Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #43
GreatWhiteLT

Drives: 2016 Silver Ice Metallic SS
Kook's won't bolt right up, just a few inches will have to be cut to make them fit properly. Are you doing the install? Or are you having a shop do it? Also its highly recommended to get a tune because if you go WOT before a tune it will lean the engine out and cause some issues.
GreatWhiteLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #44
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Headers

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1njam005e View Post
I do have the NPP and only want to change the headers from stock to long tube. I like the stock exhaust and want to leave the entire exhaust the same with the exception of the headers. I just don't know what brand will just "attach" to the stock exhaust. I just want long tube headers to attach to the stock exhaust if this is possible, leaving everthing else on lol. I am so green when it comes to this that I feel like I am treading water.

I am not too concerned about price point, I just want the stock headers to come out and the new long tubes to drop in and attach to the entire exhaust stock. I hope this makes sense but perhaps someone in here can dumb in down for me, if need be.

I hope this will give anyone in this thread an idea on what I want to do.

Thanks all for the replies!
People here are pretty cool for the most part and can guide you even if you aren't a car expert or know all the technical terms and specifics about the car.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #45
n1njam005e

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteLT View Post
Kook's won't bolt right up, just a few inches will have to be cut to make them fit properly. Are you doing the install? Or are you having a shop do it? Also its highly recommended to get a tune because if you go WOT before a tune it will lean the engine out and cause some issues.
Hello,

I ended up ordering the Kooks long tube headers KOK-2260H420. These appear to fit the stock exhaust with minor modifications. They also appear to come with high flow cats, which I need too.

The rest of the exhaust I am leaving stock.

I am having a garage do the install for me, there is no way I would try this myself

What do you mean when say get a tune done?

Thanks
n1njam005e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:47 PM   #46
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
Quote:
Hello,

I ended up ordering the Kooks long tube headers KOK-2260H420. These appear to fit the stock exhaust with minor modifications. They also appear to come with high flow cats, which I need too.

The rest of the exhaust I am leaving stock.

I am having a garage do the install for me, there is no way I would try this myself

What do you mean when say get a tune done?

Thanks
It means having a tuner fine tune your ECM to get the most out of your headers. Depending on what you do with your o2 sensors, you might get a check engine light. HPtuners and 4 credits run about $500 then depending on your tuner, it can be more money on top of that.
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:59 PM   #47
n1njam005e

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oslouie View Post
It means having a tuner fine tune your ECM to get the most out of your headers. Depending on what you do with your o2 sensors, you might get a check engine light. HPtuners and 4 credits run about $500 then depending on your tuner, it can be more money on top of that.

Is this something that SHOULD BE done or suggested to be done?

I won't be driving it too hard, no track yet just daily driver but will be parking it over the winter.
n1njam005e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #48
GreatWhiteLT

Drives: 2016 Silver Ice Metallic SS
It is not mandatory but it is HIGHLY recommended you get a tune done with it, I daily drive mine and was recommended to get a tune. If you drive it too hard or go WOT too much it will cause too much leaning out fuel wise which you'll get really bad MPG and can cause engine damage. But it's up to you, plus with a tune the headers will net you more HP, which in my opinion is always a good thing lol
GreatWhiteLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #49
oslouie

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Redline
Quote:
Is this something that SHOULD BE done or suggested to be done?

I won't be driving it too hard, no track yet just daily driver but will be parking it over the winter.
I wouldn't drive it too much without tuning it but that's just me. I drove my 5th gen for 2 weeks before finally getting it tuned and I was getting paranoid. When I mod my 6th gen, Ill be sure to have enough funds to get it tuned right away before tearing into it.
oslouie is offline   Reply With Quote