Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Phastek Performance

Old 02-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #1
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Tire & wheel advice - staggered diameter wheels F/R

Hello all. Apologies for the novel below, trying to give some background, but the real question is in the bottom half of the post if you want to cut to the chase.

Now that I have an older Outback for snow & ice duty, the set of four 235-wide Blizzaks on 18" wheels I bought for my SS are becoming a pointless exercise in causing me stress (performance- and appearance-wise of course, but mostly about having them on too early in November and late in April, when warm weather causes them to wear excessively).

I'm looking for advice on a tire & wheel purchase I'm looking to make for a set of high performance all-season tires. I have the silver painted split-spoke 20" wheels and like that look, and a set of four 19 x 8.5 wheels in a similar style (Verde Parralax) I bought for my 2010 1LT, but I'd really like to have the stock 275-wide tires in the back again. On Tire Rack and other sources I've checked, though, 8.5-wide wheels seem to be out of stock, maybe discontinued?

vvv The Chase vvv

My plan is to buy a set of two tires at 245/50R19 which would fit two of the 19x8.5 wheels I already have for the front, and then buy a wheel/tire package of 2 each 275/35R20 tires and 20x10 wheels (also Verde Parralax, same style) for the back - the back ones being per the TR wizard, so I'm trusting the fit will be acceptable. If my math is right, this will result in a very similar-to-OEM outside tire diameter and same-as-OEM widths at all four corners. Naturally all four tires will be the same "make and model" so to speak except for width and sidewall.

Aside from wondering whether the one inch difference front to back would look totally absurd, my concern is whether I should be concerned about having wheels/tires staggered in diameter. I'm assuming the greater sidewall up front would make the front ride softer and with less precise steering, but I'm not tracking the car even in summer, and used to even softer still with the 18" wheels & Blizzaks.

Am I over-thinking this, or do I have reason to be concerned? Any advice would be appreciated!
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:46 AM   #2
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
I wouldn’t say you’re over-thinking your setup. However what comes mind is what is your final goal? It sounds like you want a staggered setup but don’t want to purchase 4 new wheels. (Can’t blame you since you already have 4).

If it were my decision, I’d either have to go with wider 19’s for the rear if they’re available. If not, sell off the 19’s and get a set of staggered 20’s.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote