Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #29
Bassment

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS M6
so cquartz is better than chemical guys acrylic 100% no comparison?

How do you apply the coatings? What specific cloth/applicator?
Bassment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #30
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
so cquartz is better than chemical guys acrylic 100% no comparison?

How do you apply the coatings? What specific cloth/applicator?
Correct 100%, there is nothing better than "Ceramic".

I do not want to get into directions involving use or application. I will say that the European companies (and others) offer full and complete training videos on YouTube that cover every imaginable question you could dream of on how to use and apply the product. You would do yourself the best by researching Youtube.

Even if you don't care to go through self training and research, if you bought a bottle of CQuartz off Amazon and applied it to your new car in a well ventilated area using a towel off your kitchen counter the day you got home - you would still be miles ahead of any wax/acrylic product you could purchase. Probably not the best application method, but it's basically that easy.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #31
joemosfet

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
There are plenty of youtube videos showing application. Generally, the CQuartz kit will come with an applicator, as they're one-time use - in fact, keep your applicator after you apply it to your car, when it cures, the applicator will be literally rock hard.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
joemosfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #32
Bassment

the cquarts on amazon.ca doesn't come in a kit, it's just a 30 mL bottle, so I need to figure out what applicator to buy
Old 11-25-2015, 08:53 AM   #33
joemosfet

Huh, two seconds with google turns up http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005DZJ7VA

The way I've seen it done is they take the applicator cloth and wrap it around the sponge. Then, with a tiny bit of cquartz on there, they spread it on the paint in long flowing strokes.

Looks like they're made from sueded microfiber.
2014 Stingray Premiere Edition Coupe #142/500 Z51 3LT M7 Laguna Blue, Magride, NPP, Exposed Carbon Fiber Roof, Carbon Fiber Dash, Suede Wrapped Interior

Canceled: 2016 Camaro Coupe 1AK37 2SS Coupe, G7E Garnet Red, BRJ Adrenaline Red Trim, F55 Magnetic Ride, NPP Exhaust, CF5 Sunroof, 56R Gray Split spoke w/ machined face, RN2 LPO Illuminated Bowtie, VYW Premium Floor Mats, W2D LPO Cargo Net
Old 11-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #34
Bassment

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemosfet View Post
Huh, two seconds with google turns up http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005DZJ7VA

The way I've seen it done is they take the applicator cloth and wrap it around the sponge. Then, with a tiny bit of cquartz on there, they spread it on the paint in long flowing strokes.

Looks like they're made from sueded microfiber.
Ya but I'm not buying that. The cquartz bottle is only $50.00. So essentially $50.00 for the sueded microfiber cloths. lol
Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #35
joemosfet

I linked it to show what kind of cloth & applicator they're using, in case you wanted to find something similar. I wasn't suggesting you buy it.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #36
Bassment

oh ok, thanks. Yeah I'll just buy a suede microfiber cloth.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #37
drivingagain

Drives: 2015 Tiger XCX,2016 Camaro 1SS,LBZ!
Can also go to autogeek and buy the ceramic coatings.
drivingagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:20 AM   #38
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
I think to do the ceramic without getting your car done professionally prepped is less than ideal.
Just getting paint correction done will make your car look like a million dollars.
Slapping it on yourself in the garage will keep all those swirls and ripples safe for years.
BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #39
drivingagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
I think to do the ceramic without getting your car done professionally prepped is less than ideal.
Just getting paint correction done will make your car look like a million dollars.
Slapping it on yourself in the garage will keep all those swirls and ripples safe for years.
This is a fair and true statement. I also understand wanting to do it yourself. Detailers for some reason have come to expect $700 to a couple thousand for a new car ceramic coating. Honestly this is not much more than a real buff polish and wax. Just the wax is three times as much. No offense to any one but when did detail guys assume getting paid $1,000 for a days worth of work was reasonable? I understand experience is worth money but come on. Detailing a vehicle is not a doctors degree.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:54 PM   #40
joemosfet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
How about pro paint correction then DIY ceramic coating?

Old 12-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #41
drivingagain

Yes that can be done. From what I have researched you need to look at the youtube videos. The problem with DYI ceramic coatings is you can have high in low spots. Basically if your applicator goes over an already dry spot it will create a second layer on top. The uneven will take the shine off the paint. Basically the reason you had the buff and polish and paint correction is to take some of the orange peel away. The better the paint is to absolutely smooth like glass the more it looks like a mirror finish or even gets that deep wet look to it. I have read of a couple people who have been dyi buffing and polishing their own cars pulling it off well. There is a write up on the corvette forum too.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #42
ToyotaGasPedal

Drives: Hyper Blue SS
Does anyone know about the detailing process if you have clear-bra before applying ceramic coating? I've never actually gotten a car clear bra'd. So would it change the surface prep method?