Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-11-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Buckscamaro

Drives: 2016 ss camaro
Just installed magnaflow npp axle back *sound clips*

Hey how’s it going ladies and gentlemen,
I just replaced my oem npp exhaust system for a magnaflow npp axle back. Car has hooker shorty’s, cat deletes and borla mid pipes. I really likes how it sounded with the oem npp, very loud at wot but stealthy down low. But, the valves would always rattle, I took it to the dealer and had the recall done but rattle would always return.

I came across a used magnaflow set up so I jumped on it. I’ve had magnaflows in the past on fbody’s and really liked them a lot. So Why not try them on my 6th gen. But I can say I’m very happy with them. Car drones like crazy inside, the whole car vibrates from drone. Outside sounds magnificent, but hey here’s a vid Incase you are thinking about it. It may just be your cup of tea.

https://youtu.be/WrEh4dd9Y2U

Instagram: boogieman_racing
Buckscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #2
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Try lining the trunk with sound deadening for the drone. I just got LT's, 3" catless mid pipes and Stainless Works NPP. Crazy loud but no drone. I'm going to line the trunk first, maybe under the back seat also.

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
ssmofo

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Every Magnaflow I've owned had drone. Borla none.
ssmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #4
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmofo View Post
Every Magnaflow I've owned had drone. Borla none.

Jeez really? Thought drone was more on engine design / frequency than exhaust.

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Thanks for the vid
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
Vaevictum

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS, 2012 Toyota Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
Primary controlling variables for drone are wave frequency and decibels. If the frequency of the two exhausts are different, the difference in vibration could cause one to have drone and one to be drone-free, even at the same decibels.
Vaevictum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #7
Vaevictum

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS, 2012 Toyota Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osbornsm View Post
Just found this on the interwebs, makes sense. They even explain why Corsa's and Borla's might not have the drone.

What is it?

Drone is the word to describe a resonance phenomenon that offends nearly every type of material on the planet as a specific frequency range.

What causes it?

This sound frequency range is typically between 133 - 138hz for cars. This frequency sends the energy through the metal frame, body work, and everything in between (even seats in some cases) and shakes the molecules creating an awful humming sound.

What can I do about it?

Not much. You can't really block this frequency range because it is a natural resonance frequency. It will rattle EVERYTHING (even materials like wood and some softer materials as well). Dynomat in your trunk won't work. Dynomat on your floorboards or on the unibody underneath your seats won't work. This range of 133 - 138hz is incredibly difficult to manage. The best way to address drone is with muffler design or resonators. The factory mufflers are specifically designed to not only block but also CANCEL these frequencies. Some aftermarket designs such as Borla's and Corsa's offerings do the same job. Borla's design cancels out some of these frequencies as well as ensures that the sound energy is going out the tailpipes. Corsa's designs have an internal chamber that is of the correct length to cancel this frequency out using the laws of wave reflection.
Vaevictum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:17 AM   #8
Buckscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictum View Post
Just found this on the interwebs, makes sense. They even explain why Corsa's and Borla's might not have the drone.

What is it?

Drone is the word to describe a resonance phenomenon that offends nearly every type of material on the planet as a specific frequency range.

What causes it?

This sound frequency range is typically between 133 - 138hz for cars. This frequency sends the energy through the metal frame, body work, and everything in between (even seats in some cases) and shakes the molecules creating an awful humming sound.

What can I do about it?

Not much. You can't really block this frequency range because it is a natural resonance frequency. It will rattle EVERYTHING (even materials like wood and some softer materials as well). Dynomat in your trunk won't work. Dynomat on your floorboards or on the unibody underneath your seats won't work. This range of 133 - 138hz is incredibly difficult to manage. The best way to address drone is with muffler design or resonators. The factory mufflers are specifically designed to not only block but also CANCEL these frequencies. Some aftermarket designs such as Borla's and Corsa's offerings do the same job. Borla's design cancels out some of these frequencies as well as ensures that the sound energy is going out the tailpipes. Corsa's designs have an internal chamber that is of the correct length to cancel this frequency out using the laws of wave reflection.
Wow, very nice explanation. Thank you.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #9
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
Drone can tend to be exacerbated in a certain RPM range, too. As with a manual I would downshift one gear, with a slushbox youre pretty screwed, but avoiding the ~1500 RPM range can help.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #10
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I've had MF on my past cars and trucks with no issues, I put the MF axle back on my 17 Ss 1LE with the ARH catless headers and it was drone city. I removed it the same night and

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:50 PM   #11
Buckscamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
Drone can tend to be exacerbated in a certain RPM range, too. As with a manual I would downshift one gear, with a slushbox youre pretty screwed, but avoiding the ~1500 RPM range can help.
Last night I drove home in 5th gear to avoid the drone lol it’s around the very low rpms the drone exist