Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 09-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #43
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
The Havoline ProDS 5/40 is Dexos 2 approved and is like $5.60 a quart or so at Napa, or was last month anyway. Which oil did you just order? I can get the Mobil ESP at my son's work for $7.50 a quart, I may end up just running that so I'm not switching back and forth unless I know it will be a while before my next track visit. Lately, I've done one HPDE two years ago and doing another one in November.
Last month I ordered the Amalie and due to the covid it took two weeks to arrive. I just checked Napa and the Havoline sale is over, it's now $7.70/qt.
I'm going to keep an eye on the Havoline for a sale in a couple months, then try and pick some up as there's a Napa right around the corner.

Still running the last of my Valvoline, probably got another 3000+/- miles before my next oil change, then I get to try out the Amalie.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:11 PM   #44
jeep_junkie

Drives: 2000 Trans Am M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRunner01 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Mobil1-123875...s%2C191&sr=8-1

Amazon has it for 7.75 per qt pls tx.
Price dropped right after I bought mine. Just my luck 😂.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:14 PM   #45
JRunner01

Drives: 2019 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
The Havoline ProDS 5/40 is Dexos 2 approved and is like $5.60 a quart or so at Napa, or was last month anyway. Which oil did you just order? I can get the Mobil ESP at my son's work for $7.50 a quart, I may end up just running that so I'm not switching back and forth unless I know it will be a while before my next track visit. Lately, I've done one HPDE two years ago and doing another one in November.
Havoline - just now checked on line is like 7.64 per qt.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/HAR223504482
Old 09-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #46
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRunner01 View Post
So if we can find a dexos2 in 5w40 (while at a price per qt lower than apprx $7.xx for M1 ESP) then we should be ok for either track use or street. I know that it calls for 0w40 for either track or street but if the 0w vs 5w is just for better flow while reaching normal operating temps then the 0w part isn't REALLY a needed specification as GM leads us to believe needed at the track. Its really the 40 that they are suggesting is all around for street and track vs say a 5w30 for street only, where the 30 would be too low for track. At least I think all the above is what I've been reading and hearing discussed on this forum.
The cold viscosity requirement has nothing to do with track requirements. It's all about wear and tear on cold start through warm-up. IOW, it's all about regular street use. The difference in viscosity between that Havoline stuff and Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40 is huge: 83.6mm2/s vs 69 for the Mobil 1. They don't even list flash point or high-temp/high-shear for the Havoline, so it's not all that clear how well it will protect during a track day.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:14 AM   #47
Boost Creep

I thought the performance supplement of the owners manual suggested 15w50 for track use.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #48
jeep_junkie

Drives: 2000 Trans Am M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
I thought the performance supplement of the owners manual suggested 15w50 for track use.

It does, but for track use only. Looking at the High Performance Owner's Manual Supplement here right now, page 15 clearly states:
"Change the engine oil to 0w-40 or 5w-40 that meets the dexos2 specification. If this oil is not available, the following oils can be used as an alternative: Valvoline SYNPOWER MST 5w-40 or Mobil1 15w-50. If 15w-50 is used, the engine oil must be changed after the track event."
So basically the Mobil115w-50 is really the only track-only oil for the SS 1LE. If I had CAREFULLY read the HPOMS, I could have also picked a dexos2 5w-40 oil or the Valvoline SYNPOWER MST 5w-40 stuff for street and track duty alike .
Old 09-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #49
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_junkie View Post
It does, but for track use only. Looking at the High Performance Owner's Manual Supplement here right now, page 15 clearly states:
"Change the engine oil to 0w-40 or 5w-40 that meets the dexos2 specification. If this oil is not available, the following oils can be used as an alternative: Valvoline SYNPOWER MST 5w-40 or Mobil1 15w-50. If 15w-50 is used, the engine oil must be changed after the track event."
So basically the Mobil115w-50 is really the only track-only oil for the SS 1LE. If I had CAREFULLY read the HPOMS, I could have also picked a dexos2 5w-40 oil or the Valvoline SYNPOWER MST 5w-40 stuff for street and track duty alike .
The 15w50 stuck in my memory because if I tracked my car that's the only oil I would've used.
15-20 minutes of cruising around at 5,000 rpm?
I'm using the heaviest oil I can.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #50
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
The 15w50 stuck in my memory because if I tracked my car that's the only oil I would've used.
15-20 minutes of cruising around at 5,000 rpm?
I'm using the heaviest oil I can.
I honestly don't think that's the best rule of thumb. I seriously, seriously doubt that the Camaro GT4R or the Corvette C7R used 15w-50. There's generally no reason to go that thick and it's just going to make the pump work harder. The reason it's called for in the ZLE is sure just due to the heat generated by the supercharged engine combined with the very high forces it can generate on track with a wet-sump engine. But I'm going to try to find out what oil the endurance racers actually use, because now I'm curious.
Old 09-03-2020, 08:08 PM   #51
Boost Creep

https://www.racingjunk.com/news/mobi...olet-corvette/

Quote:
Chevrolet also named Mobil 1 5W-30, which meets or exceed the GM dexos1® specifications, as the recommended service fill for all Corvette models on the street, while 15W-50 is recommended for on-track and high-performance applications.

“Because of the performance demonstrated by Mobil 1 over the years, this has been a natural fit for both parties,” says Roger Hood, US Motorsports Technical Advisory for ExxonMobil. “GM knows that a high performance engine needs a high performance oil. Mobil 1 started the synthetic oil category 40 years ago and has a record of excellence. Our new technology provides outstanding high and low temperature performance, which is great for the track and for the street.”

Mobil 1 lubricants also power Corvette Racing’s C7.R in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. Use of this oil in the race series helps Mobil 1 develop the technology for use on the street, and it also is a good reminder that when using your Corvette in both situations, it’s always best to drain out the regular oil and replace it with race oil when taking it to the track.

“15W50 oil is one of the original racing oils,” says Hood, “We’ve been advocating for years for folks to take the 5W30 out and put the race oil in.” To solidify their alliance, and show how committed they are to this performance, as of this factory roll out, the suggestion will now be in the Corvette owners manual.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:48 PM   #52
D_H

Drives: '19 Camaro M1SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
I made the change GM 12686472, ACDelco FC265
Hey, so that Mobil 1 oil cap from Amazon fit nicely, just like OEM or what?

It's in my cart now. Everyone is putting them in the C7 though. Nice to see a good confirmation of it in a camaro LT1.
D_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #53
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_H View Post
Hey, so that Mobil 1 oil cap from Amazon fit nicely, just like OEM or what?

It's in my cart now. Everyone is putting them in the C7 though. Nice to see a good confirmation of it in a camaro LT1.

Yea it works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:48 PM   #54
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Yea it works

Enlighten me.
What am I looking at.
I see the oil cap mentioned, I see a catch can, an A/C line, strut tower and STB.

What is the nipple with the valve?

Wait, catch can drain?
Old 09-09-2020, 07:14 PM   #55
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Enlighten me.
What am I looking at.
I see the oil cap mentioned, I see a catch can, an A/C line, strut tower and STB.

What is the nipple with the valve?

Wait, catch can drain?

Yea it’s the mishimoto catch can drain. I just located it there with zip ties for now

Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:25 PM   #56
Boost Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Yea it’s the mishimoto catch can drain. I just located it there with zip ties for now

I've got an old Elite catch can, no drain, you have to open the can and dump.