Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-02-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
Thescreenking

Drives: White 2017 ZL1
Lithium car batteries

Does anyone know anything about Lithium car batteries?
Lithium vs AGM and where to get them... i have been searching for one but they seem to be hard to find. And, no one seems to know if they will work on a 2017 Camaro ZL1... thanks in advance
Thescreenking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
They will work and you can buy them from here: https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com/

Also depending on how big of a battery you want you could use one from Limitless Lithium, I used them in my Tahoe when I was doing a very large audio build.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 04:10 AM   #3
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
I do not know about cars, but I did get one for my MC off Ebay. I could of swore it was an empty plastic box wit 2 terminals on it. So far, it has worked well.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:24 AM   #4
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
I've used both. Lithium don't like the cold. I killed ballistic 8-cell (LiFe type) when I forgot to leave it on trickle charger. Some new model have shut off that prevent cell damage.

I've used AGM type Oddyssey batteries (PC680 and PC545) for better part of 10+ years in various race cars. If you plan on letting car sit for week or more, trickle charger is needed, esp on newer cars that just keep sucking power even w car off.

Would I do it on daily - probably not.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:14 AM   #5
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
I've used both. Lithium don't like the cold. I killed ballistic 8-cell (LiFe type) when I forgot to leave it on trickle charger. Some new model have shut off that prevent cell damage.

I've used AGM type Oddyssey batteries (PC680 and PC545) for better part of 10+ years in various race cars. If you plan on letting car sit for week or more, trickle charger is needed, esp on newer cars that just keep sucking power even w car off.

Would I do it on daily - probably not.
I dailyed my Tahoe for two years on nothing but lithium when I had it and never put a charger on it. After sitting for more than a week or was still sitting at 13.2. Maybe what you used were older batteries or really small or something? Anyway I wouldn't hesitate to daily it and plan on buying one soon just to save 40 pounds from the heavy AGM.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #6
driven2exceSS

Drives: 2016 2SS BLK A8 Vert
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com

Highly recommend them!!! I've had good luck with my dealings with them with multiple Lithium batteries... I've read some literature that the Lithium battery can hold a charge for like a year with no parasitic drain. If you are looking for OEM size, the cold weather may not be as much of a issue IDK (I take mine out and put it on a maintainer through winter). They offer a ReStart Technology. With the ReStart Technology the battery goes into sleep mode when the amperage drops to a certain point to allow enough reserve to ("jump") start the car which may work great in OEM sizes. If looking into the "lightest" weight/weight reduction realm I'd reach out to them (310) 527-2330. I currently have the ATX20-HD installed. It's 5lbs/7oz. (Note: I am not a battery expert!!!) I came across AntiGravityBatteries during my searching, and they were active over on the Rennlist.com (Porsche) forum.
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)

Last edited by driven2exceSS; 08-03-2019 at 09:45 AM.
driven2exceSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
driven2exceSS

FYI Bump.... Thread got moved to: "Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing"
NPP, MRC, Tinted side & rear reflectors, OEM ZL1 Rockers / 3rd Brake / Darken tail lights, OEM Blk rear splash guards, Satin hood wrap, Fuse pull, Sound tube delete, Cat delete, Ported 95 TB, Ported MSD IM, Dry RotoFab, ARH 1 7/8 headers, E85, "Performance Dyno" Tune, BMR "pieces", "Track" alignment, Hawk DCT-70/70's w/SRF, Goodridge lines, Ti shims, Red powdered calipers, 18" APEX SM-10's w/ Pirelli DH's, FE4 Vert swaybars, Brake cooling ducts, ATI 10% UD, Vorshlag camber plates, OEM 1LE Splitter w/APR Ext., Velossa BIG MOUTH Ram Air, CF QA1, ZLE brakes(F)
Old 08-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com

Highly recommend them!!! I've had good luck with my dealings with them with multiple Lithium batteries... I've read some literature that the Lithium battery can hold a charge for like a year with no parasitic drain. If you are looking for OEM size, the cold weather may not be as much of a issue IDK (I take mine out and put it on a maintainer through winter). They offer a ReStart Technology. With the ReStart Technology the battery goes into sleep mode when the amperage drops to a certain point to allow enough reserve to ("jump") start the car which may work great in OEM sizes. If looking into the "lightest" weight/weight reduction realm I'd reach out to them (310) 527-2330. I currently have the ATX20-HD installed. It's 5lbs/7oz. (Note: I am not a battery expert!!!) I came across AntiGravityBatteries during my searching, and they were active over on the Rennlist.com (Porsche) forum.
I looked at the website and didn't see the 20 on there anymore. Do they not sell it anymore? I want one without the restart technology in it.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #9
driven2exceSS

The ATX20-HD (under Motorcycles/Powersports tab) is what you want then! It does NOT have the ReStart Technology, however it does have an internal cut off (I believe 11.5?) which is below that of the ReStart's voltage/amp technology. I believe this cutoff is suppose to save the battery from over discharge. Thus saving/protecting itself from too rapid of a recharge at/upon discharge. Which is suppose to prevent bad thermal things from happening.
Thats what I'm told

Last edited by driven2exceSS; 08-03-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #10
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by driven2exceSS View Post
The ATX20-HD (under Motorcycles/Powersports tab) is what you want then! It does NOT have the ReStart Technology, however it does have an internal cut off (I believe 11.5?) which is below that of the ReStart's voltage/amp technology. I believe this cutoff is suppose to save the battery from over discharge. Thus saving/protecting itself from too rapid of a recharge at/upon discharge. Which is suppose to prevent bad thermal things from happening.
Thats what I'm told
Ok thanks, I'll look under the motorcycle batteries for it.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:13 AM   #11
driven2exceSS

*Don't forget to order the SAE Terminals too...

Last edited by driven2exceSS; 08-04-2019 at 06:54 AM.