Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #15
slwdwn

Drives: 2020 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Thanks, OP, for the pix.
You have a new crease that doesn't belong, right above a crease you want restored. This is the bad news. The good news is access should be easy with the wheel well liner removed.

You have to consider how "right" you want this to look in a highly visible area. I think PDR will be able to fix it to less than perfect. I would search youtube for any similar repairs. This looks like an exam level project for pdr. You might find something on youtube to help guide your pdr guys. This is not a quickie fix. There are some amazing guys who post to youtube.

If it were my car, I would give pdr a chance before forking over top dollar for the new part and paint. If you want guaranteed perfect, skip the pdr and pay the body shop.
Thanks for the insight. I sent the pictures to the PDR people and they said they can fix it. Fingers crossed. Waiting to schedule time with them.

If PDR can't fit it, would you recommend a body shop to try to fix the existing panel/paint/clear coat or buy a new fender and get it painted and installed?

Also, where does one go to buy a fender that will actually fit as close to OEM as possible?
slwdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #16
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by slwdwn View Post
Thanks for the insight. I sent the pictures to the PDR people and they said they can fix it. Fingers crossed. Waiting to schedule time with them.

If PDR can't fit it, would you recommend a body shop to try to fix the existing panel/paint/clear coat or buy a new fender and get it painted and installed?

Also, where does one go to buy a fender that will actually fit as close to OEM as possible?
If PDR can't fix it, the reasoning would almost certainly be because they can't eliminate the unwanted crease while also restoring the desired one. In other words, beyond repair because the lines will never be right no matter what you do.

If PDR isn't able to repair it to your liking, my suggestion is to seriously consider replacing the fender. Talk to the body shop of your choosing to ask if they would want to try and paint it off of the car and install it (to get the best clear covering) or install first. If they can paint and THEN install, it could be left off of the car for a month, sitting on your back deck in the sun to bake.

As far as where to get the part, check out the parts places online that sell OEM pieces, check with your local dealer and ask about price matching, and then just give up and put it through insurance and pay the deductible only.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 03:27 PM   #17
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I had a dent in nearly the exact same place and in the same shape. I ended up having a shop fix it and repaint since the paint was slightly scuffed at the damaged area as well as had previous minor blemishes. Thankfully they were able to get the creased part looking perfect again. My first thought was finding an oem replacement in the same color off a junker, but it just wasn't happening.
Old 04-20-2021, 04:57 PM   #18
activeSS

Drives: Radiant Red SS 1LE & ZL1
Not possible via PDR, you need a bodyshop. It's repairable. I would put 4.0 hours on it plus paint. Around $475
activeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 04:59 PM   #19
donaldp

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1 M6
A good paintless dent repair guy can get that out. Too bad you're not here in San Diego.

PM me if you're willing to drive here and I'll give you the contact info of the best PDR guy you'll ever find. People come here from all over the world to learn/train from him. You can then send him the pic and he can confirm with you that he can repair it without paint.

That is what I would do, were I you.
donaldp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:20 PM   #20
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldp View Post
A good paintless dent repair guy can get that out.
It's an art. I think a good guy could do it. I have watched some amazing stuff on youtube. But this is not a beginner project. Honestly if your guy can do it i would love to see the video. he probably already has a "greatest repairs" album on his cellphone.

As to the $475 estimate, that is a steal. No body shop in my area would try to fix those lines without installing a new fender. My Saab was hit in that area and it cost the guilty party $1300 out of pocket. new fender plus paint. It was my wife's new employee who hit the car, and I tried to save her some money going the bondo and repaint route. They said no way.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:38 AM   #21
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Do it quick, metal has a memory...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:34 AM   #22
slwdwn

Drives: 2020 Camaro Convertible
Quick update - Several PDR people that saw the car in person said that PDR won't get it back to 100% and 100% is what I am looking for, so I am going to replace the fender.

Local body shops want to paint a portion of the hood and the door to blend the paint. Is this a common practice? It seems a bit unnecessary to paint panels that have no damage. The car only has 2000 miles on it so fading paint shouldn't be an issue.
slwdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 09:37 AM   #23
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Quick update - Several PDR people that saw the car in person said that PDR won't get it back to 100% and 100% is what I am looking for, so I am going to replace the fender.

Local body shops want to paint a portion of the hood and the door to blend the paint. Is this a common practice? It seems a bit unnecessary to paint panels that have no damage. The car only has 2000 miles on it so fading paint shouldn't be an issue.
There's "100%" and then there's "could pass for 100%". Replacing the fender will ALSO not return the car to 100% because A) the fender won't have factory paint or clear on it and B) adjacent panels need to be scuffed, painted, and cleared in an effort to make the new paint blend in more seamlessly with the factory paint.

Personally, I would ask the PDR guys to try it and see how it turns out. You can always replace the fender later if you simply aren't happy.
Old 04-26-2021, 09:44 AM   #24
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Had a similar dent on rear fender. PDR person said it won't be 100%. Looks 100% to me.

I think they say that to cover themselves. It was way cheaper than replacing the fender. So you can always replace the fender if you're not happy. I probably got lucky.....
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:19 AM   #25
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
As mentioned, they do say that to cover their asses. A respected PDR guy in Central Florida (I think someone posted his work earlier) said my similar dent to yours might not be 100% again because there's a chance the metal could be stretched beyond what PDR can fix. I was also quoted $450-650 based on pics and a video I sent him.
Old 04-26-2021, 10:23 AM   #26
indyz

Drives: 2SS, CT-R, LC500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagstar View Post
As mentioned, they do say that to cover their asses. A respected PDR guy in Central Florida (I think someone posted his work earlier) said my similar dent to yours might not be 100% again because there's a chance the metal could be stretched beyond what PDR can fix. I was also quoted $450-650 based on pics and a video I sent him.
Yeah at that price, might as well get a bodyshop fix it. My PDR guy did it in 150$ including tip. I got mine done in Orlando, FL
indyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #27
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Yes, this is common practice.
The real question is why can't they come up with an algorithm or scan technology that lets them mix paint that will exactly match what is on the car?

And my body shop would never go for the idea of PARTIALLY painting the adjacent hood and door and then blending it. They would tell me straight off they could never get the clear right if they didn't do the whole panel.
I would ask the PDR guy to show you some photos of his work and get an estimate. Particularly try to see some of his "less than 100%" repairs. That is a tough repair, so I can see why he doesn't want to promise too much.
Will you feel any better if the body shop does their thing and you notice the clear is cloudy where they "blended" it?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #28
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Yes, this is common practice.
The real question is why can't they come up with an algorithm or scan technology that lets them mix paint that will exactly match what is on the car?

And my body shop would never go for the idea of PARTIALLY painting the adjacent hood and door and then blending it. They would tell me straight off they could never get the clear right if they didn't do the whole panel.
I would ask the PDR guy to show you some photos of his work and get an estimate. Particularly try to see some of his "less than 100%" repairs. That is a tough repair, so I can see why he doesn't want to promise too much.
Will you feel any better if the body shop does their thing and you notice the clear is cloudy where they "blended" it?
The mix of the paint is only part of the process. For metal-flake or pearlescent colors, how much flake or similar matters as does the exact conditions under which it is sprayed because it can have different light-reflecting properties.

While paint is commonly blended onto adjacent panels, the clear has to be done on the whole panel (as far as I understand it) or it will not adhere correctly.