Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-17-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
PCV hose mess clean up

Ok someone please educate me. My end game intent is to clean up the mess of hoses for the pcv system. I’m reading that some can be capped off with just a tiny filter cap. Which one exactly. What I would like to do with the rest is use flexible 3/8 hose so that I can route and tie the lines in a more attractive manner. Especially since I’ll be running a LT2 manifold with cover. The plastic unmovable lines just look ugly and out of place. How doable is this? Can the one going to the intake tube be deleted. Will the required lines being longer effective their performance? Etc. I need some schooling lol
ThePeoplesCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
My advice would be too not touch any of it. It's a tricky game to play and can have unintended consequences of bad engine performance of you screw something up.

If you are dead on intent to do this, you need to read and research the PCV system and know every little aspect of it's operation.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:21 AM   #3
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I agree with Jaxcam02, unless you research the PCV system and know exactly what you are doing, best not to mess with it.

You could end up causing a ton of problems.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
It's really not complicated.

Back in the old days, you had a "road draft tube" that vented the CC at idle and created a slight vacuum cruising. (Bernoulli Principle)

As emission controls started to be added, the "closed loop" or "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" system was used to help prevent HC emissions.

The way it works is under high manifold vacuum it sucks fresh air from the intake tract
(hose to the intake tube) that will go to the crankcase.

The other side has a spring loaded "metering" valve. Again, when manifold vacuum is high enough, it sucks open the valve and the fresh air/unburnt HC, etc. go into the manifold to be reburned.

If there isn't enough vacuum (WOT), the valve shuts and the air rushing thru the intake
creates the vacuum (Bernoulli Principle) and the flow reverses. (There is no fresh air going into the CC during WOT. It is under vacuum only)
Old 04-18-2021, 12:13 PM   #5
Jaxcam02

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
It's really not complicated.

Back in the old days, you had a "road draft tube" that vented the CC at idle and created a slight vacuum cruising. (Bernoulli Principle)

As emission controls started to be added, the "closed loop" or "Positive Crankcase Ventilation" system was used to help prevent HC emissions.

The way it works is under high manifold vacuum it sucks fresh air from the intake tract
(hose to the intake tube) that will go to the crankcase.

The other side has a spring loaded "metering" valve. Again, when manifold vacuum is high enough, it sucks open the valve and the fresh air/unburnt HC, etc. go into the manifold to be reburned.

If there isn't enough vacuum (WOT), the valve shuts and the air rushing thru the intake
creates the vacuum (Bernoulli Principle) and the flow reverses. (There is no fresh air going into the CC during WOT. It is under vacuum only)
Yea the principle is easy to understand. But if he's looking in the engine bay and doesn't know which hose does what, then he shouldn't be touching anything. A full understanding of the hose routings and air flow should be achieved before altering anything. It's too easy to allow unmetered air into the system or have vacuum leaks.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Not if you do one at a time...
Old 04-18-2021, 05:13 PM   #7
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

Where can I find a write up of what each hose does to learn. I understand the line my catch can go to. Replace the short line on the driver side of the engine with the in and out of the catch can. To easy. It’s the lines from the valve covers that connect to the little plastic box on the passenger side of the engine that’s third connection attaches to the intake that has me stumped.
Old 04-18-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
Jaxcam02

That little component your talking about is the clean side oil separator. I haven't dug too much into the LT1 PCV, but I would assume the two lines coming from the valve covers flow from the oil separator into the valve covers. I think the line in the middle comes from the intake. There's a drain in the bottom that allows the oil to seep back into the oil pan.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #9
Hotwheeltat

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE

It's really not that big a deal. I just ordered a bunch of various fittings and hose from Mighty Mouse when I ordered my catch can. The hose routing for the PCV and fuel line are horrible. Rerouted the PCV lines and added the strut tower brace to block the view of the fuel line.

Last edited by Hotwheeltat; 04-19-2021 at 09:04 AM. Reason: added text
Hotwheeltat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:30 AM   #10
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheeltat View Post

It's really not that big a deal. I just ordered a bunch of various fittings and hose from Mighty Mouse when I ordered my catch can. The hose routing for the PCV and fuel line are horrible. Rerouted the PCV lines and added the strut tower brace to block the view of the fuel line.

Nice. Exactly what I’ll be accomplishing.
Of course now I have another issue. A buddy was being an extra hand during a oil change and leaned on one of the lines. Broke the nipple on the factory clean side oil separator........ seems like I can attempt a plastic weld repair because I’m not about to pull a water pump for a emissions ventilation system. Lmao
Old 04-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #11
Hotwheeltat

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Thank you. Good luck on your repair.
Hotwheeltat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:10 PM   #12
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

Well guys I did it. Did my research figured out it would cause no issues. And damn does it look good.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2021, 08:23 PM   #13
Jaxcam02

Nice job. Glad you got it the way you wanted
Old 04-30-2021, 09:34 PM   #14
mrkyleman

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Looks great! Where did you get your parts from if you don't mind me asking?
mrkyleman is offline   Reply With Quote