Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 06-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #57
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
no they are not insulated much at all.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #58
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
That doesn't make sense even.

No other purpose that that?

If that's the case there's another POS I had to pay for, like OnStar, don't want it, don't use it, but I bought it. These cars would be cheaper if they would just sell you what you want. And I know all of them do it.
Rant over. Sorry
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 03:50 PM   #59
KLG

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
That doesn't make sense even.

No other purpose that that?

If that's the case there's another POS I had to pay for, like OnStar, don't want it, don't use it, but I bought it. These cars would be cheaper if they would just sell you what you want. And I know all of them do it.
Rant over. Sorry
First, I probably should have said quiet in the cabin, not insulated.

And second, sad but true, that is the sound tube's sole purpose. Some car manufacturers are sending engine sound into the cabin with the vehicle speakers.

--KLG--
2016 2SS Convertible; SIM; Black & Ceramic White interior; M6; NPP; DD LED side marker lamps & back-up lamps; LED trunk lamps, license plate lamps & front T/S lamps; 3rd brake light pulser; Skip-shift eliminator; Borla s-type non-npp axle backs; Weather-Tech floor mats, trunk mat, rear license plate frame/cover; GM fuel door; ZL1addons rock guards; Removed fender badges, front & rear SS badges; JLT CAI, tune, oil separator; RP Synchromax in transmission; RP MaxGear in rear differential; GM Lowering Suspension Upgrade; Dimple oil filter magnets & magnetic oil drain plug; 3M Ceramic window tint.
KLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:02 PM   #60
overdriv

Any reason why I shouldn't just plug the tube coming out of the air intake tube?
Old 07-23-2019, 11:08 PM   #61
JCunningham

you have to make sure the plug cant get sucked into the engine. unless your removing the hole thing theres no reason to do anything. I removed mine to put a catch can in.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 07-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #62
overdriv

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
you have to make sure the plug cant get sucked into the engine. unless your removing the hole thing theres no reason to do anything. I removed mine to put a catch can in.
I thought the whole point was to quiet down the interior noise. How would the sound tube prevent you from installing a catch can?
Old 07-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #63
JCunningham

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdriv View Post
I thought the whole point was to quiet down the interior noise. How would the sound tube prevent you from installing a catch can?
the sound tube diafram was in the way
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #64
overdriv

I get it.

What does the line from the CC do going to the intake tube? Just curious.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #65
JCunningham

its a dual exit port.
from Elites sight
Q: Do I need a Single Exit Catch Can or a Dual Exit Catch Can?

A: You have decided on our E2 or E2-X Catch Can, so the only option is the Single EXIT or the Dual EXIT Catch Can.

On a NA engine, during acceleration, the intake manifold vacuum is used as the suction source to evacuate the damaging compounds entering as blow-by from the crankcase before they can settle and mix with the oil.

But, when you accelerate, that vacuum drops to zero and no evacuation takes place. It is during these periods that the water, raw fuel, sulfuric acid, and abrasive soot, carbon, and ash particles settle and mix with the oil, and these cause the wear to the engine.

The Dual Catch Can (second Exit fitting) is used to tap into an alternate evacuation suction source. This source is typically at a location just in front, or upstream of the throttle body. Note: If you do choose to install the Dual Exit (second Exit Port), you will be required to drill into your existing intake tube and insert a hose barb fitting. In addition, we use one-way inline checkvalves to open and close, to always default to the strongest suction source at the time. This provides full time crankcase evacuation instead of only when not accelerating or at wide open throttle (WOT) when no vacuum is present.

Additional comment: Why does the vacuum drop to zero at WOT? The cam lobes all have overlap. That overlap is when the exhaust valve has not fully closed and the intake valve is starting to open (and vice versa). This allows reversion pulses to travel back up each intake runner and these cancel the vacuum present. This is also the period when pressure builds in the crankcase seeking the path of least resistance, which is backwards through the clean, or fresh side of the PCV system pushing oil and contaminate laden vapors into your main intake air tube assy.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:27 AM   #66
overdriv

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense.

I just put a 7/8" rubber plug in the plastic 90 at the air intake. I just don't want any extra noise in the cabin.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:33 PM   #67
MTSS1LE

Drives: 2007 C6 Z06
Little tip for installing that 2.0T firewall plugl. I originally thought the foam gasket was a little too thick on mine when i compared it to the sound tube one. But actually just putting some water on the foam to slick it up really helps it rotate.
MTSS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #68
robertd33

Drives: 2018 2ss redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
I removed the sound tube on mine literally about a week after I bought the car.

If you have a 3D printer or access to one, you can download the part files from Thingiverse here to do the job.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3267691 (updated version)
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3127222 (original version)
I have had these on my car for a long time now and they made a large improvement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
Thanks again for testing these and for providing the dimensions for the SS model.
Very much appreciated.

The files are now posted on Thingiverse at-
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3267691

However, for your convenience I am including them here (all versions).

I made additional versions without the logos if anyone prefers more of a stealth look.
printed out the V8 logo oring plug & firewall cover today, big thanks DIYguy!
robertd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:45 PM   #69
robertd33

Drives: 2018 2ss redline
made an improved design of DIYguy's V8 intake plug, which paired well with his firewall plug.
fits tight, without sealant.
the plug is designed to tighten up if it starts to get pushed/pulled out.
you will need to cut off the 3mm alignment cube on the neck of the intake hose.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4631376

before i started yanking anything out, i unhooked the end at the firewall so i could listen to the sound it was contributing.

Last edited by robertd33; 10-22-2020 at 06:57 PM.
robertd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #70
DIYguy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Smile

I don't have a V8, so when designing it I had to rely upon the dimensions provided from another forum member who does have one.
Your version looks very nice.
Thanks for creating it.

My V6 manifold tube plugs however fit nicely and do not loosen up.
I have had the threaded version on my car for a very long time and stopped bothering to check it a while back because it just never changes.
The difference of course is that the V6 has a hard(er) plastic entry fitting that will very easily split if you apply internal pressure to it.
So it is necessary to use silicone RTV as the sealant and gently tighten them to avoid splitting the tube fitting.

The V8 intake tube is clearly more forgiving in that regard.