Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-05-2021, 07:27 PM   #127
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons_nh View Post
Sounds like you have a great dealer!
They seem to be great.

They are a full service dealer - Caddy, Buick, GMC, Chevy... so maybe that is the reason. Not sure.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:24 PM   #128
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
I’m buying this used 2020 ZL1 Vert and the delaminating rear window thing is very concerning. How common is this issue? As others have said, it’s not a “normal” issue that dealers are used to handling.

I was going to close on it this Friday, if I find evidence of delamination, should I walk?
Attached Images

Big Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:01 PM   #129
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
I tried to gauge how common this concerning issue really is by starting the thread below. I'm still not sure what percent of vert owners wind up with the problem.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=paranoia+poll
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #130
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
I have to say, that’s the best looking ZL1 convertible I’ve ever seen

If the glass is delaminating, have them replace the top before you accept the car.

Some people have had the issue for sure, but it gets rectified with a warrantee replacement (in most cases). So not a big deal...
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:31 PM   #131
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I have to say, that’s the best looking ZL1 convertible I’ve ever seen

If the glass is delaminating, have them replace the top before you accept the car.

Some people have had the issue for sure, but it gets rectified with a warrantee replacement (in most cases). So not a big deal...
Thx Chutzpah! I actually popped over to the dealers this afternoon and checked and it’s fine. Seal is flush with the canvas and the border is consistent all the way around with no dark black “pocks” or delam evidence.

Can’t wait to get her home... actually, I can’t wait for a warm Spring day to enjoy her, but getting her home will be a good start.
Big Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:16 PM   #132
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
Thx Chutzpah! I actually popped over to the dealers this afternoon and checked and it’s fine. Seal is flush with the canvas and the border is consistent all the way around with no dark black “pocks” or delam evidence.

Can’t wait to get her home... actually, I can’t wait for a warm Spring day to enjoy her, but getting her home will be a good start.
Excellent, that’s good news about the glass.

Just a heads up- (if you don’t already know), driving or moving the car with tires that are colder than 40-45F, “may” cause the rubber to crack (if they’re stock tires). I’ve driven down to 40F, but it’s not recommended. At lower temps the tires are hard and a slippery....

Hope all works out and you get her home soon.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 03:02 PM   #133
MANNAXMAN

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warsteiner View Post
I purchased some 3M top glue, 3M primer, and suction cup clamps and am going to attempt my own repair for mine. Mine is just in one corner and I have read on other forums (this is a common issue for all convertibles) that this can work. I figure what have I got to lose? If this works I save $1400 (the supplies cost me about $100).

I will let you guys know how it goes once it is done.
Did you ever get around to attempting this repair? I imagine for those having the issue starting along the outside edge of the glass that this type of repair would be easier than for those of us who have the issue along the edge of the opening in the convertible top, as pictured here.
1961 Volkswagen Beetle with Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (2009-Present)
1964 Volkswagen Beetle with aftermarket Sliding Ragtop Sunroof (Sold)
Follow me on Instagram - @gen6_2ss_vert
MANNAXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 12:19 AM   #134
Carlosch91

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible
Hello, all. Does anyone have any idea on what the repair bill is going to run for to fix the rear window? I no longer have bumper to bumper warranty. I have a 2017 1SS vert with 39k miles. The window glue has been getting continuously worse. should I reach out to GM? Id post some images but I'm not fully sure how. Thanks in advance.
Carlosch91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:42 AM   #135
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
They seem to be great.

They are a full service dealer - Caddy, Buick, GMC, Chevy... so maybe that is the reason. Not sure.
For reference "they fixed the issue in 2018" but my 2020 built July of 2019 had the problem.

If you do find evidence and deal is right, make them fix it first then do another "walk around" before you sign.

You do not have a quality dealer in Chicago area?
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:44 AM   #136
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosch91 View Post
Hello, all. Does anyone have any idea on what the repair bill is going to run for to fix the rear window? I no longer have bumper to bumper warranty. I have a 2017 1SS vert with 39k miles. The window glue has been getting continuously worse. should I reach out to GM? Id post some images but I'm not fully sure how. Thanks in advance.
Probably a couple thousand. It might be cheaper if you find a good trim shop too, but the biggest cost would probably be the top itself. I know my local dealer sends out all the top replacements to a high end trim shop nearby.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:09 AM   #137
the chosen one

Drives: 2017 Convertible 1SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosch91 View Post
I got a quote from a reputable shop for $2550 to replace the top. Another guy quoted me $1800 for a full top or $200 to rebond the rear window but wouldn’t guarantee the window repair. If you had this issue before while you were under warranty and the dealer won’t cover the cost now, call GMs corporate customer service and ask for them to foot the bill because their design is obviously flawed.

So after some back and forth with the dealer, they’ve offered to replace my top for $1200. It’ll actually be done by the same place that quoted $2550 so it’s a fairly decent deal. I’m still haggling with GMs customer service on lowering the cost but I’m not too hopeful they’ll budge more than the dealerships latest offer.

Last edited by the chosen one; 02-24-2021 at 05:23 PM.
the chosen one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #138
Warsteiner

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2LT RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by MANNAXMAN View Post
Did you ever get around to attempting this repair? I imagine for those having the issue starting along the outside edge of the glass that this type of repair would be easier than for those of us who have the issue along the edge of the opening in the convertible top, as pictured here.
Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. My attempt to repair failed. It lasted all of about 2 months. I went to a shop here in town and the guy there said he has done a lot of these. He said he will not even offer the re-glue anymore because it never lasts more than his warranty he gives (1 year). He gave me a good price of $1400 out the door for a new top and I jumped on it. The parts should be here in about 10 days and the repair will take 2 days to complete. The hardest part about the re-glue is getting the thing clamped. None of the clamps I tried were all that good. I think if you really want to re-glue you will have to completely remove the top to glue it.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:30 PM   #139
Buttercup

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2018 SS
Hi I am a new owner of a 2018 1ss and have the issue with the glue on back window thank you to whoever posted the TSB for this I took it to the dealership. so I have 3 issues my radio does not get good reception and my sirius xm gets blocked? and the sliding piece on the side was broken when I was in process of buying it, which they replaced. it has been 3 months and it has broken again. so my question is my dealership wants me to bring in the car and they will give me a car while its in the shop but I cant get a time on how long they will have my car? I hate giving it to them with no time on getting it back. they have the part to fix radio reception, anyone know how long it takes to get the glass/ hood fixed or replaced?
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:24 PM   #140
Ajs16400

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible
Well it happened to me just 5 days before out of warranty. The dealer has ordered the parts and was told a seperate company would be coming to my house to repair it.
Attached Images

Ajs16400 is offline   Reply With Quote