Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Phastek Performance

Old 04-21-2019, 02:38 AM   #1
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
CAMARO OILS LISTED AND COMPARED

CAMARO OILS LISTED AND COMPARED

As there has been quite a few questions as to what oil to use (especially from new owners), i have collected the data all together here plus included a few of my own thoughts/musings. Hope some folks will find it useful.

HISTORICAL OVERVIEW

Owners Manuals have been adjusted a bit over the years format and content detail wise between 2016 to current MY. Don't forget to also reference High Performance Supplement if your car comes with it. Use BOTH manuals (if supplied) to get a full picture, as requirements vary by model type.

WARNING: Don't confuse Camaro LT (which has a V6) with SS (which has a V8) as they have different requirements! This will be even more confusing in 2020MY as a new Camaro LT1 will be introduced (a budget V8 model). So pay attention to your official model name.

Valvoline MST 5w40 has been officially approved as Dexos2 standard, since being first mentioned back in 2016 owner's manual, as a non Dexos2 approved oil (and repeated as such, in 2017 and 2018 manuals).

IMPORTANT UPDATE: as of Dec 2019 formulation of this oil has been changed and it no longer meets Dexos2 standard. Thank you to member Timbo for advising of this change. This is what Valvoline has sent him as a reaponse to his inquiry:

Merchant Response

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback; we can tell you're a discerning DIYer. Select grades from our Advanced Full Synthetic product line (0W-40, MST 5W-30, MST 5W-40, and XL-III 5W-30) have been rebranded to European Vehicle Full Synthetic. As part of this change, formulas were updated to increase the vehicles for which these products met specifications. And with formula changes, come new specification testing. Unfortunately, original equipment manufacturers no longer offer testing for Dexos2 or ACEA 3 specifications. As a result, we were unable to apply for those licenses and/or include those specs on our packaging. If you'd like to find out whether the new formulation meets the specs for your vehicle(s), please visit our product finder (https://team.valvoline.com/productfinder) or contact us at 1-800-TEAM-VAL.

Given the above, it is likely advisable to simply use a factory Mobil1 0w40 oil (see below). I have a pending inquiry to GM dexos and will pist it here when i get a response.

GM has changed factory fill oil from 5W30 Dexos1 Gen 2, to Mobil1 ESP Formula 0W40 Dexos2 for V8 2019MY cars. A new oil specifically developed for Corvette and its dry sump, but also adopted by Camaros (V8 only).

Corvette Boss Tadge, has confirmed 5W40 as "capable" of substituting 0W40, as long as it is Dexos2 certified and run at 45+F ambient. (NB It is unclear why he mentioned this limit, as any 5W rated oil is capable of cold starts at -20F and even 15W50 doesn't get any specific temp limits mentioned, other than "track only" - presuming no winter usage). Camaro Boss Big Al (since promoted), has stated that Mobil1 ESP Formula 0W40 Dexos2 is "acceptable" for both street and track. Sources: Corvette Forum and Camaro6 Forum (Ask Al and Ask Tadge sections).

No specific manufacturer is now mentioned by name in the newest 2019 manual, rather just specific grades plus Dexos1 Gen 2 and Dexos2 as required standards, depending on models and/or type of duty.

CURRENT GM OIL REQUIREMENTS FOR CAMAROS:

5W30 Dexos1 Gen 2: all purpose oil for Turbo and V6 cars and a street only oil for LT1 and LT4 cars

0W30 Dexos1 Gen 2: for extreme winter temps below -20F for Turbo and V6 cars

0W40 Dexos2 (or 5W40 Dexos2): for LT1 and LT4 cars for BOTH street and track duty (ZL1 1LE excepted, see below)

SAE 15W50: mandatory track oil for ZL1 1LE and optional track oil for other LT4 and LT1 cars. NOT approved for street driving! It is a mandatory track oil for ZL1 1LE due to increased lateral forces (read: stickier tires and aero) in order to protect from pick up pressure loss (source: Big Al). Food for thought if one runs slicks on other Camaros. Note this is the only oil with a broad SAE standard vs any specific Dexos standards.

WHAT MAKES UP GOOD OIL?

In layman's terms (because i am no expert!), it is good to understand key characteristics of oil: SAPS, NOACK and HTHS levels specifically. Indeed these are what manufacturers seem to focus on when they publish data sheets. Albeit there are other specs and data sheet details vary by manufacturer.

Here are easy to understand explanations of the above terms, cut and pasted from industry websites:

SAPS (per Amsoil)

While SAPS has outstanding engine protection properties, too much can be detrimental to exhaust aftertreatment devices.
Very frequently questions arise related to SAPS and why it is important. SAPS is an acronym for sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur, the three inorganic additives that provide key performance properties to a lubricating fluid’s detergency, wear protection and oxidation resistance. Total base number (TBN) and sulfated ash have had a strong correlation in past oil formulations, so most of us associate a lubricant’s SAPS levels with its starting TBN level. The appropriate level of SAPS for lubricants has been the subject of debate for the past few years. Lubrication engineers attempt to formulate oils that provide a high level of resistance to acid formation while limiting one of the main acid-neutralizing additives in order to protect exhaust aftertreatment devices. So, what exactly does SAPS do?

"There is little more detrimental to your vehicle’s engine than wear, and lubricating oils are your first line of defense"

What Does it all Mean?
First, let’s understand the “SA” in SAPS. Sulfated ash is a term used for materials added to lubricants to soak up excess oxidation byproducts and acids created by exhaust gases. Sulfated ash is an important component of diesel oil to ensure long oil life and good engine protection over time. As noted, some oil specifications restrict the sulfated ash content in order to protect certain emissions aftertreatment devices. The diesel particulate filter (DPF) is a good example of an emissions system device and is a relatively new development in the diesel world. The DPF is a large, honeycomb-type filter designed to capture and burn soot in diesel applications. It filters particulate matter from the exhaust so we don’t have to breathe in harmful material from buses, trucks and other diesel applications.

As the DPF fills with contaminants, pressure builds within the exhaust system. When the pressure reaches a certain level it triggers a DPF regeneration process where soot particles are burned. Materials that don’t burn, like sulfated ash, build up in the filter over time and block the flow of exhaust through the filter. When ash build-up becomes excessive, it must be professionally cleaned. The latest diesel oil specification for 2007 and newer diesel vehicles, API CJ-4, limits the level of sulfated ash for this reason. It is normal and accepted that these filters need to be cleaned, but the new CJ-4 specification limits sulfated ash levels to prolong time between cleanings.

Now for the “P” portion of SAPS. Phosphorus is a component of what is commonly recognized as an anti-wear agent and oxidation inhibitor, zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP). ZDDP is very prevalent in the lubrication industry due to its excellent anti-wear and antioxidant properties. Alternatively, larger quantities of volatile phosphorus contained in ZDDP have been linked to premature poisoning of the catalyst surface of three-way catalytic converters and is a primary reason phosphorus has been limited in certain oil specifications. The VW 504.00/507.00 oil specification limits phosphorus content to help prolong catalytic converter life. While higher phosphorus levels can reduce catalytic converter life, a low-SAPS lubricant is engineered to provide emissions system compatibility in both gas- and diesel-fueled vehicles.

The last “S” in SAPS stands for sulfur. Sulfur compounds are typically associated with anti-wear and extreme-pressure protection, but they can also be a component of corrosion inhibitors, friction modifiers and antioxidants. Excess sulfur can contribute to catalyst poisoning because sulfur is preferentially absorbed by the catalyst sites. When sulfur gets into the exhaust stream, it can poison catalyst surfaces, resulting in formation of particulate matter. Particulates in the emissions system can increase system back-pressure that negatively affects vehicle performance. Sulfur is generally being reduced in diesel fuel and lubricants.

There are a number of very positive benefits of SAPS in lubricants; however, as government emissions legislation imposes stricter emissions limits, the latest and forthcoming oil specifications require reduced SAPS levels to improve the life and performance of exhaust aftertreatment devices.

New materials are continually being developed that provide performance functions similar to SAPS, yet help overcome the detrimental effects SAPS can have on emissions treatment systems.

NOACK (per Benchmarkautoworks)

Use of proper engine oil is also particularly important on Gasoline Direct Injection (GDI) engines because of the formation of intake valve deposits. Deposit buildup has become a problem on some of these engines because the intake valves run dry. The fuel injector sprays fuel directly into the combustion chamber or cylinder rather than the intake port, so there is no fuel wash to clean and cool the intake valves. Consequently, if oil is getting past the valve guide seals, it can form heavy carbon deposits on the intake valves that hurt performance and emissions.

In these cases, a motor oil with a low-volatility rating (its “NOACK” number, which is based on the ASTM D5800 lab test) is better because it reduces oil consumption and helps keep the PCV system and intake valves clean (especially in GDI engines). The most recent European specifications call for a low NOACK rating (less than 15%).

HTHS (per Lubrizoladditives360)

High temperature high shear (HTHS) viscosity of engine oils is a critical property that relates to the fuel economy and durability of a running engine. The drivers behind lowering HTHS viscosity are new global governmental regulations to improve fuel economy (FE) and lower greenhouse gases (GHG) in new vehicles. Lower HTHS viscosity tends to improve FE and lower GHG but higher HTHS viscosity affords better wear protection so a careful balance must be found when formulating an engine oil. Sufficient HTHS viscosity is critical in preventing engine wear in the critical ring/liner interface area by maintaining a protective oil film between moving parts. One method used to measure HTHS viscosity is ASTM D4683. Oil is introduced between a rotor and a stator at the test temperature of 150°C. The rotor experiences a reactive torque to the oils resistance to flow (viscose friction) and this torque response level is used to determine the HTHS viscosity. HTHS viscosity by ASTM D4683 has been found to relate to the viscosity providing hydrodynamic lubrication in light duty and heavy duty engines. HTHS viscosity has also been found to relate to fuel economy. Think of the protective oil film as if you are trying to swim. If the film is too thick like molasses you can barely move and have to expend a lot of energy; too thin and you sink to the bottom. What you want is the right balance of support and ease of movement. The oil has to be thick enough to maintain separation of the critical moving parts but thin enough to allow for fuel efficient operation.

My edit: basically 3.5 and higher means, that oil is designed more towards motor protection vs fuel efficiency. Any oil below 3.5 rating is the opposite design wise. I suspect that's one reason why 5W30 - which has a lower rating - is not permitted for track duty.

HOW DO CAMARO OILS COMPARE?

Summary below has been compiled from individual manufacturer data sheets, present on their websites.

Note i have used some specific, easily available oils to make a comparison. By no means this is a full list! Go to www.gmdexos.com to see all oils that meet either Dexos1 Gen 2, or Dexos2 standard in your car's required grade.

Mobil1 5W30 Dexos1 Gen 2:

Phosphorus 0.08, Zink 0.09, Sulphated Ash 0.8, NOACK na, HTHS 3.1

Mobil1 ESP Formula 0W40 Dexos2

Phosphorus 0.09wt, Zink 0.099, Sulphated Ash 0.8, NOACK na, Base Number 8.5, HTHS 3.53

Valvoline MST 5W40 Dexos2

Phosphorus 0.077wt, Zink 0.084, Sulphated Ash 0.78, NOACK 10wt, Base Number 7.4, HTHS 3.7

Note this no longer applies. Read my comment about Valvoline having changed its recipe, above.

Mobil1 15W50

Phosphorus 0.12, Zink 0.13, Sulphated Ash 1.21, NOACK na, HTHS 4.5

CONCLUSIONS (or rather: my musings...).

Only the track focused, 15W50 oil has much higher SAPS, while all others are clearly "low SAPS". Also, not surprisingly, the former shows the highest (by far) HTHS score, while 5W30 offers the lowest protection in this category. So, 15W50 offers great protection, but may poison CATS much sooner than other oil choices. I am guessing, that's why GM restricts it to track only duty. Don't forget: GM warranties CATS for 80,000 miles and 8 years and have a vested interest here (as they should).

The new Mobil1 ESP Formula 0W40 Dexos2 and Valvoline MST 5W40 Dexos2 look almost identical regarding data sheets. Mobil1 has slightly higher SAPS and total base number, while Valvoline has them slightly lower, but achieves higher HTHS rating. Unless for extreme cold start ups (beyond -20F) it seems a toss up.

CAN WE HELP OURSELVES?

WE can do a LOT to help our engines live long lives.

Firstly: use proper oil as specified in your car's owner's manual and required by manufacturer's warranty, according to specific type of duty (DD, track, etc).

NB Some folks may think that Magnuson-Moss Act gives them a right to pick and choose the "best" oil, but that may not be the case. Unlike "replacement parts", oil is part of "maintenance requirements", which one actually needs to follow as documented, in order to uphold a warranty. Cost of new LT1 replacement? $18,500 as recently posted on this forum.

Secondly: don't be late with oil and filter changes, as all fluids degrade with use (and time) and lose their properties to lubricate, to protect, to clean, to seal, to cool, etc. The longer you run any oil, the less protection it will give your engine. Especially under severe duty conditions. Never skip an oil filter change, as it contains about 3/4 quart of old oil, which will immediately contaminate your new oil with crap. Not to mention, the filter's ability to do its job will be vastly reduced.

Thirdly: use top grade gasoline! Don't feed your car crap as it will end up in all its internals, including the motor of course.

Other: warm up the car, especially before any WOT driving (this is also important for other areas like tranny and diff), avoid short trips if possible, avoid parking with low fuel level for prolonged periods, or shutting off engine before it comes up to full operating temps. Condensation is not good for any motor, regardless of any other considerations.

