Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 02-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
srossi5

Drives: White 2016 camaro ss M6 npp
MBRP axle back vs cat back

I am looking for other members insight on which i should go with i have the npp exhaust now with the secondary cats deleted and do not care for the npp function. I want the car to be louder but am unsure if i can accomplish this just with the axle back and secondary cats deleted or if i need to go for the full cat back thanks
srossi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #2
marknagy13
Markoon13

Drives: Camaro 2SS
I just did a review on the cat back. It should answer your question. Its my opinion of course... haha

marknagy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
ChillaxAttack

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
I've actually heard that the less restricted airflow of the x-pipes on a catback exhaust makes it quieter than the axle back. Can anyone comment on this?
ChillaxAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
marknagy13
Markoon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillaxAttack View Post
I've actually heard that the less restricted airflow of the x-pipes on a catback exhaust makes it quieter than the axle back. Can anyone comment on this?
As far as I understand it, if you restrict airflow, you restrict sound as well. Think of a silencer on a gun.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
ChillaxAttack

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by marknagy13 View Post
As far as I understand it, if you restrict airflow, you restrict sound as well. Think of a silencer on a gun.
I thought either that or a more restrictive exhaust would produce more turbulent air that'd possibly generate more noise. I checked out MBRP's comparison video and for some reason their axle back sounds louder than the catback. Wondering if that's true or just the video playing tricks on me.
ChillaxAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
marknagy13
Markoon13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillaxAttack View Post
I thought either that or a more restrictive exhaust would produce more turbulent air that'd possibly generate more noise. I checked out MBRP's comparison video and for some reason their axle back sounds louder than the catback. Wondering if that's true or just the video playing tricks on me.
Just the video. The axle back has a higher pitched tone so its easier to hear over headphones or computer speakers. If you hook it up to a sound system with a subwoofer you'll change your mind lol
Old 06-29-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
samjlee27

Drives: Summit White 2018 Camaro 1SS M6
Have you figured out which one you got? I'm debating the same situation and am just trying to figure out which one is louder.
samjlee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 07:51 AM   #8
Fast02Z06

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I ran mbrp on my previous 2017 50th anniv ss (catback with longtube catless headers) along with a cam and supercharger and it was loud af!!! (deleted the npp bc yes it was too quiet). if you are going without headers go catback. if you see yourself adding headers go axleback

Last edited by Fast02Z06; 07-08-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Fast02Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:29 AM   #9
DorkMissile

Drives: 18 1SS 1LE HyperBlue
I have all factory NPP exhaust (manual - no AFM vavles) with no primary or secondary cats and it is loud as hell on track mode
Old 08-13-2019, 11:54 PM   #10
Dvs510

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by srossi5 View Post
I am looking for other members insight on which i should go with i have the npp exhaust now with the secondary cats deleted and do not care for the npp function. I want the car to be louder but am unsure if i can accomplish this just with the axle back and secondary cats deleted or if i need to go for the full cat back thanks
I have the mbrp race axle back with everything else stock. I did a dB meter before and after from track mode to mbrp.. it was about 10-11 dB difference.. Definately noticeable and I like it... I’m actualy kinda thinking about secondary delete now but I think it might make it just a lil too loud for my area
Dvs510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:16 AM   #11
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
If only should I get a axle or cat back you have nothing to gain with the catback except to lighten your wallet. If it's sound you're after an axle back of touring or race variety will do all of that. If you have grander plans down the road like headers, or force induction etc etc then you could justify the cost of a catback but those midpipes aren't really going to do anything for sound or performance to justify the added dollars.

I ran an MBRP catback on my Mustang but when axle back only on the camaro, it's the sound I needed and an axle back has significant cost savings.
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote