Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

AWE Tuning

Old 09-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
2019 and up with Bose: please make comments here

Since GM changed the IOS and hardware architecture for the Bose system for the 2019 model year, I thought it would be prudent for everyone who has questions about it or has done major upgrades (replacing the factory Bose amp and speakers) to put their comments and tips here.

Again, this is for ONLY model years 2019-up and ONLY Camaros equipped with the factory Bose system.

Thanks!
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
SWRocket

Drives: 2021 2SS
Great call on this thread.
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
-----------------------------------------------------------
2014 Z/28 Summit White - sold 2020
2010 2SS/RS Summit White - sold 2014
SWRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:09 AM   #3
SWRocket

In case anyone needs this: The Camaro Master sheet that Crutchfield sent me when I ordered my speakers
2016-2020 Camaro Master Sheet
2021 2SS A10 - Summit White - NPP - MRC - Adrenaline Red Interior Pkg - Black Appearance Pkg - Ground Effect Pkg - Suede Steering Wheel and shifter - Red Calipers - Carbon Flash Wheels w black lug nuts - DD Tinted Side Markers - Hero Tinted Rear Reflectors - Redline Fender Badges - 20% Tint
Audio System Build Log
Old 09-29-2020, 07:46 AM   #4
SWRocket

Does anyone know if the 5 1/4" speakers by the back seat are 4Ohm or 2Ohm with the Bose system?
I'm planning on running differential rear fill and could use the stocks since they'll be playing limited range and attenuated 20db but only if they're 4 Ohm.
Audio System Build Log
Old 11-08-2020, 10:23 AM   #5
Silent_H_

Drives: '21 V6 1LE
I have a 2021 with the Bose speakers, and I'm not sure if this is normal or not: ~90% of the sound seems to come from the front of the car. If I use the fader and move it to the rear, I lose almost all sound. Are there just not really any speakers back there, or is there a chance my car didn't get wired properly?

Thanks!
Silent_H_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #6
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_H_ View Post
I have a 2021 with the Bose speakers, and I'm not sure if this is normal or not: ~90% of the sound seems to come from the front of the car. If I use the fader and move it to the rear, I lose almost all sound. Are there just not really any speakers back there, or is there a chance my car didn't get wired properly?

Thanks!
The 6x9’s in the rear package shelf are low pass only, theoretically your subwoofers. So the only mids and highs that come out of the rear is the 5 1/4” mid-range speakers in the side panels next to the back seat. So yes most of your mids and highs come out of your front speakers. The rears are really just bass and filler.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:15 PM   #7
Silent_H_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
The 6x9’s in the rear package shelf are low pass only, theoretically your subwoofers. So the only mids and highs that come out of the rear is the 5 1/4” mid-range speakers in the side panels next to the back seat. So yes most of your mids and highs come out of your front speakers. The rears are really just bass and filler.
OK good to know. It's weird though - the bass totally cuts out if I shift audio fully to the rear. Maybe I'll have my dealer verify that it's all hooked up. I did check that there *are* speakers there haha.
Old 11-08-2020, 03:06 PM   #8
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
OK good to know. It's weird though - the bass totally cuts out if I shift audio fully to the rear. Maybe I'll have my dealer verify that it's all hooked up. I did check that there *are* speakers there haha.
Lol yeah That’s probably the way it’s designed. I’ll try it out when I get in my car later today. The processor will roll the bass boost down as you turn the volume up, so it may do the same as you turn the faders to the rear. They designed it like that so people don’t blow the “subs” at loud volumes.

That’s why people are keen on going with the ZEN AVB for a complete aftermarket system. It takes all the processed garbage from GM’s software architecture and turns it into full bandwidth analog audio on all channels that does not roll off. I’m just waiting for Zen to get some bugs worked out.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #9
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Here’s what happens: when you fade to the rear you’re losing your 6x9s in the lower front door panels. Those provide a lot of bass apparently, not just mids like I had originally thought. The way the imaging is set up on this car you need to have it completely centered and sitting in the front seats to get the best sound.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #10
Silent_H_

OK thank you for all the extra info! It doesn't bother me much, but just seemed odd enough that I thought there was a chance something wasn't hooked up. Really odd that they don't really use the rear speakers much at all since they're there.

Cheers!
Old 11-10-2020, 10:37 AM   #11
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
OK thank you for all the extra info! It doesn't bother me much, but just seemed odd enough that I thought there was a chance something wasn't hooked up. Really odd that they don't really use the rear speakers much at all since they're there.

Cheers!
Yeah I’m thinking when I do my system I’m just going to remove the side panel speakers completely. It’s where your reverse and blind spot sensors beep out of but the Zen processor mixes everything down to 4 standard stereo channels so the rear beeps would just come out of my package shelf 6x9s. You can easily do so much better with an aftermarket system and 6 speakers (front tweeters, front 6x9s, rear full bandwidth 6x9s). Couple of good amps and high quality speakers and you won’t even need a sub box taking up trunk space.
Old 11-16-2020, 03:03 AM   #12
SWRocket

Rear side speakers in Bose equipped 2SS

For anyone looking to replace the side rear speakers in a Bose system, I just finished that part of the install yesterday using the Scosche SAC-656 Adapters. They work great and easy to install. I used the Dayton Audio DC130B-4 which you can see mounted in the adapter on the right with the OEM Bose speaker left.
Here are some pics
Attached Images

Audio System Build Log
Old 11-23-2020, 05:12 AM   #13
SWRocket

6x9 install in doors

Just finished installing Audio Frog GS690s in the doors and thought I'd put some info on the adapters I used.
I bought pre-fab adapters from Audio Designs made for the Camaro and the speakers.
I used NVX baffles for sealing the speakers in. Both the adapters and the baffles are excellent and work very well.
Here are some pics:
Attached Images

Audio System Build Log
Old 12-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #14
SWRocket

Just an FYI, for anyone running the Zen AVB-GM, there was a firmware update in September that you can download. Not 100% sure what it fixes, but just in case...
Audio System Build Log