Bottom line: how a car is used and driven has much to do with wear and tear, deposits, gunk etc. Keep in mind, that what oil manufacturers consider "normal duty" is *regular highway driving* vs short trips once a month to cars and coffee! Note that "severe duty", which statistically applies to 80% of drivers (yet most have no idea), will often cut the recommended change interval in half, even for long interval oils. That's according to official oil manufacturer websites. Consider that, when trying to determine proper change interval for your ride.

PARTING THOUGHTS:

Since i drive all my vehicles in severe duty conditions (incl track), none of them ever go beyond 50% of reported oil life left. Simply said, i consider frequent changes as cheap insurance.

In any case, here is some extra reading, if one has desire and time:

1. The Debate Over Reduced ZDDP:
https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/cla...ar-protection/

2. A must read re: normal vs severe driving:
https://www.joebowmanautoplaza.com/b...ese-are-521120

You can also Google the subject and get the actual technical service bulletin referenced in the link.

Happy motoring!

Last edited by TrackClub; 12-04-2019 at 12:17 PM.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:00 AM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
didnt test Amsoil
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:00 AM   #3
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
didnt test Amsoil
If you are referring to me, i havent tested any Just listed their data sheets stats for comparisons. But Dexos website lists tons more choices, thats for sure, especially in 5w30 and 5w40 grades. Yet GM specifically recommended Valvoline MST product in the latter category hence thats the one i have included. SAE 15W50 doesnt call for Dexos, so i suppose it is up to an owner to decide what manufacturer to use. Hope this clarifies. Cheers!
Old 04-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #4
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Excellent post! Great idea to have it in one place.

I might suggest putting commas in between the items like phosphorus, zinc, etc., to make it more obvious what goes with what, just to make it a little easier to read.

Like:

Phosphorus 0.09wt, Zink 0.099, Sulphated Ash 0.8, NOACK na, Base Number 8.5, HTHS 3.53
Old 04-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #5
Saksride

Drives: RPM Built Camaro ZL1 1LE
Excellent post!
Thank you
Wipple SC, Meth, Heads/Cam/Few extras, AR Full Exhaust system with headers and mid, E85, 2nd Fuel system, Intercooler Expansion Tank, Roto Fab Intake, ForgeLine GS1R Wheels
Saksride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #6
TrackClub

Thank you guys and thx for the suggestion re: punctuation: done!

I welcome any other suggestions/thoughts to make this info better for the benefit of our Forum members.

Cheers!
Old 04-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #7
Z0Tex
@texan.1le

Drives: '18 Camaro 1SS 1LE, PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Thank you guys and thx for the suggestion re: punctuation: done!

I welcome any other suggestions/thoughts to make this info better for the benefit of our Forum members.

Cheers!
Thank you for making this post. I vote it becomes a sticky.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z0Tex View Post
Thank you for making this post. I vote it becomes a sticky.
My pleasure! It took a bit if digging but having the info in one place is always a good idea. Agree a sticky would be a good idea. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #9
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
where did you find all this? i use torco 5w40 and love it my friend has worked in sales over there 15 plus years
Old 04-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #10
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
where did you find all this? i use torco 5w40 and love it my friend has worked in sales over there 15 plus years
Well, ive listed my sources in OP above

Torco 5w40 data sheet is almost identical to Valvoline MST 5w40 except that Torco doesnt list SAPS levels so impossible to compare levels of these. It is also not Dexos 2 approved (just FYI).
Old 04-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #11
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Well, ive listed my sources in OP above

Torco 5w40 data sheet is almost identical to Valvoline MST 5w40 except that Torco doesnt list SAPS levels so impossible to compare levels of these. It is also not Dexos 2 approved (just FYI).

Oh ok gotcha i didnt see that and well if you ever want to try out some torco let me know its awesome and its not approved but my buddy over there tastes all that dexos 2 approved stuff is just extra bs
Old 04-22-2019, 03:21 PM   #12
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
Oh ok gotcha i didnt see that and well if you ever want to try out some torco let me know its awesome and its not approved but my buddy over there tastes all that dexos 2 approved stuff is just extra bs
Thanks for the offer! I am happy with Valvoline MST Dexos2 myself and it is easy to get where i live
Old 04-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #13
trohde78

Drives: '17 Red Hot 2SS 6MT
Great comparison! You listed Valvoline MST 0W40 Dexos2, but I think you're referring to the 5W40 MST?
trohde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:41 PM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
Great comparison! You listed Valvoline MST 0W40 Dexos2, but I think you're referring to the 5W40 MST?
Good catch and thank you (corrected now).