Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-01-2021, 10:40 PM   #1
dethzombi

Drives: 17 Camaro SS Red Hot
Ceramic Coating for Headers?

I recently bought a new pair of Kooks 1 7/8" headers and was wondering about ceramic coating or wrapping them. Which one is better and why? If it's the ceramic coating, where can I get that done at? I'm in the DFW area.
dethzombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:18 PM   #2
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
Ceramic all the way.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #3
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
Ceramic is totally worth it! Anything to keep the engine temps down is worth it!
I'm shocked people are still wrapping their headers..

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #4
dethzombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE View Post
Ceramic all the way.
That's what I've been reading, but I'm very unsure of where to get it done at. I don't really know what places do something like that or if it's something I buy and do myself.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #5
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethzombi View Post
I recently bought a new pair of Kooks 1 7/8" headers and was wondering about ceramic coating or wrapping them. Which one is better and why? If it's the ceramic coating, where can I get that done at? I'm in the DFW area.
Can’t help you in your area for coating companies. You could ship to Swaintech. I’m in the same boat looking for good ceramic coating company.

Also, this is a long read but good information comparing wrap vs coated.

https://www.centuryperformance.com/e...o-not-use.html

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #6
dethzombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Can’t help you in your area for coating companies. You could ship to Swaintech. I’m in the same boat looking for good ceramic coating company.

Also, this is a long read but good information comparing wrap vs coated.

https://www.centuryperformance.com/e...o-not-use.html
I actually found a place nearby that has good reviews, I think most powder coating places will offer that service of some sort. I found a place called Unit F14 Powder Coating and they said they do ceramic coating for exhaust. I would check powder coating services near you on yelp and find one with good reviews and see if they'll do it.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #7
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
I actually found a place nearby that has good reviews, I think most powder coating places will offer that service of some sort. I found a place called Unit F14 Powder Coating and they said they do ceramic coating for exhaust. I would check powder coating services near you on yelp and find one with good reviews and see if they'll do it.
I’ll take a look. I’m really leaning toward Swaintech or Bonehead. I’ve also read that it’s important to do a 1 hour cure after install. I never read anyone on here talking about the cure process after install. Maybe in depends on the manufacturer of the coating.

https://boneheadperformance.com/cera...-in-procedure/

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:49 AM   #8
xqwisit23

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Vert
This may be a stupid question but will adding headers void your warranty? The dealer installed a Borla Atak exhaust and GM CAI prior to me taking delivery of the vehicle. Wondering if adding headers would be ok
xqwisit23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:27 PM   #9
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xqwisit23 View Post
This may be a stupid question but will adding headers void your warranty? The dealer installed a Borla Atak exhaust and GM CAI prior to me taking delivery of the vehicle. Wondering if adding headers would be ok
Really depends on the dealer, how mod friendly they are, and your relationship with them. Long tube headers require a tune to see the gains and in most situations, a tune will void your power train warranty. Unless they are how I previously mentioned, but that is the exception, not the rule.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #10
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
1) Ceramic coating is light years ahead of wrapping. Swaintech is an a excellent choice, worth the money if you intend to hold on to your vehicle.
2) No mod automatically voids your warranty. The dealer must establish that an unapproved modification caused the problem. Headers essentially require a tune, otherwise they are not worth the cost. A tune will nearly always be identified as a contributing factor to any power train issue.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:23 PM   #11
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
You should have selected this option when you bought them, would have saved yourself a lot of money. KOOK's uses Jet-Hot and another company in the Mooresville area; I think Airborne Coatings. I think they are using Jet-Hot right now, at least that's who I think they used on my SS 1LE headers I purchased a year ago. When I did my headers on my Corvette back in 2012 I think they were done by Airborne. All sets still look like new, my oldest is my 2002 SS which was done back in 2006. Definitely worth doing.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #12
dethzombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Fast View Post
You should have selected this option when you bought them, would have saved yourself a lot of money. KOOK's uses Jet-Hot and another company in the Mooresville area; I think Airborne Coatings. I think they are using Jet-Hot right now, at least that's who I think they used on my SS 1LE headers I purchased a year ago. When I did my headers on my Corvette back in 2012 I think they were done by Airborne. All sets still look like new, my oldest is my 2002 SS which was done back in 2006. Definitely worth doing.
I purchased my headers from Summit Racing so I didn't have that option. However, I found a place that'll do it for not too expensive so I'm going to have them do it. $275 for both of them inside and out.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:35 PM   #13
BruceWayne1LE

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE M6
One thing to note: when Kooks sells you the jet hot coated headers, they are 409 stainless not 304. I would never put 409 SS LTs on my car. Buy the 304ss kooks and get them coated elsewhere. Nothing that JetHot does is proprietary to them.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #14
Motor Fast

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWayne1LE View Post
One thing to note: when Kooks sells you the jet hot coated headers, they are 409 stainless not 304. I would never put 409 SS LTs on my car. Buy the 304ss kooks and get them coated elsewhere. Nothing that JetHot does is proprietary to them.
Where did you hear that from? The ones I ordered are 304 SS and then sent to Jet-Hot for coating. I don't think KOOKs even uses 409 SS.

304 SS KOOKs Headers

And as stated on their website: Manufactured In The USA. Kooks Uses T304 Aircraft Quality Stainless Steel. Kooks Products are Backed by a Limited Lifetime Warranty To the Original Purchaser. Kooks Products Are Dyno And Race Tested and Designed For Maximum Power.