as loading options, a lot of owners have the tow hook installed up front.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:21 AM   #13
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Meh.... it happens.

Just do a epic burnout and give the rear tires a proper send off. Then grab a new set and move on. Gotta pay to play with these cars.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 01:07 PM   #14
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Meh.... it happens.

Just do a epic burnout and give the rear tires a proper send off. Then grab a new set and move on. Gotta pay to play with these cars.

Yep I send old rears and clutch's to the graveyard with the same ceremony..
Attached Images

ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote