Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-13-2021, 04:58 AM   #1
Wayne2016CamRS

Drives: 2016 Camaro Rs
What's the best superchargers out there for the V6's?

I've heard alot of pros about overkill & edelbrock, but now its procharger added to that list. Phastek has the edelbrock & procharger but out of 3 which one really performs the best? whats the pros & cons of all 3? Basically which one is going to turn my 2016 RS to a new kind of monster? Any info will help.
Wayne2016CamRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:36 AM   #2
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Big differences between roots/twin screw style vs centrifugal style chargers. I'd do some basic reading on that first before moving forward
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #3
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
If you want the engine to feel like it's noticeably more powerful through most of the rpm range then Positive Displacement is the way. If you want the car to feel like stock down low and the power to come on more linear(most noticeable above 4500rpm) then Centrifugal is what you want. Centri has more piping to route and deal with. PD bolt's right in place of the intake manifold, but you will have more hoses and wiring to run for the Intercooler system. Both are good setups but I am more biased to PD for a street car because it's more noticeable even when you are just part throttle driving. You don't have to rev the piss out of the engine to get into some good torque and feel the pull.

For example...I was cruising down the road in 5th gear(A8) at 40mph, some turbo Ford Focus came up beside me and kicked it down. I happen to have it in manual mode so I just floored it in 5th without letting it kick down and I pulled his ass like he was sitting still.. the engine was only around 3k rpm lol. That wouldn't happen with a Centri...you would of needed to skip shift down to 3rd at minimum to get up in some power.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #4
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
If you want the engine to feel like it's noticeably more powerful through most of the rpm range then Positive Displacement is the way. If you want the car to feel like stock down low and the power to come on more linear(most noticeable above 4500rpm) then Centrifugal is what you want. Centri has more piping to route and deal with. PD bolt's right in place of the intake manifold, but you will have more hoses and wiring to run for the Intercooler system. Both are good setups but I am more biased to PD for a street car because it's more noticeable even when you are just part throttle driving. You don't have to rev the piss out of the engine to get into some good torque and feel the pull.

For example...I was cruising down the road in 5th gear(A8) at 40mph, some turbo Ford Focus came up beside me and kicked it down. I happen to have it in manual mode so I just floored it in 5th without letting it kick down and I pulled his ass like he was sitting still.. the engine was only around 3k rpm lol. That wouldn't happen with a Centri...you would of needed to skip shift down to 3rd at minimum to get up in some power.
^ I agree very much with the above, however, I feel this information favors the V8 platform, not a v6 as OP was inquiring.

OP, the top mount blower options for the v6 have a history of over promising and under delivering in the power department. If I was dead set on supercharging a v6, I would go with procharger. The base procharger kit sets you up with the same blower they offer the v8 camaros. You can upgrade to the p1x for $200 more, I'd also go with their stage 2 intercooler. That's a blower set up that I doubt you will maximize on a v6 as you will run out of fuel in the 500hp range. Procharger claims 500hp on their v6 kit and they deliver, just don't expect v8 torque.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:49 PM   #5
Chevy1American

Drives: 2SS
Having been lucky enough to drive the Procharger V6 development car I can definatly vouch that that thing is rapid was really impressed with how it drove and the pull it had. My own car is a D1X equipped SS and i was quite surprised how that V6 went very impressive
Chevy1American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:46 PM   #6
KingLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
^ I agree very much with the above, however, I feel this information favors the V8 platform, not a v6 as OP was inquiring.

OP, the top mount blower options for the v6 have a history of over promising and under delivering in the power department. If I was dead set on supercharging a v6, I would go with procharger. The base procharger kit sets you up with the same blower they offer the v8 camaros. You can upgrade to the p1x for $200 more, I'd also go with their stage 2 intercooler. That's a blower set up that I doubt you will maximize on a v6 as you will run out of fuel in the 500hp range. Procharger claims 500hp on their v6 kit and they deliver, just don't expect v8 torque.
Positive displacement adds 1 thing the V6 lacks and that is torque. I do agree the Procharger will make more power but if this is a daily then as I said previously increasing power under the curve makes more sense imo.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:54 PM   #7
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Positive displacement adds 1 thing the V6 lacks and that is torque. I do agree the Procharger will make more power but if this is a daily then as I said previously increasing power under the curve makes more sense imo.
Agreed. The V6 horsepower is good for its size, just use a PD blower to jump up the torque across the board and the car will be way more fun to drive IMO.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:24 PM   #8
LT1ornothing

Not disagreeing with either of you king or joshinator, the positive displacement top mount blower WILL produce more torque everywhere in the rev range and will be more fun down low. However every buildbesides overkills threads i have read about a v6 top mount blower, the advertised gains are never reached. The centrifugal procharger blower may not deliver the ass kicking immediate torque of the top mount blowers, but it will shine up top, and in my opinion, much better on the dohc high revving v6 platform. I believed the welded exhaust manifold to the heads really adversely affects the potential of a top mount blower on those LGXs
Old 04-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #9
KingLT1

I think you are missing what I am saying to some degree. In my mind if I am buying a V6 then I don't care about what makes more peak power. I want something that delivers more average power across the board that I can utilize on a daily basis.

I understand that the Edelbrock isn't netting advertised gains...that has been common with that company for a long time. Either way I am sure it is still showing a pretty good gain across the RPM range which will make the V6 feel more spirited to drive. Where as the Centri can actually make it feel more sluggish down low since the engine has to spin the supercharger and it doesn't build power till much higher in the RPM band. That would take away from the driving experience on a engine that doesn't make a lot of low end torque in my mind.

However putting a Centri on a V8 that already makes plenty of low end torque wouldn't matter as much.
Old 04-15-2021, 09:52 AM   #10
LT1ornothing

Quote:
I think you are missing what I am saying to some degree. In my mind if I am buying a V6 then I don't care about what makes more peak power. I want something that delivers more average power across the board that I can utilize on a daily basis.

I understand that the Edelbrock isn't netting advertised gains...that has been common with that company for a long time. Either way I am sure it is still showing a pretty good gain across the RPM range which will make the V6 feel more spirited to drive. Where as the Centri can actually make it feel more sluggish down low since the engine has to spin the supercharger and it doesn't build power till much higher in the RPM band. That would take away from the driving experience on a engine that doesn't make a lot of low end torque in my mind.

However putting a Centri on a V8 that already makes plenty of low end torque wouldn't matter as much.
Agreed on all points King, the top mount blower will be much more useful and fun toying around in the lower rpms where the car will spend most of its time. The v6 torque is lacking from the factory and a top mount blower will greatly assist in that area.

I'd still choose the procharger on the v6, it may not aide the v6 down low like a top mount blower, but it will transform the v6 from 4k to redline and would not heat soak nearly as easily as the top mount blower would. Having the exhaust manifold welded to the heads from the factory is not going to do a top mount blower any favors in mitigating heat soak. (Which is one of the reasons I believe Edelbrocks advertised numbers are never reached on their v6 system)