Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

AWE Tuning

Old 04-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
NHills1LE

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
Tires, HPDE, and rain

Getting used to my new 2021 1SS 1LE. It came stock with the usual GY Eagle F1 tires. Have been reading a lot but wanted to see if I've got this right.

The consensus seems to be the Eagles are good on dry pavement, usable with caution on wet pavement, both for street use and the track. But when they start to wear, seems like most are choosing other options.

I'm going to my first HPDE in 2 months. We get a lot of rain here, so if it happens to rain a lot that day, I'll need to really slow down with the Eagles on, as opposed to other tires, but it wouldn't really make much sense to buy/bring a better rain tire to the track. Is that right?

The car will only see intermittent local driving in nice weather, and some track time, and never see snow. So when the Eagles wear out, should I plan for slicks for dry weather at the track, and a good all-season tire for everything else?

Thanks.
NHills1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #2
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
The OE Super Car 3 on the 1LE will outright get you in a pack of trouble at speed with water on the pavement. These tires have NO hydroplane resistance to them. They're fine on city streets when it's wet and your at speeds of about 30-40 but you get above that and hit standing water you can lose the car in a heartbeat.
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:00 PM   #3
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
If you're planning on only one set of rims it depends on what % of time you're planning on street and track. If more street but a little track every now and then and don't care about chasing the absolute fastest lap times then something with a little more compromise like PS4S or Indy Firehawks would probably be better than OE. If chasing lap times but don't plan to street drive in rain much, I'd stick with OE. Put it in PTM Wet with appropriate braking and you'll be OK. You won't be as fast as you could be on a different tire in those situations, but it's not like it's a guaranteed "spin out at every corner" type of thing. Either way, I wouldn't go anything less grippy than the above (like an all-season) if you're planning any regular track days and want to fully enjoy the car.

My personal ultimate someday goal would be to have two sets of wheels, OE with something like PS4S/Indy tires mentioned above for street and wet track use then the other set of something stickier like a Supercar 3R or slicks for dry track use.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:13 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i replaced my michelin ps4s with the oem 1le goodyears and they are way better on track almost 3 seconds faster never raced in the rain with either but i have driven on the streets in both on the rain and the michelins did awesome the goodyears were scary...lol
Old 04-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
WhiteMale

I concur the SC3 when warm and dry is a phenomenal tire. having been nearly spun out in heavy rain because of the zero hydroplane resistance I became very gun shy of that tire in the wet.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:40 PM   #6
NHills1LE

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE
I was actually expecting all along to need two sets of rims and tires, so I have the budget for it. I'm still not sure though about the whole rain/track/street issue.

So best would be to put something like the PS4S on the original rims, for daily use and for wet track use, and put the SC3's on a second set of rims, just for track use on dry days. Do I have it right?
NHills1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 06:46 AM   #7
WhiteMale

I think so, yes.
Old 04-15-2021, 03:04 PM   #8
Osbornsm

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHills1LE View Post
So best would be to put something like the PS4S on the original rims, for daily use and for wet track use, and put the SC3's on a second set of rims, just for track use on dry days. Do I have it right?

Bingo

Mods: Rotofab, Nick Williams 103mm TB, MSD IM, Kooks 1 7/8
Results: 470 hp / 447 tq
Osbornsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 05:03 PM   #9
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I did one session on the goodyears in wet and dry mode and it worked pretty good. Speeds will be lower, but you will learn a lot if you listen to the car...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 06:18 AM   #10
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I went with a second set of OEM 1LE wheels (bought used, 500 miles on them for under $2K WITH OEM tires!)

When my original GYSC3s wear out, I will replace then with likely Continental EC, and keep my other wheels and GYs for the fun stuff!!! I know I will be swapping several times a year, with a Quickjack, wheel swaps are quick and easy and rain does not have to terrify me anymore! lol
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote