Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Borla axle back

Guys.

Drove a car with NPP exhaust and really liked but, the dealer wouldn't deal so I went elsewhere and bought a 2SS with non NPP. Looked around and read some and decided on a Borla S type axle back and, all I can is fuuuuuuuuck yes. I don't need to stinking NPP exhaust. Awesome quality, easy to install, and sounds friggen amazing. If you're looking for a great sounding exhaust that's not loud AF, this is it.

Last edited by ssmofo; 08-18-2019 at 10:25 PM.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
Nick801

Drives: ‘18 Camaro 2SS
You get a whole catback with it or just axle back? id love to hear a sample of yours, i just got a 2ss yesterday and searching for a good loud exhaust and debating on the s-type catback though but im confused which one i need to buy and mines a non npp also.
Nick801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
Brandonc_06

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2017
I have a borla atak axle back. It can be loud but it can also be quiet. Perfect exhaust.
Brandonc_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:30 PM   #4
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
As I stated in the post it the S-type axle back, bough it pm amazon for about 110 bucks cheaper that any place else. Nick, do you have the quad or dual exhaust?
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:55 PM   #5
Nick801

Drives: ‘18 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
As I stated in the post it the S-type axle back, bough it pm amazon for about 110 bucks cheaper that any place else. Nick, do you have the quad or dual exhaust?
I have the dual exhaust(single tips) and trying to go cat back full exhaust non npp but confused on this talk of afm valves?
Nick801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
trohde78

Drives: '17 Red Hot 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick801 View Post
I have the dual exhaust(single tips) and trying to go cat back full exhaust non npp but confused on this talk of afm valves?
If you have an automatic, then you have the AFM valves. I believe you would also want them in the new cat back exhaust, unless you had the cylinder deactivation tuned out. They make the exhaust not sound like crap when it kicks into 4 cylinder mode.

*Note - I have a manual (no AFM), so this is just from what I've read on this forum. :-)
trohde78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:25 PM   #7
GrantB

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS 2SS
Quote:
You get a whole catback with it or just axle back? id love to hear a sample of yours, i just got a 2ss yesterday and searching for a good loud exhaust and debating on the s-type catback though but im confused which one i need to buy and mines a non npp also.
I have done lots of research on this topic and have NPP. I know it is different, but the dB levels aren't much different if you have NPP valves open or if you have the dual tips. The atak will give you more of the gargle and popping, throaty sound of a V8. The S-type, while still having a deep tone, will be slightly subdued but still insanely good sounding. If I didn't have NPP and had single tips, I'd opt for the S-type to get a good balance of deep throaty notes but also be able to scream in higher RPM's.

Another thing to think about is your warranty. Depending on if you have a certified pre-owned or if you just have the factory warranty left, tuning the car or getting a catback system will void your warranty if the dealer wants to be a dick. If you tune it (pretty much necessary with catback) then most every dealership would refuse a warranty claim. Food for thought, because I love knowing if anything happens to my car bumper to bumper I''m covered and especially if the powertrain fails. That'd be very costly to repair out of pocket.

The secondary cats aren't technically monitored so they can be removed without a tune needed. Only issue is that if your motor blows and you have a warranty, and try to get it repaired, the ECU map they send to GM for approval of a new motor will show the car not meeting the CO/2 emissions that are picked up, I believe, after the secondary cats. It's just a sensor there I believe (was told this from a tech guy I trust at a dealership). Basically if you want to keep warranty, do an axle back. Otherwise be ready to drop some $ on a full system and find a good tuner. I would delete AFM if I had an automatic and got it tuned, or at least see if I could get it disabled below a certain speed or gear.

Just my 0.02 cents! Best of luck and welcome the wonderful world of a 2SS!
GrantB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:20 PM   #8
MPLJR1222

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonc_06 View Post
I have a borla atak axle back. It can be loud but it can also be quiet. Perfect exhaust.
Agreed!! Quiet when cruising, loud when on it
Old 08-20-2019, 07:33 PM   #9
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
https://youtu.be/sEqktJRy97g

Borla is alright I guess...
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
It's hard to beat Borla
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #11
CompleteStreet

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 A10
Borla is great, and if you call us @ 610-628-1563 we can give you a great deal!
CompleteStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:58 PM   #12
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
I have the same exhaust; Borla S-type non-npp axleback. IMO it sounds clearly better than the OEM NPP exhaust. Simply awesome. And not crazy loud...perfect. Paid around $730 on Amazon 4 months ago.

Sound clip below doesn't do it justice. Driving around it sounds so good.

cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:00 PM   #13
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Quote:
If you want "loud" go Borla ATAK. The S-type is plenty good sounding but it's just loud enough IMO to not be annoying. ATAK is louder.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #14
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by trohde78 View Post
If you have an automatic, then you have the AFM valves. I believe you would also want them in the new cat back exhaust, unless you had the cylinder deactivation tuned out. They make the exhaust not sound like crap when it kicks into 4 cylinder mode.

*Note - I have a manual (no AFM), so this is just from what I've read on this forum. :-)
You don't need to worry about AFM. I have it in my A10. Borla axleback has no effect on AFM. You can't hear it at all.